Author Topic: Old Einsford VS Swiss  (Read 10058 times)

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Old Einsford VS Swiss
« on: January 14, 2017, 05:53:04 PM »
Ho the fire,

Hold the whiskey and listen up!

I've been loading 45-70 ammo, and now I have enough for a season and a half.  I do it like this.  I take a piece of clean brass, prime it with a RCBS hand primer.  After a bowl full of brass, I mark a piece with an chamber orientation mark and put some PL-II lube on the brass.  Then, I size and bell the brass.  Next, with the use of a 3' brass trumpet/drop tube, I drop in 4.3cc of black powder.  Then, I press in (with my thumb) a .460 1/8" Circle Fly Nitro card and compress it along with the black powder enough to thumb seat my DD-45-70 500 grain lube sized boolit and then give it a slight pocket safe crimp.  Next, I seat and lightly crimp the said boolit.

Ok, that's worked for me so far.  But my question is this. . . The 4.3cc dipper, well shaken, drops 64 grains of Old Einsford 1½Fg  powder.  The same exact measure of Swiss 1½ weighs 70 grains.

So, is my 45-70 a true 45-70, or is it a 45-64?

Is the Swiss more dense, or am I?

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Old Einsford VS Swiss
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 06:24:52 PM »
I   WON'T    TOUCH    THIS     ONE     WITH     SOMEBODY     ELSE'S    POLE   :o

COFFINMAKER

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1664
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 12:06:07 AM »
   Greetings!

Do you have a copy of, "Loading Cartridges for the Original .45-70 Springfield Rifle
 and Carbine" by J. S. and Pat Wolf? If not, I highly encourage you to do so, from one
BP .45-70 handloader to another!!

Be Well!

M.T.Marfield

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:19:17 PM »

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 07:35:41 AM »
Yep, you've just proven to yourself that Swiss is more dense than Olde E.  That being said, Olde E is my "go to" powder.  I'm about to order another case of it now, as a matter of fact.

I can also say with my wife's full concurrence, that I am far denser than either powder................
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 08:59:49 AM »
45-70.   My somewhat ancient Lyman 55 measure when the slide is set on 70, dispenses 70 grs. By weight of Swiss, and 63 grs. Of Goex.
To me, that would indicate that some of the earlier black powders had specific gravitiies close to or the same as Swiss.

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 11:51:28 AM »
Earlier 45-70 cases would actually hold more powder than our modern ones do.  But I concur..Swiss is more dense than GOEX.  I have no experience with OE>

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 12:18:37 PM »
 69 grains OE 2f , winchester cases, 525 gr Baco money bullet.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 02:39:45 PM »
After a bowl full of brass, I mark a piece with an chamber orientation mark and put some PL-II lube on the brass. 

If your bullets are not similarly "orientated" with an indexing mark and you haven't used a gauge to determine wall thickness on your brass, what have you achieved?

A BPCR silhouette pal did that labourious task on 100 45-70 cases for me and I put an indexing mark on one of my bullet moulds. Net achievement - zero, zilch, nada.

I find the task of reloading for my BPCRs labour intensive without doing those things and I'm getting the results I want.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 03:36:22 PM »
Don I think the hand on the trigger had more to do with that Great shooting than the powder, primer or bullet.  Good Shooting Pard . Even if you did not have a full 70gr. LOL

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 03:41:30 PM »
Thanks Ron.
I can get a full 70 grs, in but with that particular bullet 69 seems to be the sweet spot. 72 is where the paper patch bullets start to come alive. While the good ol Lyman postel and the RCBS 82084 shines at an even 70.

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 07:04:26 PM »

Density Test: Three samples locked at 100gr volumetric - powder vibrated and then weighed on a digital scale, accurate to x.02gr:

Olde E Density Test
1.5Fg - 1.0219 avg
FFG - 1.0283 avg
FFFg - 1.0824 avg

Swiss Density Test
1,044   Swiss    1,5
1,049   Swiss    FFg
1,023   Swiss    FFFg
1,094   Swiss    FFFFg
1,096   Swiss    Null-B
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 03:26:57 PM »
Thanks for all the input fellow 45-70 shooters.  Since I have a good supply of carefully loaded 45-70 ammo, all variables identical except for the powder brand, I'll now have time to do a comparison over the coming season.  I will take notes and report back.

FWIW, my 45-70 rifle is an original Remington rolling block that has been restored by Gerry Wakkinen as a 45-70.  The barrel is a Green Mountain.  The sight is a Malcolm style in a good set of mounts.  Sorry about not using iron sights but since my stroke my vision just doesn't see iron sights like they used to.

Stand by, but don't hold your breath. . .  ;)

DD-MDA
Gunfighter Ordinar

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 03:51:57 PM »
Awright,

Fer all you Particularly Peculiar Paper Punching patriarchs of pluck and pulchatude perfecting perfectly performing pinnacles of perfection ...... BUNK!!

I are a recovering Bench Rester.  45 pound rifle wid a howitzer per portion barrel, rigid rest, ultra lite set trigger, a scope I could use to map Mars.  Yep Dat was ME.  Sorted cases by manufacturer, by lot number, by the number of times fired, by primer pocket depth, by the way I held my tongue.  Ultra precise micrometer adjusted loading dies.  Super rigid press.  Bullets sorted by manufacturer, by weight, whether they had finger prints and seated by the nth degree.  Unbelievable case prep routine (I don't believe I did all that).  Neck turning, the whole enchilada.

Then one day an Old Fart walked up chuckling to hisself and said, "pick 20 cases at random, twenty bullets at random, set yer powder measure then ignore it, seat yer primers on yer press (I was seating mine carefully by hand) then come back out here with 20 of them super precise things and shot groups at 300 yards.  Measure the difference.  Squat.  Didley and Squat.  Maybe 3/32.  At most.  Heartbeat will give ya more-n-dat.  Where the heck was I going ............. Oh yea.

It's a lot more fun to just cobble up some cartridges and go out and roll some cans.  ;D

Coffinmaker

PS:  Wid a 45-70, make em BIG cans 

Offline pistol1911

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 06:01:37 PM »
Some people can complicate a steel ball. I use to be one of them. Life is a lot better now.

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 06:17:54 PM »
So, come spring I'll load up and let 'em rip.  It's the shootin' that I crave.  That and the company of fellow shooters.  I'll still take notes and do my best.  Perhaps my actual scores will be less important than the friends that I make. . .

DD-MDA
Gunfighter Ordinar

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1155
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 06:21:00 PM »
Good Luck Dick!

"pick 20 cases at random, twenty bullets at random, set yer powder measure then ignore it, seat yer primers on yer press (I was seating mine carefully by hand) then come back out here with 20 of them super precise things and shot groups at 300 yards.  Measure the difference.  Squat.  Didley and Squat.  Maybe 3/32......

My Dear Coffin -
 I understand and have similar feelings, ( I gave up on even trying long ago - a man has to know his limitations!)
 but perhaps the difference will be seen at 1000 yards?

My Good Don ( Ranch13) - Congrats! And please keep raising that good beef!

yhs
prf mumbles
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 06:28:51 PM »
Purfessor, thanks. I am retired now, but the beef is in capable hands of a young couple, and they are both determined competitors. ;D

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 06:58:31 AM »
How about a little thread drift? Ranch have you ever used Goex Cartridge? If you did what did you think of it? What did you shoot it in?
Thanks wM1
PS: How about Goex Cowboy?
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 09:15:49 AM »
Yes I've shot Cartridge, still have a good supply of it. It's an accurate powder, it's is a little dirty but nothing that is unmanageable,( one variation from that is a 50-90 case full of powder and either a paper patch or grease groove bullet, is about like shooting smokeless it's so clean.)
 It was a bad deal when Goex dumped Cartridge and Express at the same time, but when they finally got the recipe down on Eynsford, they really hit a hot lick. Now I understand that OE is coming in 1f , which should be a great thing for the big bores and shotguns.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 01:40:46 PM »
I spent a year trying to beat the accuracy I was getting from Silver Box Winchester .308 PSP ammo in my heavy barrel "Tacticool" rifle.
I bought micrometer dies, weighed every charge, sorted brass by make, number of firings, etc., etc. I succeeded, but ....

Then I read an article by Mike Venturino who spent a week end with Clint Smith at Thunder ranch shooting steel silhouettes out to 700 yds with .308 rifles. Clint Smith used range pick up brass, unsorted, untrimmed, thrown powder charges, etc. and never missed a shot.

For BPCRs, I admit to an annual case trimming and I anneal frequently. I use my 'lectronic measure to dispense powder, use a drop tube, compress powder and that's about ti. I've shot good groups both with and without lubed wads, all shooting from x-stix prone.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com