Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2017, 10:52:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  GENERAL TOPICS  |  Books & Movies (Moderator: Marshal Halloway)  |  Topic: Most historically accurate western movies? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Most historically accurate western movies?  (Read 2099 times)
Mean Bob Mean
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2017, 08:33:39 am »

Appaloosa? Ed Harris not only gave a great performance, but wrote and directed. He was quite a stickler for detail.

Yes, this is a good one.  Try The Homesman as well.  I also thought the redone True Grit was good, especially the language. 

"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger
Mean Bob Mean
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2017, 08:35:20 am »

From what I've heard, they used the language to show offensive such a town would have been to folks of the period. Had they used the authentic language, everyone would have sounded like Yosemite Sam and the modern audience wouldn't have understood how shocking and offensive a frontier boom town like that was. Given that reasoning, I solidly approve.

Having said that, the show is certainly not for everyone, and I don't blame anyone who turns away from it for the language.

This, you cannot convey the feel of the frontier with authentic frontier language. 

"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger
Jake C
Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2017, 09:05:15 am »

Yes, this is a good one.  Try The Homesman as well.  I also thought the redone True Grit was good, especially the language. 

The Homesman was very good, and the Coen Brothers' True Grit is maybe my favorite film of all time. It was one of two things that got me interested in the Old West & Old West guns. And I agree, I thought they did a very good job with the little details throughout the whole move.

Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800
Capt Quirk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2017, 10:36:18 am »

I don't know about the rest of you folk, but I am a movie nut. By that, I mean that I am into the "behind the scenes" action, as much as what you see on the screen. When I get a DVD, I will watch it, then watch it again with the commentary on. Sometimes, the Director is so very dry, it is painful. Sometimes, they are very entertaining, and give you so much more depth. Deadwood had a few good commentary tracks, some not so much. The ones with Timothy Olyphant are hilarious! Ed Harris gives a decent commentary for Appaloosa, not so much entertaining, as revealing the entire process behind the film. That beautiful looking glass, was created by painting regular glass with varnish, if I remember right. I like the Coen Brothers, but don't own True Grit yet. Waiting for it to pop up on sale. The one thing I like as much as commentary, are dirt cheap DVDs Smiley

PJ Hardtack
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2017, 06:13:13 pm »

For realistic dialogue, how about the remake of "True Grit"? Right out of Portis's book. Formal, stilted, almost a foreign language or spoken by a person whose first language was not English.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  GENERAL TOPICS  |  Books & Movies (Moderator: Marshal Halloway)  |  Topic: Most historically accurate western movies? « previous next »
Jump to: