Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2018, 11:30:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Colt SAA Clones (Moderators: RRio, Gen Lew Wallace, Hoof Hearted)  |  Topic: New Colt SAA clone manufacturer 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Colt SAA clone manufacturer  (Read 12727 times)
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2017, 11:21:52 am »

Major 2,

At best, I've heard some rustling in the bushes and some faint movement of the under-growth.  I have not seen any live examples of the critter.  It's rumored Big Foot may have one on test.  It remains as illusive as the fabled Unicorn.

And at a market exchange ratio of 3 for one (Three GW II for ONE of those) I think smart money is on the Pietta.  The rumored "Standard" offering is on "maybe" offer for stupid money.

Coffinmaker
LonesomePigeon
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2017, 08:43:31 pm »

They said at SHOT Show they hope to have them available by November of 2017 so they aren't behind schedule yet. The gun that is on their website now is different than the one that was up a couple months ago. It seems to have a 3 digit serial number too.
satchmo
Citizen

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2018, 06:49:28 pm »

I rec’d an email today from Standard Manufacturing announcing that their SAA reproductions are now available for immediate shipment.

Checked their website and it says the same thing.

Anybody seen one yet?

Has anyone posted or published a review?

$1895.00 + $40 shipping.
Major 2
"Still running against the wind"
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2018, 06:59:05 pm »

Welp...you could be the first on your block...board , State ?   Wink

when planets align...do the deal !
satchmo
Citizen

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2018, 08:15:06 pm »

Found a review from Guns and Ammo dated June, 2018.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/handguns/review-standard-manufacturing-sa-revolver-engraved/

It contains a couple of discrepancies when compared to the Standard Mfg current website and today’s email announcement.

First one is the price.  G&A lists the engraved version at $2000 and the standard version at $1595, vs current lis price of $2450 for the engraved version and $1895 not engraved.

The other discrepancy that I saw is one of the photos clearly shows a modern type (concave) firing pin vs the website and announcement which states that the firing pin is cone type.  I hope this is the case.
LonesomePigeon
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2018, 11:25:22 pm »

I saved pictures of the gun Standard had on their website prior to today's announcement. The gun that was on their site before is different than the one on there now. Besides the cone firing pin it looks like they have changed the front site, the new front site has a better profile in my opinion.
Galloway
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2018, 01:02:30 pm »

Good for them! Thats farther than most of these rumors make it. If they can land a contract with lipseys or bass pro id say we have something.
Professor Marvel
purveyor of useless items to the gentry
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2018, 03:03:58 pm »

Ah My Dear Netizens -

another vendor has (finally) entered the fray with more than announcements,  smoke, mirrors, cgi photoshopped images, and one or two prototypes.

plusses:
 - Welllllll, at least they finally came out with it.
- it showed up not too far off from the announced timeframe
- the pictures look verrrrry pretty
-  gunrag reviews are beyond glowing (what else?)
- photos on THEIR webpage show screwslots all aligned- aka "timed" or "clocked" screws  ( love to see that happen in production)

minusses:
- photos on THEIR webpage seem show poor grip-to-metal fit
- price increases from ~ $1500 (announced) to $1900 plus shipping, plus, plus plus....,
- none are even in the wild yet, nobody has seen any on the shelves anywhere
- they do not appear to be "for sale" , they appear to be "taking orders"
         Call me grumpy, but When they show up on Bud's or the LGS, then I'll believe it.

--- "As a special introductory and limited time offer, we are providing a lifetime warranty on these Single Action Revolvers"

oh, that smacks of Marketeer BS and Ronco Talk!
 "Step Right Up, buy it now and we'll throw in absolutely free- for a limited time"
 either you provide a decent warranty , now and forever, or you don't.

last, I was just at the LGS and was drooling over the cavalry length laser engraved Italians for less than $700 out the door....
that buys me TWO pistolas and still have over $500 to spend on , oh I don't know,  food?
or one pistol and replace the furnace?

(Or I can skip the engraving and have any caliber and barrel length , cased & blued for under $400 each .... just saying...)

Oddly, I really don't feel deprived "just because" I'm shooting my Italian CapGuns or 1873's .

yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of
Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic
Major 2
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2018, 06:49:31 pm »

Nail squarely hit on the head , Professor ....

I'm of the opinion " 'Fool me once, shame on you, (the Fletcher Bidwell Spencer  & the great Merwin Hurbert scam )

fool me twice, shame on me'

Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2018, 10:15:52 pm »

I really don't want to get into a really long wordy dissertation (yes I do) as the Perfesser and Majr 2 have already said everything I could and the Perfesser were much more eloquent that I (for the most part).  I do however, have a couple of CAVEAT(s).

There is no indication of improvement to Coil Spring and Plunger for the hand.

The conical firing pin is of no benefit over a concave taper firing pin.

There is no indication of improvement with a Hard Bushing in the recoil shield.

There is no indication of an improvement in the Main Spring (Coil ??)

They (Mfgr) claim precision.  OK, Show Me.

It would appear the new kids on the block have actually found a more expensive way to make an SA than Donnally did.  Amazing.

No way they are going to amortize their stat up costs.  Underwhelmed am I.  Also opinionated !!

Oh, almost forgot.  If your inclined to write a check for one of these, I suggest you write the check to ME.  That way one of us will be happy   Roll Eyes
Major 2
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2018, 10:49:14 pm »

I'll split it with you.... then 2 out of three are happy ...and 2 out 3 ain't bad !

Cliff Fendley
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2018, 02:19:52 pm »

Still looking at three times what I just paid for the last Cimarron that has the Bone and Charcoal CC, upgraded wood grips, my custom serial number.

Sure someone can say they have things like hardened bushing in the frame, the barrel and cylinder may or may not be better quality of steel but the point I would make is I have some of the Cimarron/Ubertis with many thousands of rounds through them and these things or lack of are not a problem so I'll never wear out three to make up the price of these supposedly superior revolvers.

What I can't understand is with todays CNC technology making the parts and even considering a quality difference in steel and some special hand fitting why these US manufactures think they can justify charging those prices.

I am a knifemaker and buy some of the highest end most expensive USA made blade steels available and based on weight the entire amount of the best quality carbon steel required to make a SAA is less than 100 bucks.

I know some do but I don't and never will consider USFA, recent production Colt, or any other modern manufactured SAA to be collectable for investment purposes. They are a tool and just as collectable as any other modern day firearms but nothing that can be considered a real investment in our lifetimes. Especially when they are already asking those prices as new.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers
Cliff Fendley
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2018, 02:27:56 pm »

So just out of curiosity I just check supplier and a block of 4140 large enough to mill out about two frames and grips and a bar large enough to make two 5 1/2 inch barrels winds up costing around 36 dollars so they are spending about 18 dollars on the steel itself. Yet people will claim steel quality between Uberti and them, being Colt or whoever, is one of the reasons why they cost so much.

Using CNC machining on most parts cost no more in the US than it does for Uberti in Italy. Add in a couple steps and some hand fitting and action work along with real CCH there is no reason why they should cost more than three or four hundred more than a standard Uberti. Anything over that is markup gambling on what the market will bear. Colt could sell a high quality SAA for half of what they do and sell a large amount of them. I haven't understood Colts financial situation and why they are too lazy and greedy to make and sell one of their most iconic firearms while the italians are shipping them over here by the shiploads.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2018, 09:10:13 am »

Well Sir Cliff,

Were you expecting an argument, you'll be some disappointed.  Not gonna Happen.  I refused for years to buy a "High End" SA for the reasons you mention plus a couple of gripes of my own.  I don't want to start down the Colt trail as I have had heartburn with Colt forever.  And .... Colt has gone Dodo.  Will not be missed.

But, just highlight what Cliff has said, just take a hard look at the Pietta built Great Western II.  Made with CNC machining with a commonality of parts some others can only dream about.  Spending the bucks for an unimproved Replicant of a 145 year old design and charging an Arm and Leg for it .... is just a RIP OFF!!
Dave T
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2018, 10:20:35 am »

Couldn't disagree with you guys more...but I ain't gonna fight about it.

You do what you want and I'll do the same. And no, I'm not buying a Standard Manufacturing gun - yet. If they bring out a blackpowder frame model I'll probably be the first in line. (smile)

Dave
Professor Marvel
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2018, 02:47:18 pm »

Couldn't disagree with you guys more...but I ain't gonna fight about it.

You do what you want and I'll do the same. And no, I'm not buying a Standard Manufacturing gun - yet. If they bring out a blackpowder frame model I'll probably be the first in line. (smile)

Dave

Ah My Good Dave -

Not really a "fight" as it were..... More a lively discussion and grump session .
Everyone has their own style and somewhat fixed ideas on "how much" they are willing to pay for anything,
And  what items They can afford and what exactly they are willing to spend it on.

Some folks prefer a Rolex for example, and some prefer a Seiko or even a Timex.
Some folks can and will blow good money on jewel encrusted Swiss designer watches.
( que  Paul Simon's "diamonds on the soles of her shoes". ...  Lol )

They all keep good time.
For some folks , what with bills, surprise vehicle or medical costs, and, well eating regularly...
A Rolex is never gonna happen.

For cheap barstichez frugal individuals like myself, I prefer Seiko ....if I ever lost or broke a Rolex, I would be
Beside Myself... And then you would be stuck with two of me  Angry

And then whilst we are awaiting the next opportunity to go make smoke, us hivernaughts have to complain wax eloquent chat about something to stave off the boredom. God forbid we get stuck yelling at daytime TV...

Yhs
Prof mumbles+

Your Humble Servant
Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[
45 Dragoon
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2018, 05:19:29 pm »

Wow!  timely at least!!
  I've just had THE most frustrating day in the shop in years!!!! Whole day wasted!!! All because of a 2nd Gen Dragoon!! I've grown so tired of the " Colt" stigma that I am at the point of no more work on Colt 2nd gen or Sig series "Colt" revolvers!!!!!!!! Those and anything 1970's/80's !!!!  Such a waste of time!!!!  Soft wedges, 70's parts,  just isn't it worth the time!!!! AAAAAAAAAAARG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  No bigger pieces of excrement than that vintage of "stuff"!!!!!!
  Just sent out a remarkable pair of Piettas and Uberti's  last week/this week only to be blindsided by a freekin Colt  of unfreeking believable substandard quality that I'd be ashamed to say it's " a Colt!" !!

Ok, I'm almost over it .  .  .  .  .  

Professor, I prefer Rolex, just waiting to get my first one!!!  Grin

Mike

www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks
Professor Marvel
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2018, 05:58:31 pm »

Wow!  timely at least!!
  I've just had THE most frustrating day in the shop in years!!!! Whole day wasted!!! All because of a 2nd Gen Dragoon!! I've grown so tired of the " Colt" stigma that I am at the point of no more work on Colt 2nd gen or Sig series "Colt" revolvers!!!!!!!! Those and anything 1970's/80's !!!!  Such a waste of time!!!!  Soft wedges, 70's parts,  just isn't it worth the time!!!! AAAAAAAAAAARG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  No bigger pieces of excrement than that vintage of "stuff"!!!!!!
  Just sent out a remarkable pair of Piettas and Uberti's  last week/this week only to be blindsided by a freekin Colt  of unfreeking believable substandard quality that I'd be ashamed to say it's " a Colt!" !!

Ok, I'm almost over it .  .  .  .  .  

Professor, I prefer Rolex, just waiting to get my first one!!!  Grin

Mike

Ah My dear Mike
I preferred the Hasselblad, but that never happened either...

Is it possible to just replace all the Colt Dragoon guts with Uberti guts?
Cuxstomer might choke on the price, tho...

Back to the topic of the new Standard SAA...
Has anybody touched one yet?

Yhs Prof ( damn you autocorrect!)

Your Humble Servant
Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[
Dave T
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2018, 10:18:43 am »

Prof,

Over on ColtForum.com there's a fellow who owns #5 and he has actually shot it. Target he posted had nice groups at 20 yards. He says everything on the gun is perfect...fit, finish, action, even the stocks. He's also posted a number of close up photos of his Standard SAA.

Dave
Professor Marvel
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2018, 05:43:00 pm »

Prof,

Over on ColtForum.com there's a fellow who owns #5 and he has actually shot it. Target he posted had nice groups at 20 yards. He says everything on the gun is perfect...fit, finish, action, even the stocks. He's also posted a number of close up photos of his Standard SAA.

Dave

Oh Snap! thanks Dave!
I will get myself over there and check out his posts.

I had been lusting after and saving for a USFA until the owner went stupid they went under ...
in between, the Italian quality was improving .....

maybe, just maybe, if I fall into $2k after I pay for a new furnace, kitchen and master bath upgrade, and a new subaru....

or maybe i'll win the friggin lottery ....

more likely i'll buy a pietta ....
yhs
prof mvl

Your Humble Servant
Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2018, 05:44:08 pm »

45 Dragoon ....

Well, for years, Every time I mention or try to explain the Second Generation or Signature Series Cap Guns sold by Colt, the die-hard Coltistas come out of the wood work, hopping up and down and yelling loudly about how those guns are "Real Colts."  Nope.  They are built from Uberti parts.  All of them.  Beautifully finished and carefully assembled Uberti Parts.  With ALL of the usual foibles of Uberti built Open Top guns.  Bad Barrel to Arbor Fit begins the problems.  I have been constantly chastised bu the Coltistas that those guns are Real Colts, even though they were built by contractors, from Uberti parts.  Just as an addendum.  I will no longer work on Second Gen nor Signature series guns.  Just not worth the aggravation.

Now, I have no personal hands on experience with the "New" Standard Single Action.  The only concrete information I have is that is where all the machine tools from USFA went.  That being the case ..... anyone want to bet Uberti Parts will interchange, just like they did with USFA??
Buck Stinson
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2018, 12:03:21 pm »

Dave T, can't find the post you mention on the Colt Forum.  Where can I find it?
Dave T
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2018, 04:18:20 pm »

Here ya go.

[https://www.coltforum.com/forums/reloading-range-reports/341883-standard-sa-first-range-trip-w-target-pics.html]

There's also a thread in "The Lounge" section with pictures of his brand new gun.

Dave
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2018, 04:27:21 pm »

Didn't see a word about him shooting the only true Keith # 5 on the planet.  Got a link for that??
Professor Marvel
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2018, 06:21:26 pm »

Here ya go.
    [https://www.coltforum.com/forums/reloading-range-reports/341883-standard-sa-first-range-trip-w-target-pics.html]
There's also a thread in "The Lounge" section with pictures of his brand new gun.
Dave

Thank you Dave, that makes it easier!

Oh Look, Yahoody is over there! 
Hi Yahoody!

hmmmmm
is it me or did Yahoody's Uberti shoot better groups?
yhs
prof marvel

Your Humble Servant
Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Colt SAA Clones (Moderators: RRio, Gen Lew Wallace, Hoof Hearted)  |  Topic: New Colt SAA clone manufacturer « previous next »
Jump to: