Author Topic: New Colt SAA clone manufacturer  (Read 32512 times)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
New Colt SAA clone manufacturer
« on: January 22, 2017, 12:03:07 PM »
The Standard Manufacturing company is coming out with a new Colt SAA clone. Made in America, list price $1,499 - 1,699. Here's a link to a youtube video. Gun starts at about :40 and runs till about 3:15.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: New Colt SAA clone manufacturer
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 03:42:44 PM »
Hey LP,

Please don't take this as a personal slam aimed at you.  It Ain't.  I'd just like to share, if I had the opportunity, I'd allow as to have the brainless clod who coined the term "Clone" hold up my Shotgun Patterning Target.  I personally hate the term "clone."  Were they real "Clones," they would be perfect copies of a declared iteration of Colt.  They are reproductions of Colt.  Most are a mix of all three generations of Colt.  Did I mention I hate the term "Clone??"  If I didn't, I meant to.  Really.

I actually have as much dislike for the phrase "Period Correct."  I'd like to shred that dude (or dudette) too....  The only period correct I have any affinity for is the period at the end of a sentence.

What does this have to do with the Topic brought to the fore by the OP you might ask.  OK, got ahead ...... ASK!!  Well, actually nothing.  I just like to take the opportunity once in a while to whine about the over abused term "Clone."  There.  I'm done for today.  Now .......

It will be interesting to see if the Standard Manufacturing SA actually makes it to market and at "target" price.  However, if Standard brings an SA to market, at the price point suggested, good luck chuck.  Pietta and Uberti are going to eat their collective lunch.  Asking a retail price actually higher than the MSRP for a Colt (unobtainium) while having an unproven track record is im my estimation, a straight road to ruin.  Standard is also going to offer yet another copy of the venerable 1911.  Albeit, available in full CCH.  I thought the example presented was stop traffic butimous.  But will it sell????  And ....... Does it work??

Coffinmaker 

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 04:08:54 PM »
I was gonna say.... :-\  we'll see....

Coffin Maker "... It will be interesting to see if the Standard Manufacturing SA actually makes it to market and at "target" price.  However, if Standard brings an SA to market, at the price point suggested, good luck chuck.  Pietta and Uberti are going to eat their collective lunch.  Asking a retail price actually higher than the MSRP for a Colt (unobtainium) while having an unproven track record is im my estimation, a straight road to ruin."

STI International  gave it a go a few years ago , just got past several prototypes/early examples ...and YANK !

"a straight road to ruin ?"    :-\ maybe , maybe not, but it's money pit that remains to be seen.
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:24:59 PM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 04:16:56 PM »
...STI International  gave it a go a few years ago , just got past several prototypes/early examples ...and YANK !

True, but wasn't USFA still in production back then?  There's a limited market of folks willing to spend the big bucks for a quality gun made in USA if it isn't a Colt.  It will be interesting to see some in-depth reviews of this one to see how well made and how accurate the details are.  Looks good in the video.

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 05:36:56 PM »
Was that firing pin cut?

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 06:12:30 PM »
Was that firing pin cut?

Looked a little like that to me, although I didn't try to pause the vid.  If they were going to show that gun in the show, the firing pin would need to be removed, and cutting it like that is another option.  Could be they wanted it to be obvious when shown that it does have a hammer-mounted pin and not a transfer bar.

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 01:49:30 AM »
Looked a little like that to me, although I didn't try to pause the vid.  If they were going to show that gun in the show, the firing pin would need to be removed, and cutting it like that is another option.  Could be they wanted it to be obvious when shown that it does have a hammer-mounted pin and not a transfer bar.

I sure hope you're right.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 06:21:12 AM »
True, but wasn't USFA still in production back then?  There's a limited market of folks willing to spend the big bucks for a quality gun made in USA if it isn't a Colt.  It will be interesting to see some in-depth reviews of this one to see how well made and how accurate the details are.  Looks good in the video.

It was, but with what turned out to be nails in it,s coffin present ...

point is @ $1,499 - 1,699 , I'd be looking at a Colt. 

