Author Topic: RCBS "Cowboy" dies in .44 Russian  (Read 2548 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
RCBS "Cowboy" dies in .44 Russian
« on: May 19, 2017, 10:10:15 AM »
The crimp die of my RCBS .44 Russian "Cowboy" dies will not function in my Dillon press - it's too long. What a PITA!

Screwing it down to the max just starts the crimp. I guess the fix is to have some length turned off.

Just a heads up for other Dillon owners.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: RCBS "Cowboy" dies in .44 Russian
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 12:15:03 PM »
Maybe call RCBS and see if they can fix it for you (for free). They should be made aware of these issues.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 05:03:54 PM »
Hey PJ .........

Have you taken the die out of your Dillon, then threaded the die thru the tool head and then put the nut on the bottom side of the tool head??  If you've already tried that go back to plan A.

OOPS.  I just re-read your missive.  My solution was for a die that is too short to reach thru the tool head.  Or, depending on cost, I might suggest a Redding Profile Crimp die and go to a separate crimping step.  While I have had excellent results with RCBS Cowboy dies, I have come to prefer separate seating and crimping.  Just me.

Coffinmaker

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:12:12 AM »

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 06:37:11 PM »
I've shortened dies for different projects with a bench mounted belt/disc sander. Clamp a block on the table to keep it square to the belt or disc. Use fine grit and keep it cool.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Roscoe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 06:30:28 AM »
To get a crimp on 41 Special I followed the advice to use a Hornady die, unmodified. The other 41 Mags I had didn't get it. Since the critical advantage in a Cowboy set, only from RCBS, is having both a larger sizer and expander, use of a different seat/crimp die shouldn't matter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com