Author Topic: Taylor's & Co. Win 1866 "Musket" .44-40 on Special Order List...  (Read 20444 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Taylor's & Co. Win 1866 "Musket" .44-40 on Special Order List...
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2017, 11:56:15 AM »
Baltimore Ed ....

There are several ways to resolve this issue.  First method is to procure one of the new After-Market ladles from either VTI or TOW and install it.  Cross your fingers.  I have heard of Them lasting indefinitely.  Especially with large bore calibers (44-40 & 45)

Reinforcement may be a rectangle, a triangle, a piece of rod stock .. what have you.  The key here is flux and clean surfaces to solder to.  the same conditions apply should you opt for J. B. Weld.  I have a '66 with a gusset formed from JB weld that has ben in service for at least 7 years.  MUST have clean surfaces to glue to .. MUST mix the JB CORRECTLY.  Must hold one's tongue right in any case  ;D

Clean the back of the Ladle where you going to solder too or Glue too.  Right down to bare steel.  Then clean it again with alcohol.  I make a "dam" on either side of the tab with masking tape then fill with JB Weld then set it on an angle overnight to cure.  Don't touch it.  Don't even breathe on it.  Leave it alone overnight.  When you remove the cool little tape dam(s) you'll have a nifty little gusset.  Done right, it will last indefinitely.  The ladle is the only weakness in the 1866.  The only other problem you will encounter are the OEM Springs but you already know that.  Substitute some nice after-market springs.  Enjoy.  Brass rifles-r-FUN.

coffinmaker

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2017, 12:09:19 PM »
Coffinmaker, thanks for the instructions. I'll post photos of whatever I do. As soon as I can find out what the serial number is I wil order a 25.00 loading gate from track of the wolf. I'll still reinforce the original one.
Update--- another week and no musket. After waiting for 4-5 months and not even thinking about the rifle, now with it supposedly sitting in a warehouse in VA or on a ups truck somewhere I'm getting anxious.
Update 8-11-17--Still waiting, shipping delay. The 1st shipment is in VA awaiting unpacking and log in. The second and last shipment of this years 1866 run is due in next Tuesday. We'll see what happens next week. Stay tuned for further developments. Meanwhile back at the farm.......
Update 8-16-17-- Just talked to Keri in VA. Doesn't look like there were any muskets in either shipment. There was supposed to be one. So sad. Uberti won't be open again until September 1st. She's supposed to call me back later today to confirm. I'll just have to complete my Spanish Contract musket. Meanwhile back at the other farm.....
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2017, 09:21:09 AM »
At the other farm....Just got off the phone with the Taylors rep, Keri. Bad news. My musket is STILL IN ITALY. Either it wasn't completed to make either of these 2 recent shipments to VA or there was some problem with the order or Uberti hasn't even started the build yet. Take your pick. In all honesty, Keri was very apologetic and after September 1st when Uberti is back to work, will try to find out what happened to my musket. Stay tuned for further developments---same bat time--- same bat channel.
Update---9-12. Talked to Keri yesterday. Still no information from Uberti in Italy.
Update---10-16 Called Keri , still doesn't know anything.
Update---10-31 Happy Spooky Day! I got a call from my pawn shop. Keri HAS a musket in and is shipping tomorrow!! Should be here by Friday or Saturday. Can't wait.
Update---11-5 musket is at my FFL guys shop. Looks like I can't go get it until Tuesday. Dadgummit!!!! As soon as I pick it up I will post photos.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Advertising

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2017, 01:00:30 PM »
Guys, my 1866 musket has finally arrived and looks great. I put 5 rds through it and the sights are dead on. BUT, I had to load them one at a time. They would go into the lifter through the gate but I couldn't get any rds to go into the magazine!! I'm not going to tear it down now but will tinker with it tomorrow. I've got a set of Slick Springs with hardened screws to replace the factory stuff with and after I see what size screw is in the ladle I will order a upgraded gate from track of the wolf.  Photos tomorrow.
MT, as to our bayonets, not good news, the 1873 is too tight on the bbl and the front sight is too tall to go under the bridge of the trapdoor bayonet. We might be able to stretch the bridges. I would do that before I shortened the ft sight.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2017, 07:38:19 PM »
Looking forward to the pictures!! Also interested on what you discover on that problem.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2017, 11:06:07 AM »
I took my musket somewhat apart today. All the recvr screws came out easily. Removed the sideplates and buttstock. I found one piece of brass inside the action but otherwise it was very clean. I polished up the lifter with oil and 400 grit paper, installed lifter and lever springs from the Smith Shop. Installed a light duty hammer spring but it wouldn't work due to it being narrower than a cutout milled into the lower tang. I went ahead and put several pieces of belt leather under it and it was good. Actually the original spring looked alot like it except for the cut out in the center of the light spring. The problem in the mag tube was that the follower was hanging up. Depending on how you pushed it in, upward or downward as it was depressed it would lock up. In attempting to loosen the screw on the end of the mag tube I rapped my screwdriver towards the receiver to break it loose a few times. I couldn't see where anything moved but now it works. The screw never came unscrewed, Louigi the Uberti gorilla strikes again. I'm guessing that the tube  wasn't seated all the way into the recvr and the back end of the follower was hanging up on it. I just fired 3 rds from the magazine with no issues. Here are some photos but the protective film is still on it. I lightly hit it with some Mothers after messing with it and now I can't get a decent pix. It's a shiny rifle for sure. I will try photos outside later.
What kind of sling would be appropriate for this 1866? Leather or cloth?
MT- update on the bayonet. I've managed to get the trapdoor bayonet to go on the musket by stretching and filing on the socket and bridge.  Now I need to tinker with the bayonet lock to get clearance for the front sight. It goes right on if the screw is removed from the lock.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1636
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2017, 06:22:09 PM »
   Greetings!

