Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2017, 03:08:32 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  1860 Henry (Moderators: Flint, Major 2)  |  Topic: Taylor's & Co. Win 1866 "Musket" .44-40 on Special Order List... Mike and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Taylor's & Co. Win 1866 "Musket" .44-40 on Special Order List...  (Read 2412 times)
Baltimore Ed
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2017, 12:06:07 pm »

I took my musket somewhat apart today. All the recvr screws came out easily. Removed the sideplates and buttstock. I found one piece of brass inside the action but otherwise it was very clean. I polished up the lifter with oil and 400 grit paper, installed lifter and lever springs from the Smith Shop. Installed a light duty hammer spring but it wouldn't work due to it being narrower than a cutout milled into the lower tang. I went ahead and put several pieces of belt leather under it and it was good. Actually the original spring looked alot like it except for the cut out in the center of the light spring. The problem in the mag tube was that the follower was hanging up. Depending on how you pushed it in, upward or downward as it was depressed it would lock up. In attempting to loosen the screw on the end of the mag tube I rapped my screwdriver towards the receiver to break it loose a few times. I couldn't see where anything moved but now it works. The screw never came unscrewed, Louigi the Uberti gorilla strikes again. I'm guessing that the tube  wasn't seated all the way into the recvr and the back end of the follower was hanging up on it. I just fired 3 rds from the magazine with no issues. Here are some photos but the protective film is still on it. I lightly hit it with some Mothers after messing with it and now I can't get a decent pix. It's a shiny rifle for sure. I will try photos outside later.
What kind of sling would be appropriate for this 1866? Leather or cloth?
MT- update on the bayonet. I've managed to get the trapdoor bayonet to go on the musket by stretching and filing on the socket and bridge.  Now I need to tinker with the bayonet lock to get clearance for the front sight. It goes right on if the screw is removed from the lock.

* image.jpeg (185.07 KB, 768x1024 - viewed 48 times.)

* image.jpeg (99.3 KB, 768x1024 - viewed 31 times.)

"Give'em hell, Pike"
mtmarfield
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2017, 07:22:09 pm »

Greetings!

It looks very nice! My FFL has sent his info to Taylor's, and I'm in 'waiting mode',
which means that I should see it next week...!

M.T.Marfield
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2017, 11:06:06 pm »

Balto,
When I enlarge you photo (gets fuzzy) it would appear Uberti is using the same Sling Mount in the Butt Stock as they use for the 1960 Henry.  Were it mine, Leather would be the only sling material.  Were it mine, I'd start with a leather 1860 Henry Sling.  Your call.
mtmarfield
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2017, 06:43:38 pm »

Greetings, All!

Well, I picked up my 1866 Musket! Lovely, dark wood; hangs like a, well, Musket from my shoulder,
which is perfect for me! Along with it came a 'closeout' special: an 1871 Open-Top, 5-1/2" bbl., chambered
for the .44S&W Spl ( .44 S&W Russian ). The price was right, so I had to do it! A spare cylinder cut for
the .44WCF would be nice, but might be pushing it...
   Now all that I need is a slightly better eyeglass prescription! Photos to come!

MTMarfield

Baltimore Ed
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2017, 08:14:06 pm »

Glad to hear that you've gotten your musket too. I replaced those 3 springs and my new gate is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I've only shot 3 rds at a time so as not to break the original gate. The sights were right on with my load. In fact I could see them better than my friends 1866 musket. His is the older model Uberti. That was actually one of my major concerns, that the sights were going to be too small and be a problem. We're shooting Wild Bunch Saturday (1911,1897 and my Marlin) so I'll have to wait another month before I can try it in a match. It'll give me time to break it in.

"Give'em hell, Pike"
mtmarfield
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2017, 08:54:05 pm »

Greetings!

I don't currently have a shop to work in, so I'll likely have a proper qualified 'smith do the work.
I'd like to find one that is local, and I would be willing to drive south to Denver / environs, or north.
I might put a few rounds through it first, but I'd really like to find a CAS Gunsmith. This thing is
gorgeous, and I want to treat it right!

MTMarfield
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains

« Reply #31 on: Yesterday at 10:29:00 am »

Man, those 1866 muskets are almost as sexy as the 1860 Henry!

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  1860 Henry (Moderators: Flint, Major 2)  |  Topic: Taylor's & Co. Win 1866 "Musket" .44-40 on Special Order List... « previous next »
Jump to: