Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2017, 03:11:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1892 (Moderator: Isom)  |  Topic: Why the 1892? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why the 1892?  (Read 4134 times)
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2017, 11:30:44 am »

Recently, I was at a match and asked a shooter if his rather modern rig "would pass the John Wayne Test?"  He asked me what was that!  He had no clue.  Same guy asked me why I shot an unmodified Uberti 1860 Henry when it is so darn slow.  I told him that I don't care about speed and scores.  I just shoot to have fun and honor the Old west and the men that forged it.  He looked at me like I had a third eye or Unicorn horn in the middle of my forehead!

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators
Slamfire
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2017, 12:01:15 pm »

I'm with ya',,,i have a older model,,ROSSI,,44/40,,stock,,just polished centain areas,( the loading gate ,,sharp!!),shoot's to POA,,CAS loads for now,,going to load ,,up to 7.5gr,ww231,,for rifle,,have 2, 1875 outlaw's,,44/40,,,,work's for me!!!! " Just be true to your self ".

"SMOKE"M if'a GOTUM.,,,,HOOTMIX.
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2017, 02:40:21 pm »

PJ,
AH, JW wouldn't care.  He was an actor.  He used whatever gun the prop department handed him.  Only a few of his "movie" guns were his personal guns.

Tuolumne,
Unmodified Henry??  If I might be so bold, you would do well to change out your lever side springs and the Main Spring before extensive use.  The OEM springs will cause undue wear on the bearing parts.  Changing the Main Spring will also result in a much more user friendly rifle.

May the Fourth be with You

Coffinmaker
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2017, 06:17:04 pm »

CM. Yep stock. I don't shoot enough to worry about it Roll Eyes. I'll be dead before it wears out. LOL

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators
PJ Hardtack
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2017, 08:02:55 pm »

Of course, but you missed the point.

Wayne shot movie blanks, but his guns were likely stock. I don't think he would have thought much of powder puff .38s and a two hand hold on pistols (read IPSC in Cowboy boots minus the power factor).

PJ,
AH, JW wouldn't care.  He was an actor.  He used whatever gun the prop department handed him.  Only a few of his "movie" guns were his personal guns.

Coffinmaker

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne
Tuolumne Lawman
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2017, 08:26:28 pm »

Funny, the closer it gets to getting the 92 in 44WCF, the more excited I get about shooting it in matches!  I have about 275 rounds of brass, powder, a LEE 4 die set with factory crimp die (an absolute necessity with 44-40), Trail Boss, and primers.  I also have a 5-pack of the Cheyenne Pioneer cartridge box 44 WCF boxes.  All I need to do is stop at the LGS and pick up a 500 box of Bear Creek 200 grain lead RNFP .428s.

I have a feeling my Henry will sit out more than a few matches! Grin

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
Gabriel Law
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2017, 05:09:49 pm »

Coffinmaker:  can you suggest a source for the springs of which you speak?  I have Uberti Henry - love it - but I'll change the springs if it will make the rifle better.

GL
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2017, 05:27:10 pm »

Gabriel,

There exist two sources of really nice Lever Side Springs.  I personally like SlixSprings.  They do require careful fitting.  Also "Whisper Springs" a product of "The Smith Shop."  They are both intended to be used in a rifle with some action work.  If the rifle is chambered in 45 Colt, I strongly suggest modifying the Carrier Block Arm for Positive Slam Down.  Bottleneck cases run clean enough a grungy carrier block is seldom a problem.

Main Springs are available from "The Smith Shop" and "Slick Magic."  

Just changing these three springs will result in a marked improvement in serviceability.  OEM lever side springs cause an awful lot of unnecessary wear on the Lever Cam and the Carrier Block Arm.  Your rifle will love you.

Coffinmaker

PS:  With a lighter Main Spring, I also suggest reducing the Firing Pin Return Spring.
Gabriel Law
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2017, 05:47:02 pm »

Thanks Coffinmaker:  I'll GOOGLE them and see if they can send to Canada.  I appreciate your help.  It's hard to imagine liking my Henry more than I already do, but I'm willing to take the chance.

My original '92 Winchester is also in 44 WCF and it is so sweet to shoot.  There's no new left on the old girl, but she sure runs smooth.
Gabriel Law
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2017, 09:24:03 pm »

Well, I called the Smith Shop, talked to a nice fellow there who took my order of whisper springs, mainspring, and pin return spring.He said to send him the money when I get the parts and am happy with them.  Hard to fathom in this day and age.
So thanks guys, for the great advice.
Gabriel Law
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2017, 05:05:05 pm »

Spring kit arrived this morning from The Smith Shop...installed new whisper springs, mainspring and firing pin return spring.  The mainspring is so soft that I wondered if it would set off a primer, but surprise, surprise!  The action of my Henry is very soft and smooth now.  Thanks again for the great advice.
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2017, 05:15:45 pm »

TA DA.  Grin

Coffinmaker   Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1892 (Moderator: Isom)  |  Topic: Why the 1892? « previous next »
Jump to: