Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2017, 11:37:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1873 (Moderator: Major 2)  |  Topic: Just how important is case/bullet OAL in 1873 Stoeger Uberti? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Just how important is case/bullet OAL in 1873 Stoeger Uberti?  (Read 565 times)
Baltimore Ed
Top Active Citizen

« on: April 06, 2017, 09:34:38 am »

I mentioned this discovery in my .45 lc Spanish Contract carbine thread but am not getting any response so I thought that I would start a new thread. Having to cut down the magazine tube made my build into a 9 shooter which is no good for cas so I did some experimenting with LC and Schofield loads with different weight bullets in order to find a combination of 10 and found that 10 rds of  200 gr Schofield loads that are correctly seated at the crimp groove would function fine in my rifle!!  Looking down into the action, I can see the Schofield load in the lifter and the next load protruding into the lifter. When the lever is worked the lifter rises and cams the next rd back into the mag tube. I've always thought that the load in the lifter acted as a cartridge stop until the lifter was raised enough to be the stop. I was going to invest in a .45 acp/cowboy special lifter in order to get 10 rds but not now. Is the normal for Uberti carbines? The gun was supposed to be new but had a shiny muzzle which I took as maybe it was refaced for some reason and not reblued. As I knew it was going to become a sacrifice for a build  I wasn't concerned.

"Give'em hell, Pike"
Abilene
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 10:50:18 am »

Yep, that's the way they work, as long as the round on the carrier doesn't get too short.  Good explanation by Pettifogger here:
http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/togglelink.pdf

My 16" Cimarron '73 holds ten 45 Colts, but it is difficult to load the tube.  I switched to Schofields and it works fine.

As for the unblued muzzle, many new Ubertis come that way.

Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 11:21:41 am »

PLUS ONE to Abilene!!!!  You Betcha.

I don't really have anything earth-shaking to add.  No big Quantum discovery or development.  Nothing material to add.   Roll Eyes

It's just a grey Rainey day here in Pennsyltuckey and I are some bored.  Just thought I'd say HI!!  So ......... HI!!!!   Grin

So Happy It's Thursday!!   Cheesy

Coffinmaker.  Cool
Baltimore Ed
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 12:04:53 pm »

Mystery solved. A very informative article Mr Pettifogger. Thank you for the explanation. Baltimore Ed

"Give'em hell, Pike"
Cliff Fendley
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 12:09:23 pm »

In my experience I've found the longer OAL you can get by with cycle more smoothly since it doesn't have to push the rounds back into the tube. Of course the stiffness of the magazine spring effects that.

I actually like the unblued muzzle because it's more authentic. That is the way the original 73's are.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1873 (Moderator: Major 2)  |  Topic: Just how important is case/bullet OAL in 1873 Stoeger Uberti? « previous next »
Jump to: