Author Topic: Gonna switch my .45 Colt Henry to 44-40!  (Read 20154 times)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
Re: Gonna switch my .45 Colt Henry to 44-40!
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2017, 01:55:49 PM »
Weel...I had your membership card ready.... just needed authorization ... :-X

IMHOA ..... your number would have been in the single digits..... :P

Current card carrying.... " Multiple Henry Owners Association "  

#1 Coffin Maker ...with 4 Henry's

#2 Major     3 Henry's -  ( was four, but it was a Circa 1980 with no Parts support , besides it laid down it's life for a certain Russian )

#3  OD3      2 Henry's    ( Iron Frame NOT for sale )

#4  Wool     3 Henry's     ( British Subject ) now we's International

There's 3 aces & Brit for ya.... ;D

Sorry , you no longer cut the mustard or is that .... Cheese  :-\  

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2017, 02:14:26 PM »
Well, congratulations anyway, as I'm sure you didn't like being overextended like that.  I know that Henry was an aggravation, what with the barrel swap fiasco costing you so much unnecessary money and aggravation, and with you only getting an action job out of it in the end--an action job that some lucky soul on GB is going to get to enjoy now.  There were quite a few other fellas trying to sell 1860 Henry rifles on GB.  They hate you now.

I swear, I was going through some mental gymnastics to see if there was a way I could afford to "buy it now" on your rifle myself--even though I had only very recently abandoned the notion of selling my own.  $750 was just too tempting a price for me not to try to invent a method and a justification for coming up with the dough.   So I'm glad someone bought it, because it was really beginning to irritate me.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2017, 03:06:11 PM »
Well, congratulations anyway, as I'm sure you didn't like being overextended like that.  I know that Henry was an aggravation, what with the barrel swap fiasco costing you so much unnecessary money and aggravation, and with you only getting an action job out of it in the end--an action job that some lucky soul on GB is going to get to enjoy now.  There were quite a few other fellas trying to sell 1860 Henry rifles on GB.  They hate you now.

I swear, I was going through some mental gymnastics to see if there was a way I could afford to "buy it now" on your rifle myself--even though I had only very recently abandoned the notion of selling my own.  $750 was just too tempting a price for me not to try to invent a method and a justification for coming up with the dough.   So I'm glad someone bought it, because it was really beginning to irritate me.

Addicting .....  Huh !   ;D

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 12:37:51 AM »

Offline OD#3

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2017, 09:08:43 PM »
Yes, addicting.  I just had another person PM me tonight and ask if mine was still possibly for sale.  And, despite my having already withdrawn it from sale, I was moved by his interest and actually said "yes".  In the end, we failed to strike a deal, and I found myself very much relieved.  I've been considering starting a thread just to inform everyone that my Uberti 1860 Iron Frame is NOT for sale. 

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2017, 10:39:36 PM »
AH, The check (cashier's type) is in the mail.  Our pard MT Marfield made me an awesome deal, so it takes the sting out of selling mine cheap.  I will be getting his 1860 Henry .44-40 Military Model, with trap door in stock and 4 piece cleaning rod, that he got from Dixie Gun Works.  Less than two boxes of smokeless cowboy loads through it.  The Moola is headed his way.  I figure, with my 10 day wait here, about two weeks I will be stylin' with my new Henry, Schofield, and Open Top! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks, pard!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline wool

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 120
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2017, 06:14:03 AM »
Major2---may I, as a UK resident, be allowed a MHOA card? I have a 44/40 brass action rifle, a 44/40 brass action trapper and a 45 Colt colour case hardened action rifle, all Ubertis and love them all.
 Best regards.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2017, 10:35:26 AM »
Hey Wool!!

What's the barrel length on your 44-40 Henry Trapper??  My Trapper is a 16 inch barrel .45 Colt.

Coffinmaker

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2017, 12:05:07 PM »
Wool that would make it..

the International Multiple Henry Owners Association

IMHOA       ...so sure why not  :)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2017, 01:07:02 PM »
Hey Major,

Does having a .44-40 Henry and a .44-40 1866 qualify for  MHOS?  After all, the 1866 was marketed as "The Improved Henry Rifle!"  I plan on using the 1866 when I shoot my  two.44-40 SAAs (one a Cimarron Thunderer and one an early nickel EMF (ASM) Hartford. I plan on using the Henry when I shoot the Open Top and Schofield.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2017, 03:39:31 PM »
Ha ... Improved ?

Members are mostly un-improved ....

Offline wool

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2017, 06:37:36 AM »
Many thanks, Major2.
Coffinmaker, thank you for your reply; the barrel length you asked about is 18.5 inches. I would call that a carbine, but the UK importers of Uberti firearms refers to it as a 'Trapper' in their catalogue.
Best regards.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2017, 09:12:59 AM »
Here's the decal  ;)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2017, 11:42:35 AM »
Ah So Monsieur Blanket   :D

Sometimes, depending on whom's Catalogue one is viewing, the 18.5 Barrel can be called a "Carbine" or a "Trapper."  I my parlance and that Uberti, a "Trapper" has a barrel length of 16 Inches.  Or less if an original.  I and others would call your 18.5 a carbine.  Although, on your side of the Big Puddle, Trapper is quite acceptable.

The wise and talented "Major 2" has detailed a rather nifty decal for those of us how have ascended to that lofty position as "Multiple Henry Rifle Owners."  Alas, the membership committee has determined, while loosely based on the Henry, the 1866 is not truly a Henry.  Winchester calling the rifle the 1866 Henry Improved was a marketing (very ingenious too) ploy to lure buyers to their "new" rifle rather than purchasing a new or used Henry.  Therefore the 1866 is disqualified from consideration as a "Henry."

The decisions reached by "The Committee" may be appealed however.  Simply submit a stamped, self addressed envelope and the required number of Box Tops to The Committee for consideration.  After fair and impartial consideration, your disapproved application will be returned to you fourth with (Box Tops are not refundable).

Coffinmaker
(The Committee  ::))

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2017, 11:59:01 AM »
 ;D ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) Love it, you are a card, sir! 

Ah So Monsieur Blanket   :D

Sometimes, depending on whom's Catalogue one is viewing, the 18.5 Barrel can be called a "Carbine" or a "Trapper."  I my parlance and that Uberti, a "Trapper" has a barrel length of 16 Inches.  Or less if an original.  I and others would call your 18.5 a carbine.  Although, on your side of the Big Puddle, Trapper is quite acceptable.

The wise and talented "Major 2" has detailed a rather nifty decal for those of us how have ascended to that lofty position as "Multiple Henry Rifle Owners."  Alas, the membership committee has determined, while loosely based on the Henry, the 1866 is not truly a Henry.  Winchester calling the rifle the 1866 Henry Improved was a marketing (very ingenious too) ploy to lure buyers to their "new" rifle rather than purchasing a new or used Henry.  Therefore the 1866 is disqualified from consideration as a "Henry."

The decisions reached by "The Committee" may be appealed however.  Simply submit a stamped, self addressed envelope and the required number of Box Tops to The Committee for consideration.  After fair and impartial consideration, your disapproved application will be returned to you fourth with (Box Tops are not refundable).

Coffinmaker
(The Committee  ::))
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline wool

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2017, 03:08:54 PM »
That decal is a pure work of art, Major2. I suppose I was fated to become a Henry addict since I was named 'Henry' at birth almost 75 years ago!

Best regards.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2017, 06:49:05 PM »
That decal is a pure work of art, Major2. I suppose I was fated to become a Henry addict since I was named 'Henry' at birth almost 75 years ago!

Best regards.

your is on it way to DERBYSHIRE ,  UK  :)

Offline wool

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2017, 05:41:34 AM »
Many thanks, Major2; I will report it's safe arrival.

Best regards.

Offline wool

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2017, 06:17:43 AM »
Major2 I wish to report the safe arrival in the UK of my IMHOA decal, as promised. That certainly was rapid service across the Atlantic and will cause some envy at my local shooting club this evening. I am extremely grateful.
I keep looking at the photos and reports on the Original Henry rifle which is currently being made in the USA. I find it difficult to accept  that it costs the equivalent of around $3200 over here, compared with $1600 for the Uberti version. Can it be twice as good?

Best regards.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2017, 09:10:03 AM »
you are very welcome  ...Sir

as to your question......Can it be twice as good?

.as a owner of both .... I'll state

the cost of Manufacture in New Jersey VS Gardone is the culprit....

Keep in mind  HRA  came into the game  30 years after Uberti first started ...so CNC & tooling costs were higher
not to mention , wages, health & welfare for Louie in NJ.  VS  same for Luigi in Gardone ( Italian nationalized Insurance )

The cost of living a large factor..... all that means a USA made Henry H011 is going to cost more.....

Now,  is it worth it...???   that is up to the buyer

I like BOTH , glad to have them ( 2 Uberti's & one HRA H011 ) I can comment that HRA's Customers service seems TOP Drawer
I haven't needed them but, I hear good things.

But if I were put on the spot.... Uberti's price line is too hard to pass .... 

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2017, 09:24:07 AM »
I actually got to handle one of the HRA 1860 Henry at the last local match.  Very nice!  The wood was GORGEOUS! and finish beautiful.  The action was VERY smooth. It is a very well done weapon. My only complaint about the HRA Henry is that all of the sharp edges on the receiver and the barrel seemed to be slightly "rounded" compared to the Uberti. 

Would I refuse one given to me?  Heck no.  Would I pay twice as much for one, Nope.  I used the extra money for an 1876 Centennial.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com