Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2017, 09:55:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Leather Shop (Moderators: Marshal Will Wingam, Ten Wolves Fiveshooter)  |  Topic: Best leather thickness for holsters is? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best leather thickness for holsters is?  (Read 1585 times)
sfc rick
Very Active Citizen

« on: May 28, 2017, 07:40:30 am »

I typically use thick saddle skirting 12 - 14oz for my holster's...but what is recommended thickness for wet molding one?
Capt Quirk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 09:23:46 am »

I think that around 8 oz works best for me, when wet molding. Depends a lot on how big and heavy the pistol is. A little Glock 28 doesn't need to be as heavy as a big 44. Also, are you lining the holster? I have lined with 2-3 oz, or used 5-6 oz, again depending on how heavy the pistol is. Keep in mind, properly assembled, two layers of 6 oz, can be stronger than a single layer of 12 oz.

Marshal Will Wingam
Garden Variety
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 10:05:12 am »

I like 8-9 oz leather for the most part. I generally don't line holsters, either. With a lining, two thinner layers work fine although I made a pair of them with 10oz leather doubled. Those were almost impossible to get wet molded properly but once I had it, they do hold their shape.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR
Capt Quirk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 10:18:09 am »

I like 8-9 oz leather for the most part. I generally don't line holsters, either. With a lining, two thinner layers work fine although I made a pair of them with 10oz leather doubled. Those were almost impossible to get wet molded properly but once I had it, they do hold their shape.
Yeah, that is where the thinner leather layers works better. I know it is more work and trouble, but I like to wet mold the layers separately, starting with the liner. Them add the outer layer and mold, then glue them. It USUALLY works out good. 20 oz of holster seems like overkill.

CraigC
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 01:46:04 pm »

Everyone will have their own preference 8-9oz.

12-14oz seems really heavy for a  holster though.

Graveyard Jack SASS #81,827
Marshal Will Wingam
Garden Variety
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 05:17:02 pm »

20 oz of holster seems like overkill.
It is but I just had to try it. I can drive over them with my truck and not flatten them. Grin

SCORRS     SASS     BHR
Cliff Fendley
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 06:10:56 pm »

Around 9 oz. I buy either 8-9 or 9-10 depending on my source.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers
greyhawk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 07:26:28 pm »

I typically use thick saddle skirting 12 - 14oz for my holster's...but what is recommended thickness for wet molding one?

I use 3 to 4 mm carving (dry bag) leather for wet molding
Capt Quirk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 08:16:46 pm »

A lot of things factor in, when I do my holsters. How big a pistol? What kind of holster? Is it to be tooled? Most of my holsters start with 6-8oz leather. That may seem kind of light, but think about it... how much strain is a holster really exposed to? Unless you have yard apes hanging from it, it doesn't need to be that heavy. All heavy leather does, is make it harder to sew by hand. I also like to line them with 2-5oz leather, normally 4-5oz. 6-8oz works great for wet molding, and getting details when boned, or vacuum formed. I'm not that fancy, I do it all by hand.

I'm getting ready to do a scoped Ruger SBH Chest rig. For something like that, I'll go with two layers of 6-8oz.

River City John
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Mr. & Mrs. John Covert

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 09:20:47 pm »

That may seem kind of light, but think about it... how much strain is a holster really exposed to? Unless you have yard apes hanging from it, it doesn't need to be that heavy.

What would you term a yard ape?

RCJ

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275
http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/River_City_John
Ten Wolves Fiveshooter
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Live To Fight Another Day

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 09:22:04 pm »

What Will said, 8 to 9 ounce works best for my needs

tEN wOLVES  Grin

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About
Capt Quirk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2017, 09:33:27 pm »

What would you term a yard ape?

RCJ
Also known in some parts as Crumb Snatchers or Curtain Climbers. Youngins. Offspring.

Buffalo Creek Law Dog
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 07:58:30 am »

Also known in some parts as Crumb Snatchers or Curtain Climbers. Youngins. Offspring.

Also known as....Rug Rats

SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
Capt Quirk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 09:01:15 am »

Also known as....Rug Rats
Yeah... that too Smiley

Johnny McCrae
Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

The older the violin, the finer the music

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 10:07:29 am »

When I make a lined Holster I use two ply of 4-5 ounce. For unlined Holsters I use 8-9 ounce.

You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself
Trailrider
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2017, 11:12:04 pm »

When I make a lined Holster I use two ply of 4-5 ounce. For unlined Holsters I use 8-9 ounce.
Ditto for Western-style holsters.  For my #96X series hunting rigs, I generally use 10-11 oz for unlined holsters or the equivalent thickness for lined holsters.  They will wet-form, but when dry will hold their shape and protect the gun against impact damage from tree trunks or the wearer falling on it! (Damage to the wearer in the even he/she falls on the holster with the pistol inside is NOT warranteed!  Tongue )

Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF
sfc rick
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 07:10:25 am »

I have found that using 12oz saddle skirting is very durable and wet forms into a hard shell and also tools into a deep 3D effect. I have been disappointed in the final results using thinner grades of material.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Leather Shop (Moderators: Marshal Will Wingam, Ten Wolves Fiveshooter)  |  Topic: Best leather thickness for holsters is? « previous next »
Jump to: