Author Topic: Coiled mainspring for 1873- anybody else tried them?  (Read 1206 times)

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
Coiled mainspring for 1873- anybody else tried them?
« on: April 26, 2017, 01:00:09 PM »
This is a part of my 73 Spanish Contract carbine project. I know there are commercially made coiled units available. Pricy. I've got one on my 73 musket but I was playing around with something simpler, using a couple of very small bearings and came up with this idea. I've since modified it so that there are 3 springs, the small one pictured and two others. The other 2 fit around the smallest and together are the same length. The short ones are of different strengths. My thinking is that the weaker one will allow the hammer to start moving easier until the stronger one starts compressing, by then it's cocked. I also want to cut a slight radius on the two ears of the lower tang as my bearings seem to catch occasionally. The piece that the s/s wire goes through is a sling swivel with extra threads cut on it. Screwed right into the uberti lower tang assembly. I don't know how many times I've taken this apart to switch out springs but these work pretty good.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com