It looks very nice! My FFL has sent his info to Taylor's, and I'm in 'waiting mode',
which means that I should see it next week...!

M.T.Marfield

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2017, 10:06:06 PM »

Balto,
When I enlarge you photo (gets fuzzy) it would appear Uberti is using the same Sling Mount in the Butt Stock as they use for the 1960 Henry.  Were it mine, Leather would be the only sling material.  Were it mine, I'd start with a leather 1860 Henry Sling.  Your call.

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2017, 05:43:38 PM »
   Greetings, All!

Well, I picked up my 1866 Musket! Lovely, dark wood; hangs like a, well, Musket from my shoulder,
which is perfect for me! Along with it came a 'closeout' special: an 1871 Open-Top, 5-1/2" bbl., chambered
for the .44S&W Spl ( .44 S&W Russian ). The price was right, so I had to do it! A spare cylinder cut for
the .44WCF would be nice, but might be pushing it...
   Now all that I need is a slightly better eyeglass prescription! Photos to come!

MTMarfield

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2017, 07:14:06 PM »
Glad to hear that you've gotten your musket too. I replaced those 3 springs and my new gate is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I've only shot 3 rds at a time so as not to break the original gate. The sights were right on with my load. In fact I could see them better than my friends 1866 musket. His is the older model Uberti. That was actually one of my major concerns, that the sights were going to be too small and be a problem. We're shooting Wild Bunch Saturday (1911,1912 and my Marlin) so I'll have to wait another month before I can try it in a match. It'll give me time to break it in.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2017, 07:54:05 PM »
   Greetings!

I don't currently have a shop to work in, so I'll likely have a proper qualified 'smith do the work.
I'd like to find one that is local, and I would be willing to drive south to Denver / environs, or north.
I might put a few rounds through it first, but I'd really like to find a CAS Gunsmith. This thing is
gorgeous, and I want to treat it right!

MTMarfield

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2017, 09:29:00 AM »
Man, those 1866 muskets are almost as sexy as the 1860 Henry!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2017, 11:09:14 AM »

I've often wondered .....  If one were to have sufficient disposable income ....... to wander around South American gun shops in search of a few of those last production 1866s Winchester made in Central Fire, strictly for export.  Could be kinda fun.  With current garbage import restrictions, re-import could be problematic (antiques??) but finding a shooter or two would be way cool.

Offline Yeso Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2017, 11:56:04 AM »
I saw a collection one time way back in the 1970s in Las Cruces, N.M.  I recall the guy had several hundred Winchesters and they had mostly all came out of Mexico and they were all restored.  I don't remember seeing any Henrys or 66s but I was too awed to ask.   

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2017, 12:52:35 PM »
I've often wondered .....  If one were to have sufficient disposable income ....... to wander around South American gun shops in search of a few of those last production 1866s Winchester made in Central Fire, strictly for export.  Could be kinda fun.  With current garbage import restrictions, re-import could be problematic (antiques??) but finding a shooter or two would be way cool.

At the last Shot Show a South American was talking to me (I honestly don't remember which country) and showing me pics of his guns on his phone.  His English was poor but he had a '66 and he said they were pretty common, and cost some ridiculously low price.  I'm guessing the paperwork must be horrific or something or else collectors would have scooped them up.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2017, 09:38:00 AM »
In the late 1980s and early 1990s, I was an FFL and did several gunshows a month.  At one southern California show (Del Mar, I think) I was offered an 1866 carbine in centerfire, with a box of ammo for $400!  It was before I started CAS, so I passed.  There was a SASS member named Charley Gullet who wrote a couple books.  I found him a rusted 1866 that he saved the receiver and lifter from, and built a centerfire 1866 out of it.  If I remember correctly, he used cut down 41 magnum brass and a heeled bullet.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2017, 07:34:32 PM »
  Greetings!

I don't currently have a shop to work in, so I'll likely have a proper qualified 'smith do the work.
I'd like to find one that is local, and I would be willing to drive south to Denver / environs, or north.
I might put a few rounds through it first, but I'd really like to find a CAS Gunsmith. This thing is
gorgeous, and I want to treat it right!

MTMarfield
That's what kitchen tables are also made for. Just wait till the 'boss' is out.
I swapped out the Uberti gate with a TOTW improved gate today. The only difference is the tab on the new one is a hair thicker. I will do a jb weld reinforce on it just to have a spare.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2017, 12:41:56 AM »
   Greetings!

OK...!

MTMarfield

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2017, 11:21:34 AM »
I shot 50 rds this morning out of my Uberti 66 musket. The sights are dead on with my handloads. I shot at a variety of big and small targets on my range with only a couple of misses but had 2 light hammer strike misfires which went off the second time they were hit. I guess I have to tinker with my mainspring some before I use this in a match. Loading was stiff but is loosening up. The action is a little sticky even with the aftermarket wire springs. Just a matter of breaking it in. I'll shoot 50 more tomorrow. Overcast skies so here's some photos.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2017, 01:31:21 PM »
That's excellent. Your sling looks great, too.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com