Author Topic: A safety reminder  (Read 5175 times)

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
A safety reminder
« on: May 22, 2017, 05:33:54 PM »
Always know your target and what is beyond it.
Never let your muzzle cover anything you don't want to put a hole in.
Always follow all of the safety rules
Safety rules apply to all guns regardless of their projectile.
If you don't follow all of the rules, be prepared by having your tetanus vaccination up to date.
Nails leave larger exit wounds than entry wounds just like bullets do!

Sorry I didn't think to get pictures before I pulled it out
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: A safety reminder
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 05:49:00 PM »
Speaking from recent experience?  Hmmm?
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 06:26:49 PM »
Maybe....

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:22:07 PM »

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 07:03:08 PM »
Hmmm.  I predict an entertaining story 'round the fire.  Do we need to run an air hose out to the pistol range?
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 07:14:18 PM »
That sounds familiar.  ::)

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 08:15:14 PM »
I just had to have a Tetanus booster a couple weeks ago.  Managed to run a big ol' rusty nail into my wrist while getting lumber that will eventually be a Cuban Blockhouse. This Quartermaster thing can be dangerous!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 09:20:28 PM »
Hmmm.  I predict an entertaining story 'round the fire.  Do we need to run an air hose out to the pistol range?

I have an air compressor and a generator that will run it... someone else will have to provide the "guns and ammo"

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 06:35:00 AM »
I'm just sure all of my suffering could have been ameliorated if only this country would just see fit to pass some common sense nail gun control! Oh, if only that assault nail gun had have only had 10 nails in it instead of having a high capacity magazine with over a hundred nails in it. Please disregard the fact that my injury had nothing to do with my assault nail gun's capacity and everything to do with my own stupidity. Assault nail guns only have one purpose and that is to spray as many nails into people in as short a period of time as possible. They should be out lawed and people should go back to using hammers. Never mind that more people are injured and killed each year with hammers and other blunt instruments than with all guns (including assault nail guns)You Must listen to me, after all I am a famous athlete (I know I'm not an actor nor a member of the main stream media but an athlete is the next best thing)

::) ::) ::)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 07:02:50 AM »
And now a reality check. ;)

Woops a double tap.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline S. Quentin Quale, Esq.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 07:40:14 AM »
Penn and Teller demonstrate nail gun safety:

SQQ

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 07:49:46 AM »
And now a reality check. ;)

Woops a double tap.

At least they thought to take a picture. I hadn't any more than just pulled the nail out and thought, Oh, $h!t I didn't even take a picture and I'm not even going to have a decent scar from this!  >:(

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 08:10:46 PM »
A contractor doing some work at our utility office shot himself in the shin bone with his nail gun.

I took him to the small town hospital and the Dr. refused to touch it as it was not "life threatening" and they were on a work to rule. They advised me to take him 75 miles to the next town to have it removed.

I pointed out the name of my utility company on my service truck, saying that it was not an ambulance service. No dice.

I got him there and he was slipping into shock. They gave him a blanket, a couple of aspirin and it was close to midnight befroe he got attention. I asked him what they did and he said they used a claw hammer, gave him a tetanus shot and out a dressing on it.

I could have pulled the nail and he could have gotten the tetanus shot from his family Dr.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 09:09:05 PM »
I'm just sure all of my suffering could have been ameliorated if only this country would just see fit to pass some common sense nail gun control! Oh, if only that assault nail gun had have only had 10 nails in it instead of having a high capacity magazine with over a hundred nails in it. Please disregard the fact that my injury had nothing to do with my assault nail gun's capacity and everything to do with my own stupidity. Assault nail guns only have one purpose and that is to spray as many nails into people in as short a period of time as possible. They should be out lawed and people should go back to using hammers. Never mind that more people are injured and killed each year with hammers and other blunt instruments than with all guns (including assault nail guns)You Must listen to me, after all I am a famous athlete (I know I'm not an actor nor a member of the main stream media but an athlete is the next best thing)

::) ::) ::)

Actually, I think it would not be best policy to go after the assault nail guns first. After all, those are used by professional carpenters, and they have a union. Better to start with going after the smaller, cheaper, nail guns-you know, the "Saturday afternoon specials" that do it yourself hobby carpenters use. Maybe you could even get the carpenter union to help ban them, after all, if you put the Do-it-yourself guys "out of business" that could only help the pro's bottom line. And don't worry about that pesky constitution, it really only applies to muskets errr .... hammers!

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 10:03:19 PM »
Respect is definitely in order.   Many years ago when I was carpentering a fellow worker came down the ladder with his finger on the trigger.  When he tripped it went off on his knee cap.  Not a pretty sight!

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 07:46:33 AM »
Actually, I think it would not be best policy to go after the assault nail guns first. After all, those are used by professional carpenters, and they have a union. Better to start with going after the smaller, cheaper, nail guns-you know, the "Saturday afternoon specials" that do it yourself hobby carpenters use. Maybe you could even get the carpenter union to help ban them, after all, if you put the Do-it-yourself guys "out of business" that could only help the pro's bottom line. And don't worry about that pesky constitution, it really only applies to muskets errr .... hammers!
You know, I'm sure you're right. My assault nail gun is surely a Saturday Afternoon Special too. It was Saturday Afternoon, after all, when I was assaulted by it.
I could have pulled the nail and he could have gotten the tetanus shot from his family Dr.
PJ and Sagebrush;
I'm definitely glad it wasn't a bigger nail and that I didn't hit bone. As it was I just grabbed ahold of it and pulled it out then drove myself to the family doctor and got the tetanus shot. Cathy was babysitting the grandson 3 hrs. away so I wasn't going to tell her about it until after I'd been to see the doctor. She happened to call though just as I was climbing into the pickup to go see the doctor. I was trying to keep the conversation upbeat and not let on that I'd dinged myself up again. Evidently I was "too happy" because she eventually asked, "Ok, What's going on?"
Sunday, after I got through working on the camper, I went to mop up the mud and the blood (No, no beer was involved) and I was surprised to find that there was even blood splatter on the opposite wall of the closet I was working on. I mentioned that the exit wound was bigger than the entry wound, but I was really surprised to realize that it had created blood splatter too.

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 11:33:50 AM »
Respect is definitely in order.   Many years ago when I was carpentering a fellow worker came down the ladder with his finger on the trigger.  When he tripped it went off on his knee cap.  Not a pretty sight!

Jerry forgot #4 but this guy clearly violated #3 "Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target (and you have made the decision to shoot)"

I guess we would have to say they both violated #2 Never point the gun at anything you are not willing to destroy, as well.
Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 12:04:59 PM »
Jerry forgot #4 but this guy clearly violated #3 "Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target (and you have made the decision to shoot)"

I guess we would have to say they both violated #2 Never point the gun at anything you are not willing to destroy, as well.
Guilty as charged  :-[

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2017, 02:00:58 PM »
Was Running a crew packing and crating many hundreds of tons of "stuff" to close an Air Base.  Had to build our own pallets and crates.  All the base units sent me "skilled" help (no skills - no help).  This one character kept wiring the nose safety on his nail gun back.  Just had to pull the trigger.  Someone yelled at him when he had the nail gun sitting on his boot.  Yep.  Nailed himself to the pallet.  I told him the only part that would hurt worse than when he put the nail in ..... was when I took the nail ..... out.  When I took the nail out, the clown fainted.

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com