Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2017, 07:37:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1892 (Moderator: Isom)  |  Topic: '92 Pics,,,, show em' 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: '92 Pics,,,, show em'  (Read 3345 times)
Isom
Deputy Marshal
Active citizen

« on: March 01, 2017, 03:03:19 pm »

Dig out those pics of your 92's ,,,, foreign or domestic. It's all good.
Isom
Gabriel Law
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 04:36:23 pm »

I have but one, but I love it.  It's a well worn but very clean rifle from 1894, in 44 WCF.  The barrel is octagonal and 24".   Action:  Smooth as silk.

I deleted the photobucket images:  don't know how to add new pictures from my files...any help?
Mike
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 02:51:48 am »

Winchester 1892 take down in 38WCF made 1898. Rossi 44 WCF.

* 92s1.jpg (388.17 KB, 1565x634 - viewed 114 times.)

Buffalochip
Niederlander
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 09:13:04 am »

I have but one, but I love it.  It's a well worn but very clean rifle from 1894, in 44 WCF.  The barrel is octagonal and 24".   Action:  Smooth as silk.

That's my favorite!  Putting one together just like it.  I got mine as a very badly done conversion to .44 Special.  Will be back to .44 W.C.F. as soon as I can get a barrel.

"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"
treebeard
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 03:49:39 pm »

Dig out those pics of your 92's ,,,, foreign or domestic. It's all good.
Isom

Have a 24 inch round barrel that is one of my top two favorite 1892's. Similar too this but not quite as good exterior. It came to me with so much rust and debris that the action would not open. Performed total strip down and cleaning and it now works as designed . Bore was hopeless so I had Hoyt rebore from 38-40 to 44-40 and the accuracy is excellent. I would post picture but can get picture into additional option area but not post from there. By the way my round barrel was made in 1892. The guy I got it from said his grandfather had used it for wolf/ coyote control in west Kansas.
treebeard
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 12:17:43 pm »

Have photos on my iPad that I can get to appear in the attach options area of posting to this site but it will not actually appear in the post when I preview it. Also have not been successful with Photoshop as I can not get the URL to appear. Any suggestions?
King Medallion
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 02:36:44 pm »

My Rossi 92 Carbine, ringless, 44-40.
rbertalotto
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 12:06:51 pm »

Always wanted to try building a model 92 take down. Bought a stainless Rossi for a few $$ and had at it.

Replaced the round barrel with octagon....Just because I love the 8 sided barrels

Article I wrote for a magazine here:

http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/rossi-1892-winchester-take-down-conversion.html

More stuff here:
http://rvbprecision.com/shooting

Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544
King Medallion
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 02:11:44 pm »

My Rossi 92, 44-40. Saddle ringless carbine, pre-safety.
Johnny McCrae
Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

The older the violin, the finer the music

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 10:18:42 am »

I used to have an 1892 EMF Hartford Carbine in .44-40. I sold it to get an 1873 Winchester.

It had some of the nicest looking wood on the stock and forearm. I believe it was some type of a Brazilian hardwood. I stripped the factory finish off and re-oiled it.

Wish I'd never sold it as my Grandson now shoots with me.

* 1892.jpg (111.79 KB, 1500x360 - viewed 90 times.)

* emf3.jpg (97.09 KB, 660x322 - viewed 92 times.)

You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself
Four Eyes Henry
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 04:31:47 am »

This is mine in 45 Colt, bought new in 2009, shoot it almost exclusively with blackpowder and a 200 gr biglube..

* klein.jpg (357.2 KB, 640x360 - viewed 92 times.)

DWSA #102
SASS  #16042
BDS    #2197

He will come to your house carrying a sixpack of goodwill and joy. The Reverend Horton Heat

http://www.youtube.com/user/foureyeshenry1
Rooster Ron Wayne
Rooster
Very Active Citizen

Lube your Balls & Cap your Nipples ~ Just Sayin !

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 10:09:15 pm »

I just have to say PHOTOBUCKET can Kiss My @$$ .
Thats just BS with this crap they pulled .
Just sayin
Rooster

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."
greyhawk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 06:23:15 pm »

I hacked up a useable but neglected 25-20 SRC - converted to 38-40 rifle - 26inch "Sprinter" barrel, I got it chambered and profiled - did everything else myself .

* 38-40 finished.jpeg (122.34 KB, 800x480 - viewed 28 times.)
treebeard
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 11:11:38 pm »

Did you have any trouble with the small frame 1892 feeding and clambering the 38-40?
greyhawk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 01:23:17 am »

Did you have any trouble with the small frame 1892 feeding and clambering the 38-40?

Not trouble - but ya gotta alter every dang thing inside thats to do with feeding - and they are a sophisticated piece of machinery!
1)enlarge porthole for magazine tube and fit new follower, complete new magazine assembly - tube - spring - follower - end cap - forend nose cap - hanger - forward barrel band
2) hog out the frame in front of the loading gate to clear the bigger shell
3) alter the lifter - and refit it to the frame on the left side (there a couple little detents there on a 38/44 that are part of the left side cartridge guide on the smaller ones)
4) alter the cartridge guides to feed the bigger shell
5) I made a new magazine cutoff nose for the left side guide
6) alter the bolt face and ejector button
7) alter the extractor claw (I used one off an early model 94 that I had - it fit straight in!)
I had a functioning 44-40 to copy off - could not have done it without - and you need to be happy to strip and reassemble a 92 at least 60 times - maybe more - it was a job that makes no economic sense at all - but neither does blasting hundreds of rounds at steel plates every weekend - i enjoyed the trip and I like the result ...
King Medallion
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 10:40:52 am »

Small frame? There are more that 1 size frame for the winchester 92? I didn't know that.
greyhawk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2017, 05:02:02 pm »

Small frame? There are more that 1 size frame for the winchester 92? I didn't know that.

Nope - frame size is same - 44/40 was the first version - so the small (25/20, 32/20, 218 bee) cartridge versions later were an adaption of the original design - only difference in frame size is / was normal manufacturing tolerances and minor changes from batch to batch - my conversion gun is a full thread shorter fit at the barrel shank / shoulder than some others (44/40s) we have seen. 
treebeard
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 01:11:06 am »

The amount of work you did to get a small cartridge version upped to a 44-40 was awesome. I was not smart enough to go the route you went. I also wanted a 44-40 back when they had been soaked up for cas shooting as was their price.  I was lucky enough to make much easier conversions but think you must have gained a very detailed expertise from the route you took that I did not. I tip my hat to you!
greyhawk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 01:52:07 am »

The amount of work you did to get a small cartridge version upped to a 44-40 was awesome. I was not smart enough to go the route you went. I also wanted a 44-40 back when they had been soaked up for cas shooting as was their price.  I was lucky enough to make much easier conversions but think you must have gained a very detailed expertise from the route you took that I did not. I tip my hat to you!

I went 38/40 - I had a real good one many years ago - almost mint bore and internals - sold it before I knew any better (we do dumb stuff sometimes!) same work for a 38/40 or 44/40 conversion tho - I have a decent lathe and a mill drill - some tooling - I created something a little different from what we normally see - and I like what I did - very satisfying - I knew 92's pretty good before I started  (ha ! I thought I did) learnt a lot doin this .
So how did you do your easier conversions ? what did you do and to what ? I am interested in that . Maybe I took the long road home here .
King Medallion
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2017, 08:23:56 am »

Nope - frame size is same - 44/40 was the first version - so the small (25/20, 32/20, 218 bee) cartridge versions later were an adaption of the original design - only difference in frame size is / was normal manufacturing tolerances and minor changes from batch to batch - my conversion gun is a full thread shorter fit at the barrel shank / shoulder than some others (44/40s) we have seen. 

Ok Thats what I thought. I guess I interpreted something wrong. Thanks. I have an older presafety Rossi in 44-40 that has been trouble free for 20+ years. Pictured above somewhere.
treebeard
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2017, 03:32:26 pm »

I went 38/40 - I had a real good one many years ago - almost mint bore and internals - sold it before I knew any better (we do dumb stuff sometimes!) same work for a 38/40 or 44/40 conversion tho - I have a decent lathe and a mill drill - some tooling - I created something a little different from what we normally see - and I like what I did - very satisfying - I knew 92's pretty good before I started  (ha ! I thought I did) learnt a lot doin this .
So how did you do your easier conversions ? what did you do and to what ? I am interested in that . Maybe I took the long road home here .
Took A 1892 full rifle with a corroded 38-40 bore  but otherwise operable and removed the barrel. I found an online auction site that had a model Ď94 44-40 Carbine barrel that must have come off a commemorative of some kind and installed that. After that it was a matter of shortening the mag tube and fitting a new carbine forearm. I call it my Frakenchester I. Next one was a full rifle that was rough and at first the action would not open. Spent a lot of elbow work and got it cleaned up and operating but 38-40 bore was hopeless. This was before I discovered the wonderful world of 38-40ís so sent it off to Bobby Hoyt and rebored it to 44-40 and now it is very accurate in that caliber at about $100 cost. Eventually I had Hoyt reline the old barrel into 38-40 and gathered a bunch of parts and now have a fun 38-40 full length rifle. This one is my Frankenchester II. A collector might gag at these Ď92ís but they all shoot very well and are lotís of fun.
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2017, 04:05:32 pm »

Ha.