I'm very happy to see new interest in investing and manufacturing guns of the ERA we enjoy. 
HRA, Winchester/Miruku, now perhaps Standard, very happy indeed.
 I hope they can produce enough with the quality, to gain the respect , following, sales, and numbers they need to stay the course.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 09:57:00 AM »
Nice looking gun.  But at that price point it is apt to wind up just like STI.  Some prototypes will circulate and get reviewed but it will not be economically viable.  If it goes into production will I buy one?  No, I would buy a new or used Colt.  When it comes time to sell it how many people associate a SAA with the word Standard?  I hope it is a success but there is only a tiny market for a high end single action.  And yes the firing pin in the video has clearly been cut off.  As noted by Abilene the firing pins have to be removed from guns shown at the Shot Show.  I bought a gun at the end of the Shot Show one year and the manufacturer had to mail me a new firing pin.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 01:58:51 PM »
 Pettifogger wrote:

..." If it goes into production will I buy one?  No, I would buy a new or used Colt. "

exactamundo 

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 02:31:07 PM »
Yee Gadds.

I'm even worse than Pettifogger.  NO.  I wouldn't rush out and buy one.  I'd go get two nice new STAINLESS Pietta's.  And a Partridge inna Pear Tree .. Tee Hee.

There is only one other Caveat:  Will it have a nice new Coil Main Spring and Coil and Plunger hand spring??  If not .... why bother.

Coffinmaker

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 08:56:38 PM »
Coffinmaker, no offense taken about the word "clone". I am keeping an open mind about these Standard's. If they are really well made and available for immediate shipping I would consider buying one.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 10:37:59 PM »
When you could buy a Colt?

Something with an actual history and desireability in the collecting world?

Might as well buy a USFA with Italian parts.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 01:24:51 PM »
Whoah there St George!!

Where you gonna find a New Colt??

What actual "History" ??  A new colt has no "History" and is just another pretty face.  Desirability in the collecting world requires provenance of some form of Historical nature.  None of us are going to live long enough for a "new" colt to have "collectability."  An inflated price tag based on a name .. yes.  True collectability??  Meh.

ABSOLUTELY.  Couldn't agree more.  Or TWO nice stainless Pietta's for double your trouble and double your fun.

Coffinmaker 

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 10:08:17 AM »
Here is a link to a post on the Colt forum that alleges a connection to USFA:

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/single-action-army/187553-new-clone-replica-looks-interesting-3.html

"Well I had been hesitant to mention these but here goes. Saw these at Shot and then two weeks ago at SCI. CMSC acquired most of the USFA machinery when Doug shut down. They were probably 10 miles apart (with Colt halfway between). CSMC set up Standard for their gun projects outside of their M21, Fox, RBL, A10 etc. they are now making ARs (with expertise from the turmoil at Stag Arms (same town), m1911s, and SAAs (which are quite nice in person) made on the old USFA machinery and to their old specs. Doug did some setup consulting for Tony to get them started but they soon parted ways. The SAAs seemed quite nice. I did not shoot them but closely inspected 4 or 5. The ARs and 1911s seemed rather pedestrian but I think that is their target market. I did tell them that although the SAA guns looked very, very nice, they were priced $2-300 to high. I do know the Colt guys were very curious about this development."

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 11:44:33 AM »
Well Now ........  8)   Perhaps the Thick Plottens ......  Just may come to pass, we know where USFA's machine tools went.  Interestinger and Interestinger.  Ummmmmmmm.   ::)

Let us suppose there is a modicum of facts in this tidbit.  Let us suppose, this "new kid" on the block utilizes USFA machinery to bring another reproduction to the market.  Let us also suppose the "new folks" maintain the predecessor's attention to detail and quality.  We could well have a real nice, well made SA back in the market place.  Stranger things have happened.   :o 

We can all agree (I think) the USFA was an extremely well made piece of kit.  I wouldn't be opposed to seeing the gun come back from Dough Dough land.  Going to be a rough road to hoe though.  They will still be re-entering a limited market place, at a high price with no established history.  If they (the new guys) don't get it right the first time, I doubt there would be a second chance.   :P

Coffinmaker

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 06:05:48 PM »
Again, I agree, for them to make a dent in the high end SAA domestic market, they need to be cheaper than Colt, otherwise, they will not survive.  STI made a prototype SAA, but realized they could not make it at a price to compete and subsequently they abandoned the project.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 09:38:07 PM »
It is now up on their website, here's the link. Priced at $1,399, available in .45colt only and 4 3/4", 5 1/2" and 7 1/2" barrel length.

http://www.stdgun.com/saa-revolver/

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 09:06:44 PM »
I wish them luck, but it is going to be hard for them to compete on both ends of the market.

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 06:26:56 PM »
It is now up on their website, here's the link. Priced at $1,399, available in .45colt only and 4 3/4", 5 1/2" and 7 1/2" barrel length.

http://www.stdgun.com/saa-revolver/

Is that barrel not tapered?  ???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com