Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2017, 07:07:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  1860 Henry (Moderators: Flint, Major 2)  |  Topic: Gonna switch my .45 Colt Henry to 44-40! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gonna switch my .45 Colt Henry to 44-40!  (Read 5209 times)
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2017, 10:59:40 am »

Hey!!  I must agree with the Pryor guys.  Now you have your rifle back.  "It's a Good Thing" (stolen line from famous personality).  It's a 45 and suffers Blow-By.  That's rather normal.  A nuisance, but normal.

I go back to my Patented Snake Oil suggestion.  Skip the Schofield cases and run 44-40 cases.  You already have a 44-40 rifle so you should have a few 44-40 cases laying around.  Give it a try.  OR:

Follow OD#3's lead.  Anneal 20 or so Schofield cases, load em up and see how it works.  After all, I'm finally throwing in the towel, biting the bullet, taking the medicine then hiding in the dark.  Yep ..... I'm gonna anneal some 44 Russian cases and see if I can cure some 44 Blow-By.

As another suggestion.  My 44 Henry Flat duplication load is done with Cowboy 45 Special cases.  Full case of 2F or 3F APP (give that 777 stuff the heave ho) with a 160Gr RNFP or 200GR RNFP bullet.  Contact "The Smith Shop" in RI for their custom Henry Carrier Block with cartridge stop.  Or save a few bucks (lots of Bucks) and drill your carrier block for a set screw cartridge stop and relieve the side of the bold for stop clearance and run the curious little cartridges.  Oh, did I mention, you can load 17 of them in a Henry.  Loads on Sunday and Shoots All Week!!

Coffinmaker

PS:  I Still suffer Blow-By with C45S cartridges.  A little squirt of water or PAM on the Carrier Block after 3 or 4 stages takes care of it.
Major 2
"Still running against the wind"
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2017, 06:47:08 am »

I have to agree, " APP "   ......JUST SAY NO to 777,   I don't care for Triple Seven or Pyrodex

I'm not being facetious, I believe APP is a better powder. I use Jim Shockey’s Gold a premium grade version of APP.
I see less fowling and what I do get is dispatched with 20 -1 water & Ballistol   ( 10 to 1 Moose milk cut 50% with water )
A spritz between stages on the unload table is more than adequate.   

APP needs no lube  you don't really need the Ballistol , but I like the idea of a bit of anti-oxidation.
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2017, 10:30:01 am »

Well .... POM has antioxidants.  POM wonderful antioxidants at that   Cool

Coffinmaker
Who's Perky today   Grin
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2017, 03:42:32 pm »

Moved to own thread...

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2017, 01:49:32 pm »

Well, I did it.  I am listing the .45 Henry on Gunbroker to sell it, so I can buy a 44-40 one.  I love the 44-40 1866 so much, I want the 1860 to be .44-40 also!.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2017, 05:41:07 pm »

Listed for $850 opening bid... should sell

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2017, 09:28:20 pm »

A pard here is offering his 44-40 Henry to me...Now I really need to sell my 45 one! Grin  I have 6 watchers on Gunbroker.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2017, 04:39:21 pm »

Unbelievable!  14 watchers, 1 1/2 days left, and an opening bid of $795 for a 6 month old Henry (with military model sling swivels), and no bids!  I want to buy that 44-40 Henry I was just offered, but I already have an 1866 rifle in 44-40, and don't need TWO Henry rifles...

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2017, 09:13:33 am »

Well, I have to have that 44-40 Henry.... dropped the 45 Henry to $795 buy it now.  It was used in an upcoming Cowboy Chronicle article, so like Hickock 45 does with the video guns he sells, I am offering a "Letter of Authenticity".  How come he can get more than he paid for them, and I am losing money? Huh Huh Huh

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
OD#3
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2017, 07:27:20 pm »

I feel your pain, really I do.  I thought the one I had on the classifieds here was a real bargain, but bargains are no good when the market is soft.  I finally just withdrew mine from sale, and I've discovered that the pain of not selling it wasn't any worse than the pain of having to take such a loss.  And at least I still get to enjoy owning a fine rifle instead of gambling on having seller's remorse down the road.  Which, given the number of times I've had such remorse, was more of a probability than a possibility, anyway. 
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2017, 08:42:57 pm »

Being a member of the "Multiple Henry" club ain't so bad.  I have four.  I like all four.  I don't wanna sell any of em.

I just got home from a 3 day match.  Shot the whole match with a 45 Henry with NO maintenance (well, I did have to load it).  My next match I'll be shooting Annealed cases for a valid compare.

Besides, as long as OD#3 has that Iron Annie, I know where to find one when I get something in my sock drawer besides dust bunnies  Grin

Coffinmaker
OD#3
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2017, 09:11:41 pm »

Coffinmaker, it is no longer for sale to anyone except you.  When your sock drawer turns green, give me a yell. And I'll just consider myself a conservator of this rifle until that blessed day.  Mind you, I can't guarantee a low round count by then.  You understand....
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2017, 09:36:02 pm »

Going to drop to $750 tonight, but that is the bottom....  Money goes out for the 44-40 tomorrow!

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2017, 12:24:30 pm »

Ahhh... Sold the 45 Henry!  Now I don't feel bad about having an 1866 and a 1860 Henry in 44-40.  To main match rifles is a good thing.  With two 45 pistols, and two 44-40 pistols, and two coach guns, it gives me two full sets. Three main match rifles is too many.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2017, 01:07:10 pm »

BLASPHMY  Shocked  BLASPHMY   Shocked I say!!!

There is no such thing as "Too Many" main match rifles (to my warped way of thinking).  I'm only maintaining 8 main match rifles.  Soon as I can save up the appropriate "box tops" I wanna make it .... 9  Grin

Coffinmaker
Major 2
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2017, 01:55:49 pm »

Weel...I had your membership card ready.... just needed authorization ... Lips Sealed

IMHOA ..... your number would have been in the single digits..... Tongue

Current card carrying.... " Multiple Henry Owners Association "  

#1 Coffin Maker ...with 4 Henry's

#2 Major     3 Henry's -  ( was four, but it was a Circa 1980 with no Parts support , besides it laid down it's life for a certain Russian )

#3  OD3      2 Henry's    ( Iron Frame NOT for sale )

#4  Wool     3 Henry's     ( British Subject ) now we's International

There's 3 aces & Brit for ya.... Grin

Sorry , you no longer cut the mustard or is that .... Cheese  Undecided  

OD#3
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2017, 02:14:26 pm »

Well, congratulations anyway, as I'm sure you didn't like being overextended like that.  I know that Henry was an aggravation, what with the barrel swap fiasco costing you so much unnecessary money and aggravation, and with you only getting an action job out of it in the end--an action job that some lucky soul on GB is going to get to enjoy now.  There were quite a few other fellas trying to sell 1860 Henry rifles on GB.  They hate you now.

I swear, I was going through some mental gymnastics to see if there was a way I could afford to "buy it now" on your rifle myself--even though I had only very recently abandoned the notion of selling my own.  $750 was just too tempting a price for me not to try to invent a method and a justification for coming up with the dough.   So I'm glad someone bought it, because it was really beginning to irritate me.
Major 2
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2017, 03:06:11 pm »

Well, congratulations anyway, as I'm sure you didn't like being overextended like that.  I know that Henry was an aggravation, what with the barrel swap fiasco costing you so much unnecessary money and aggravation, and with you only getting an action job out of it in the end--an action job that some lucky soul on GB is going to get to enjoy now.  There were quite a few other fellas trying to sell 1860 Henry rifles on GB.  They hate you now.

I swear, I was going through some mental gymnastics to see if there was a way I could afford to "buy it now" on your rifle myself--even though I had only very recently abandoned the notion of selling my own.  $750 was just too tempting a price for me not to try to invent a method and a justification for coming up with the dough.   So I'm glad someone bought it, because it was really beginning to irritate me.

Addicting .....  Huh !   Grin
OD#3
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2017, 09:08:43 pm »

Yes, addicting.  I just had another person PM me tonight and ask if mine was still possibly for sale.  And, despite my having already withdrawn it from sale, I was moved by his interest and actually said "yes".  In the end, we failed to strike a deal, and I found myself very much relieved.  I've been considering starting a thread just to inform everyone that my Uberti 1860 Iron Frame is NOT for sale. 
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2017, 10:39:36 pm »

AH, The check (cashier's type) is in the mail.  Our pard MT Marfield made me an awesome deal, so it takes the sting out of selling mine cheap.  I will be getting his 1860 Henry .44-40 Military Model, with trap door in stock and 4 piece cleaning rod, that he got from Dixie Gun Works.  Less than two boxes of smokeless cowboy loads through it.  The Moola is headed his way.  I figure, with my 10 day wait here, about two weeks I will be stylin' with my new Henry, Schofield, and Open Top! Grin Grin Grin Grin

Thanks, pard!

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
wool
Citizen

« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2017, 06:14:03 am »

Major2---may I, as a UK resident, be allowed a MHOA card? I have a 44/40 brass action rifle, a 44/40 brass action trapper and a 45 Colt colour case hardened action rifle, all Ubertis and love them all.
 Best regards.
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2017, 10:35:26 am »

Hey Wool!!

What's the barrel length on your 44-40 Henry Trapper??  My Trapper is a 16 inch barrel .45 Colt.

Coffinmaker
Major 2
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2017, 12:05:07 pm »

Wool that would make it..

the International Multiple Henry Owners Association

IMHOA       ...so sure why not  Smiley
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2017, 01:07:02 pm »

Hey Major,

Does having a .44-40 Henry and a .44-40 1866 qualify for  MHOS?  After all, the 1866 was marketed as "The Improved Henry Rifle!"  I plan on using the 1866 when I shoot my  two.44-40 SAAs (one a Cimarron Thunderer and one an early nickel EMF (ASM) Hartford. I plan on using the Henry when I shoot the Open Top and Schofield.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
Major 2
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2017, 03:39:31 pm »

Ha ... Improved ?

Members are mostly un-improved ....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  1860 Henry (Moderators: Flint, Major 2)  |  Topic: Gonna switch my .45 Colt Henry to 44-40! « previous next »
Jump to: