Author Topic: Seriously Important Question ??  (Read 6943 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Seriously Important Question ??
« on: April 20, 2017, 06:18:09 PM »
Avid Ballisticians.  Fellow makers of Smudge.  The royal Keepers of THE KNOWLEDGE.  I have a quest.  I present for your perusal ..... TWO identical handguns.  Same Frame.  Same Barrel.  Same barrel length.  Everything the same.  Everything.  Except, these guns are "convertibles".  They can be, and are shot with both Percussion and Suppository cylinders. 

The Quest??

When shot with percussion cylinders, These guns produce all the expected spooge.  They gum up the water table, gum up the breach end of the barrel, gum up the arbor and of course the hammer and hammer channel are spoog'd.  Situation ...... normal.  No problem .. to be expected.

When shot with the suppository cylinders, there is next to no spooge.  Very little on the breach end of the barrel, very little on the cylinder face, almost none on the arbor and none on the water table.  Clean up is just super simple.

WHY??

Coffinmaker

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Seriously Important Question ??
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 06:35:49 PM »
Likely because the load's encapsulated, just like a brass cartridge case, and the entire round is carried down the bore before fully disintegrating.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 06:41:16 PM »
I suspect it has something to do with a solid primer instead of a nipple that allows gasses to be expelled out the back of the cylinder; and the more complete burning of powder due to the crimped bullet requiring more energy to override the crimp vs amount of energy required by a swaged ball.

But;  I'm no ballistician nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:42:33 AM »

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 10:36:26 PM »
What Fingers said. Compression and CRIMP give a more complete burn of the powder. If you take equal amounts of powder and the same weight bullet and shoot them both, one in cartridge form and one in a cap and ball revolver you will get more velocity from the cartridge revolver and a cleaner burn of the powder.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 10:43:56 PM »
Also, the cylinder gap may be much smaller in the suppository cylinder and thus less fouling on the front.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 11:20:59 PM »
+1.  The brass cases seal better and burn the powder charge more efficiently than loose powder and ball.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 09:48:15 AM »
All of the above!

Isn't it a wonder that the conversion to "suppository" type arms was so quick and complete? Almost as fast as the common usage of fad powders once devised.

What puzzles me is why the Rollin White patent was allowed to choke off revolver developement for so long. AND; My dear Coffinmaker, I thought you knew everything, like my "personal manager"! ;)
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 11:57:14 AM »
Funny you should mention this. I finally had a chance (2 days ago) to shoot my pair of Uberti second Model Dragoons that I fitted with R&D cylinders. During cleanup at home I was struck by the much reduced fouling around the hammer and recoil shield area-- compared to the percussion cylinder use--even less than typical cartridge Single Actions. Of course the R&D cylinders completely enclose the cartridge at the back end so I suppose that was to be expected. The load was the EPP-UG 45 over 38grs of 2F Olde Enysford. The other observation was when I shoot that above same load as loose powder in the percussion cylinders, both guns shoot high(3-4in) and left(2in) at about 10 yds. The same combination enclosed in a 45 Colt case and both guns now shoot dead on at that distance with a 2in group.
 However a pair of Uberti 51 Navies with Kirst cylinders are balky at the cylinder/barrel area and the cylinder face must be wiped down after every couple stages. The Dragoons don't foul nearly as much in this same area.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 04:02:47 PM »
Sir Charles,

Strange as it may seem ........ I had already come to exactly the same conclusion as our ex-steam'd brethren when I originally started playing with Cap Guns and Suppository conversion cylinders.  A more complete burn is achieved with cartridges and nice firm crimp.  An interesting additional tidbit, in these same guns, the level of recoil from a Cowboy 45 Special case with 16Gr of 2f and a 130Gr bullet,  is actually heavier than the recoil of a percussion gun with 18Gr of 2f and a 150Gr Ball.  Encapsulation of the propellent, with a nice firm crimp to start the burn is key.

Ain't guns FUN!!!

Coffinmaker

In the HALL of the GUN my Brethren ..... Let us PLAY!!

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 06:18:33 PM »
This is why I shoot C45Spl with J/P 45-200 Big Lube bullets from my Pietta 1860 open tops with Kirst Konversion cylinders.  You've found me. . .

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 04:03:13 PM »
I have an R & D conversion cylinder in .45 Colt for my Walker and have never fired it...am I in for a treat?  Accuracy?  Clean up?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 09:18:36 PM »
Gabriel,
Absolutely your in for a treat.  Gonna maka BOOMBA.  Be just fine accurate and easy clean-up.  Gonna kick some too  ::)

Coffinmaker

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 11:37:54 PM »
 ??? I must be doin sumthin wrong, my Walkers don't kick with 45 colt cylinder or C&B.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 09:31:48 PM »
I just got a conversion cylinder for my ROA.  Looks like some good 'sperimentin' to look forward to.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 01:38:33 PM »
Blackpowder Burn .....
My shooting partner over in Ohio has a pair of ROA he shoots as "convertibles" with R&D cylinders.  Same reason I do with my colt pattern guns.  If the Goddess of Weather (fickle 'ol Broad) decides to turn the day mildly inclement and basically a hassle for Cap Guns, I just switch cylinders and Sally Fourth (Sally Who??).  Anyway ......

He gets the same results with his ROA.  Almost no cleanup beyond swabbing  out the chambers,  Swabbing the barrel and a wipe down.  Also a much more efficient burn.  Suppositories do have their place (don't go there!!)

May the Fourth be With You!!

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com