Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 07:10:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1873 (Moderator: Major 2)  |  Topic: Front sight for my 73 Spanish contract carbine project 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Front sight for my 73 Spanish contract carbine project  (Read 1421 times)
Baltimore Ed
Top Active Citizen

« on: March 28, 2017, 09:52:40 am »

I've been looking all over for a non dovetailed carbine front sight for my Spanish carbine project with no luck. Anybody know where I can find one I would appreciate the information. Presently I have a replacement Krag sight that I could reshape the base and shorten or I could cut up the barrel band to rob the sight part from but it wouldn't be correct, no removable blade. The forarm is coming together slowly.  Had to use a piece of brass tube to slide the steel mag tube into as the 76 mag tube hole was way too big for the 73 tube. .45 lc is alot smaller than .45-60. Cutting down the 1876 full length carbine unfinished forarm has been a chore. For the longest time I could not figure out how to make the nosecap work. I finally decided to use the screw in endplug of the magazine to attach a piece of brass to it that will fit into the mortise of the 76 nosecap. There was not enough wood to work with after slimming it to fit inside the 73 bbl band. I had started out using the bbl band from my 76 RCMP carbine thinking that I could find another 76 band but no luck so I worked to get the 73 bbl band fitted. I almost had it fitted when I remembered that I had a Krag bbl band. A little bit of reshaping and the Krag band worked and it has a sling swivel. This raises another issue, after I removed the ugly red stain that uberti had put on the buttstock I found a really nice piece of wood. There is way too much figure to waste on this project as I will cut a sling swivel into it eventually and as a military arm it needs a piece of plain walnut to match the forearm. If I can ever figure out how to post photos I will. I've done it in the past from my iPad but now I can't seem to do it. Thanks

"Give'em hell, Pike"
dusty texian
Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Dusty Texian

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 08:26:05 pm »

Baltimore  Ed ,  Thats just my game ! you and I are doing a Winchester build at the same time. I have been following your progress. Thumbs -up Amigo ! On the carbine front sight , why not just cut and file one from keystock. I will send you measurements of a carbine front if you do not  have them. Would be easy to duplicate one. Great work I will continue to follow ! ,,DT
Baltimore Ed
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 10:10:48 am »

Guys, I finally figured ou how to attach to forarm to my carbine. As of now the mag tube floats in the forarm but I might glue it in. I built a block that is jb welded to the bbl which the mag tube/forarm butts up against. My thinking is that the bbl band will hold the forarm against the bbl and the block will keep anything from moving under recoil. The endcap is a tight friction fit on the mag  plug screw assembly but I think that I will tap the 2 holes in the cap. I will tighten the screws against the sides of the block, don't want to drill/tap any holes in the block. But I will also make 2 indentations for the screws to bite into. I'm going to give it another day to cure before I try to shoot it.

"Give'em hell, Pike"
Baltimore Ed
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 02:44:49 pm »

Guys, I just put 70 rds through my Spanish carbine with no problems. The jb weld joint looks good. I was experimenting with .45 lc-.45 Schofield and very short .450 webley (just one loaded first) loads trying to find out just how many rds of what would fit in the shortened mag. Of course only 9 of my lc would fit so I was playing with what combination of different length rds would = 10. Long story short. Turns out that I can get 10 Schofield rds with 200 gr bullets in my tube with an extra 3/4 inch of room and they WILL FUNCTION. The lifter on my uberti has a deep radiused cut on the front that pushes the next round back into the magazine, even though the case protrudes onto the lifter, as it raises the load thats in the lifter. My 160 gr S&W are too short and locked it up but the 200 gr S&W worked fine. I was very surprised when I discovered this. Is this normal for a uberti 73? I thought that the rd in the lifter is what held the next rd in the mag until the lifter was elevated enough to hold it in. I've always heard that the 73 was very case length sensitive but my rifle seems to digest loads from 1.385 to 1.6. This simplifies my build as I dont need to mess with .45 cowboy special loads and another modified lifter. The carbine was bought as new/used  in very good condition but with a shiny muzzle which I took to mean that maybe there had been some kind of damage and someone had refaced it. Anybody got any ideas on my .45 LC-.45 Schofield carbine?

"Give'em hell, Pike"
Baltimore Ed
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 04:49:11 pm »

Updates-- the jb weld failed I'm afraid, so I had to try my hand at soldering. Picked up a nice propane torch and some 430 degree solder and flux and did a bunch of reading. I played around with an old.22 bbl and finally got a good solder joint. I also built a spring loaded vice to hold my work together. My first attempt that I did yesterday failed so I cleaned up my parts and tried again. Things are cooling down so tomorrow I will try shooting it.

"Give'em hell, Pike"
Niederlander
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 04:52:07 pm »

You could use the 1873 Trapdoor Carbine sight base that S & S Firearms sells.

"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"
Baltimore Ed
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 04:54:33 pm »

Thanks Niederlander, I took a look at the s and s sight but it sure looks rough. I'll try to make one first and see how mine turns out. I just put 25 rds through my carbine to check my 200 gr Schofield loads, solder still holding, shot a 2 inch group, 4 inches high, I'm  using the carbine bbl band front sight until I can get one made and of course the carbine rear sight that came on the gun. I've still got some forend shaping to do, too proud where it butts the receiver and some kind of military finish. I don't know if I'm going to leave the carbine rear sight on it or do a more military sight like the 1873 trapdoor rear sight. I've seen photos of these carbines with both styles. I am also thinking about doing a faux cleaning rod. There's just not enough room to do a real one.

"Give'em hell, Pike"
Baltimore Ed
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 12:27:14 pm »

Finally able to post.

* image.jpeg (145.41 KB, 960x540 - viewed 52 times.)

"Give'em hell, Pike"
dusty texian
Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Dusty Texian

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 12:29:47 pm »

Looking Good Ed !
Baltimore Ed
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 01:10:03 pm »

Thanks Dusty, this is the tool that I put together to hold my forarm stud on the bbl when I soldered it and will use it on the front sight after I get the forarm done.

* image.jpeg (249.54 KB, 960x720 - viewed 54 times.)

"Give'em hell, Pike"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1873 (Moderator: Major 2)  |  Topic: Front sight for my 73 Spanish contract carbine project « previous next »
Jump to: