Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2017, 04:11:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Cas City  |  Greetings!  |  Topic: A late Hello 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A late Hello  (Read 1897 times)
Capt Quirk
Top Active Citizen

« on: June 14, 2017, 08:45:07 pm »

Hello, or Howdy... or Hidey Ho Good Neighbors Smiley
 I don't normally do these "Meet and Greet" things, I just jump on in. So, some of you have already been exposed to my... quirks, and I thank you for answering my questions, and letting me join in anyways.

I grew up in Central Florida, spent most of my time in small towns around the Atlantic Ocean, Indian River, or the Swamp. Learned to shoot on a HogLeg .44, and just sort of ended up playing with almost anything that went BANG!

Fast forward a few decades, and I have a wife and kids. The Father In Law convinces my wife, that living out in Nature and being self sufficient is the way to live. And she took it hook, line, and sinker. Me, I can actually live fine almost anywhere, so off we go, to the middle of nowhere in Georgia. We have 25 acres off grid, where I occasionally hunt deer and turkey, bury innocent vegetables, forage for wild grapes, blackberries, and blueberries, and make wine. We had bees for a while, but they"r-u-n-n  o-f-t". They were nice enough to leave several pounds of honey, so I got to make a big jug of Meade.

Being out here like we are, having guns is a necessity. First, a good rifle for hunting. Started out with a pair of vintage semi auto 22 rifles, a Western Auto and a Sears. Got a lot of rabbits with them, some squirrels, and a turkey. Then I was down by the swamp one early evening, and heard a big cat. Need a bigger gun.  Being a fan of old and reliable, I next got a 1894 Winchester. Great for deer, and more than enough, should that big kitty decide to be a problem. But, that wasn't ideal for working in the woods, as I had to set it down in order to work. I need a hand gun! So, off I go to the gun store. I learned to shoot on a hog leg, so that's what I got, an Uberti Cattleman in .357.

Now I need a holster. I don't know if any of you have been in a gun store lately, but they don't have a lot of decent leather holsters, especially the gun store (Singular, it is a really small "town" here) in town. Lots of cheap holsters, made of nylon or kydex, made in China mostly. So, I end up with this nylon holster that doesn't fit. Nobody had decent holsters and belts for 100 miles. Once again, time to take matters into my own hands. I find a Hobby Lobby, and buy myself a starter kit with tools, some leather scraps in a bag, and go home to make a holster. It was actually pretty good when I finished. Then I decided to go a step further, and made a Buscadaro rig. And then I made one for a fella, and then another... And now I have a new hobby.

And, that is me in a nutshell. I like the old guns, and like to shoot. I just don't do it competitively for sport or reenacting.

dusty texian
Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Dusty Texian

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 04:57:36 pm »

Just saw this!  Nice to meet Ya".  Good on Ya Capt Quirk !  What better way to enjoy life !!! ,,,,DT
Capt Quirk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 05:04:12 pm »

Thank you sir. I don't know if it is a better way of life or not, it has it's ups and downs. Right now, it is gnat and deer fly season, and that makes it unbearable most days... had to cancel Tuesdays. But, on the upside, no neighbors Smiley

Ben Beam
SASS Affiliated Merchant (#105892)
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 08:19:25 pm »

Sounds like a lot of fun. I bet some of the other folks here would enjoying seeing pictures of your Off-the-grid homestead. I know I would. Welcome!

Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!
http://www.BenBeam.com
Capt Quirk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 08:47:20 am »

Well, there are pictures out there. I have/had a photobucket account, but all my pictures disappeared on me. Unfortunately, there weren't any back ups. So, no pics. I may post some new ones from time to time, but I have to warn you... we suck at homesteading. We aren't the Ingals on the Prairie.

The wife loves to plant vegetable, but it is more like burying the poor things than growing. If it doesn't grow wild, it likely isn't going to grow. We have wild Muscadine grapes, Blackberries and Blueberries growing all over, and I learned how to make wine. We had chickens, but something killed them all... and the next two batches as well. We had rabbits, but we had the kind that didn't breed like rabbits. They died too. The only critters that thrive, are the cats and dogs. Anybody need a dog or three?

So, instead of pics, I'll tell you a story. If anybody has looked at my profile, they are likely to be confused by my location- "Middle of the woods in Georgia, where on a quiet night you really can hear Banjo music... and sometimes, Barry Manilow". We had moved up here, three vehicles loaded down with everything, kids, step kids, grand kids, dogs, and everything we thought might help us in the woods. Everything else went into PODS.

We were living in tents, while we cleared a living area, and started to plan a small cabin. And it rained for the first week or two almost non stop. Everything we had was soaked, including the toilet paper. There is a pic floating around somewhere, of our last roll, on a stick drying over the fire. That is about the time the Step Daughter and her Hubby called it quits and went home with their kids. That left me and the Wife, our two boys, the Step Son, and his two girls. At the end of a long day, we would sit around a fire and plan the next day. And that is when we heard a banjo, playing somewhere in the distance. Holy shades of Deliverance, Batman! Ok, that was pretty creepy, but it gets worse...

While we had been setting up our camp, people had bought the land next to us. And it was about this time that the big equipment came in to start clearing some trees. One night, just after the sun had gone down and the logging crews had gone home for the day, we heard vehicles over there. Then we heard one of the big machines start up then die. Start up and die. It was obvious somebody didn't know what they were doing. Then we heard the music from a car stereo... and it was Barry Manilow singing "I write the songs that make the whole world sing".

Scary, but all true.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Cas City  |  Greetings!  |  Topic: A late Hello « previous next »
Jump to: