Author Topic: Sneaky antiquey  (Read 4920 times)

Offline Ben Beam

• SASS Affiliated Merchant (#105892)
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ben Beam & Co. -- Old West Ephemera
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sneaky antiquey
« on: May 14, 2017, 10:36:54 AM »
There's an antique shop near me that has a lot of great stuff, and I enjoy going in and poking around because I always seem to find something new. I'll often scout out items I'm interested in, then leave and do research and decide whether to go back and get it. Apparently this is pretty common, because I noticed something sneaky: The owners have cameras placed throughout the store, and apparently they watch people to see if they pay extra attention to an item. Then when the person leaves, they'll go raise the price on the item!

Here's an example: they have one of those extra large campfire coffee pots in the coveted graniteware gray finish. It's in very good condition (looks pretty much unused). When I first looked at it, they wanted $68. A bit steep, even around these parts. However yesterday I took another look, and the price had mysteriously risen to $75. I've seen this same thing happen with a number of items now.

Has anyone else run across this tactic?
Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!
http://www.BenBeam.com

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
Re: Sneaky antiquey
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 11:21:30 AM »
Sounds like this tactic might backfire, if it hasn't sold at the lower price why would it sell at a higher price? Even to an interested party. I would bide my time and let it sit there unsold for a few months and then make an offer. But watch out, I was at a flea market years ago looking at a vendors nice collection of hunting and shooting books. I made him a offer on 3 and he went nuts, he grabbed one of the books and ripped it down the spine saying that he hated it when people made him offers lower than the price he had marked and that he would rip up the others if I didn't buy them? Needless to say I walked away. It's a darn flea market, you are supposed to dicker over a price.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 12:40:12 PM »
There's an old adage in the antique business: "The time to buy an antique is when you see it."

Don't know how many times I agonized over an item I found and dawdled. Going back a day or two later to buy it and it's gotten away from me.
A veteran Oriental jade dealer once revealed that he liked to pull items out of a case to show people, but paid attention to their eyes. One of the tells our body unconsciously gives is the pupils dilate when you're looking at something you really like.

The trick is to go around a shop and handle a lot of things, not showing too much interest in anything.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:11:59 AM »

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 03:48:22 PM »
There's an old adage in the antique business: "The time to buy an antique is when you see it."

Don't know how many times I agonized over an item I found and dawdled. Going back a day or two later to buy it and it's gotten away from me.
A veteran Oriental jade dealer once revealed that he liked to pull items out of a case to show people, but paid attention to their eyes. One of the tells our body unconsciously gives is the pupils dilate when you're looking at something you really like.

The trick is to go around a shop and handle a lot of things, not showing too much interest in anything.

RCJ

So, you're basically saying that you need to be a good poker player to buy antiques.  ;D

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 04:15:27 PM »
There's an antique shop near me that has a lot of great stuff, and I enjoy going in and poking around because I always seem to find something new. I'll often scout out items I'm interested in, then leave and do research and decide whether to go back and get it. Apparently this is pretty common, because I noticed something sneaky: The owners have cameras placed throughout the store, and apparently they watch people to see if they pay extra attention to an item. Then when the person leaves, they'll go raise the price on the item!

Here's an example: they have one of those extra large campfire coffee pots in the coveted graniteware gray finish. It's in very good condition (looks pretty much unused). When I first looked at it, they wanted $68. A bit steep, even around these parts. However yesterday I took another look, and the price had mysteriously risen to $75. I've seen this same thing happen with a number of items now.

Has anyone else run across this tactic?

I always go to eBay to check prices. Assuming this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Gray-Graniteware-Enamelware-Coffee-Pot-With-Hinged-Lid-/262969328029?hash=item3d3a31819d:g:uO0AAOSwaEhZDSDI is like the one you saw, its sounds like a heck of a buy,

CHT

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 06:25:47 PM »
I also like to do research on some things, if I'm either unsure about  the item or the price. There have been many times I've thought about an item, only to find I waited too long and lost out. That's the way the cookie crumbles though. As far as dealers being sneaky, aside from trying to sell empty Jaegermeister bottles for $10, I have never had an issue. I'm in a really small area, and they know me, know I usually know what I'm looking at, and know what it's worth. They will also put things aside, if I really want it. They do this, because I've always been fair with them, paid what they asked- as long as it was in line with reality. Those that are way high, I try to haggle down. If they work with me, I buy a lot from them. They act like their stuff is worth a lot more, I just don't go back.

An amusing story for you- I went to an antiques and gift shop, they were having a big clearance sale. Everything was half off. Going through this big Victorian house turned shop, they had lots of flowery stuff, pillows... basically girly decorative garbage. BUT, outside was this nice cast iron bird bath. Not actually antique, but it was made in that Victorian style. I asked the lady how much she wanted for it. She stammered, and says it wasn't really for sale. I countered with the sign says everything goes, how much? She then says, well... I think I paid $40 for it. I counter with the sign also says everything is half off. Here's $20.

It is sitting out in the front garden :)

Offline Ben Beam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 07:14:11 PM »
I always go to eBay to check prices. Assuming this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Gray-Graniteware-Enamelware-Coffee-Pot-With-Hinged-Lid-/262969328029?hash=item3d3a31819d:g:uO0AAOSwaEhZDSDI is like the one you saw, its sounds like a heck of a buy,

CHT

More like this, and when you add in shipping cost it wasn't too far out of line: https://www.ebay.com/itm/292107698863

I live just outside Boulder, Colorado,which is one of the more expensive areas of the country (lots of tech here). Average home price is something on the order of $350,000, and when I say average I mean average. A nice house will be at least twice that. Prices on everything are stupid high. A decent burger is generally around $14. The average price of those ugly stoneware jugs at a flea market is about $25 (I was excited when I found one for $12, turns out it was used to store gasoline!). Still, there are good deals to be found, it just requires a lot of scouring and research. As you noted, eBay's sold listings are always a good starting point, but you have to remember to include shipping, and there's always the possibility the item may not hold up to scrutiny. All that being said, scouring antique shops is actually my favorite thing to do.

As for the pupil dilation theory, we've got legal pot here so that won't work for everyone! ;)
Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 07:36:07 PM »

As for the pupil dilation theory, we've got legal pot here so that won't work for everyone! ;)
Yeah... going antique shopping while stoned probably isn't the best idea. If they can tell you are under the influence, they will feel free to double the price, as long as they throw in a Twinkie. And you might just go for it! ROFL!

Offline Ben Beam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 09:07:43 PM »
Just to be clear, I don't imbibe. Not that I care one way or the other—people should be able to do whatever they want to their own bodies in their own homes—it just ain't for me.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 07:23:27 AM »
Just because you find a item at a flea market doesn't mean the price is negotiable... same with listing guns on sites like this.(they know who they are)  It is a flea market the price is already low.  Try negoiating at the grocery store.. i'd doubled the price. Or told you the item was no longer for sale. Flea marketing is a business.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 08:18:16 AM »
I went to a large gun show in 1978.  Within a few minutes I found a S&W 1st model Russian in about 98% condition.  I decided to look at the rest of the show first, but within a couple of minutes went back... in time to see someone else buy the gun.

I've been kicking myself over that one for nearly forty years.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 09:41:25 AM »
There's an antique shop near me that has a lot of great stuff, and I enjoy going in and poking around because I always seem to find something new.

Kind of a oxymoron , isn't it ?  ;D

when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com