What a fun thread.  You guys are just TOO KOOL.  During my time hammering and filing on guns, I actually built and converted several 92s for discerning customers with very deep pockets.  Once one learns the the various trix for teardown and assembly, the '92 is actually a fairly simple and very reliable piece of machinery.  Some of them are rough as cobs, some are pretty darn smooth.  With just a little judicious rubbin-n-buffin, and a few after-market parts, the '92 can be exceptionally fast.  Once correctly "adjusted" they are super reliable.

I will be always sorry I sold my 92 some lustrum ago.  It was a very nice Navy Arms version.  Pre safety, needed a bunch of tuning to be a match rifle.  Wish I had kept it.  Been looking for another one ever since. (sigh)
greyhawk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2017, 06:30:11 pm »

Took A 1892 full rifle with a corroded 38-40 bore  but otherwise operable and removed the barrel. I found an online auction site that had a model Ď94 44-40 Carbine barrel that must have come off a commemorative of some kind and installed that. After that it was a matter of shortening the mag tube and fitting a new carbine forearm. I call it my Frakenchester I. Next one was a full rifle that was rough and at first the action would not open. Spent a lot of elbow work and got it cleaned up and operating but 38-40 bore was hopeless. This was before I discovered the wonderful world of 38-40ís so sent it off to Bobby Hoyt and rebored it to 44-40 and now it is very accurate in that caliber at about $100 cost. Eventually I had Hoyt reline the old barrel into 38-40 and gathered a bunch of parts and now have a fun 38-40 full length rifle. This one is my Frankenchester II. A collector might gag at these Ď92ís but they all shoot very well and are lotís of fun.
Hmm all good plans! I started out with a burned our 32/20 and a 25 barrel we "found" in a gunshop already threaded and chambered, dovetails cut too (worse luck!) I had to take a bit over half a thread off to get headspace but the dovetails all outta whack so took a full thread off it and then filed the barrel face back to fit, which shortened the chamber just a whisker too much - this almost 40 years ago - still remember sitting on the loungeroom floor with that stripped out 92 with a brass rod down the barrel and a wooden dowel rod and hammer - 200 unprimed cases - feed one in, tap him home with the wood dowel, tip the muzzle up and eject him with the brass rod - all they needed was a little crease in the shoulder, but it was just too much for the action - no I didnt have a full length size die! stuff like that had to come from America on a boat - took forever and cost an arm and a leg. Once I got the brass fire formed was all ok - we reloaded with an old lyman tong tool. (the combination one with the bullet mold as well)  Thats the gun I just did my conversion on so there is some history there!
The other I did was a 44/40 parts gun, we found a 92 action and the critical parts under a gunsmiths bench about the same time - dug around in the junk there and came up with an old 44 barel from a 1873 with a ring bulge near the muzzle - had been a heavy half octagon (have not seen another one like this its .920 at the chamber end) I cut the round back to half of the octagon length and made a shorty - it would shoot copper jackets and it was my hog gun for a long time - heavy loads and hollow point 44 mag bullets - I didnt figure this out - knew then what I know now that old barrel woulda done - I had that one rebarrelled several years back and only recently slugged the bore of the old barl - 433!! it wouldnt shoot lead for me in a fit but it did well with those 44mag boolits - similar deal with the 38/40 barrel really, we took it out of my sons '73 to rebarrel it and it looked to good to throw - so AFTER I ordered a new one for my latest conversion I went to work on the old one and I got it shooting quite good. Not sorry about the new one but learned some things along the way - those old 73 barrels in 38/40 slow twist - VERY sensitive to projectile length/velocity - somethinhg I knew but you gotta keep reminding yourself !
Anyway heres a pic of the pair - 44/40 shorty and 38/40 long rifle converted from 25/20 - I made the stocks and forend on both guns and magazine tubes etc - magazine retainer on both is via a tapered collar that is silver soldered to the tube and fits up tight inside the forend cap - thats how come no front band on the shorty.             

* pair of 92's.jpeg (123.07 KB, 800x480 - viewed 18 times.)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1892 (Moderator: Isom)  |  Topic: '92 Pics,,,, show em' « previous next »
Jump to: