Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2017, 11:36:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1873 (Moderator: Major 2)  |  Topic: How much should a new Uberti 1873 Winchester carbine cost? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How much should a new Uberti 1873 Winchester carbine cost?  (Read 3845 times)
Cliff Fendley
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2017, 09:49:29 pm »

How can you adjust your sights?  

By filing. shorten the rear sight a little at a time until it hits point of aim.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers
Doug.38PR
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2017, 11:24:33 am »

By filing. shorten the rear sight a little at a time until it hits point of aim.

Shocked Ouch!   Why didn't the factory do this before leaving?   To have to take a file and adjust your gun seems a little...wrong.

If I wanted to, could I easily replace the ladder sights for buckhorn adjustable sights?   Or will that involve drilling new screw holes and such?
Abilene
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2017, 01:42:45 pm »

The factory didn't do it because they are copying the originals.  These guns were designed to shoot to POA at some further distance (100 yds?).  Same with many Colt's design pistols, the sights were regulated to hit POA at 100 yards, I think, so they shoot high at shorter distances.

Galloway
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2017, 04:06:25 pm »

I used to think that, now I think its just mfg's being lazy then and today. I also doubt most customers ever put them on paper or learned to shoot both then and today lol.
Doug.38PR
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2017, 09:37:29 pm »

The factory didn't do it because they are copying the originals.  These guns were designed to shoot to POA at some further distance (100 yds?).  Same with many Colt's design pistols, the sights were regulated to hit POA at 100 yards, I think, so they shoot high at shorter distances.

How do you do at 100 yards with or without filing down?
Abilene
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2017, 04:38:16 pm »

How do you do at 100 yards with or without filing down?

I haven't done a lot of long distance shooting with my toggle-link guns, as most of my shooting is CAS.  But one of the clubs had a target at about 80 yds that was a bonus shot and I think that my 44-40  and .357 carbines both hit it with a center hold (but it was probably a couple foot square target and I don't know where it hit).

Cliff Fendley
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2017, 06:19:33 pm »

Shocked Ouch!   Why didn't the factory do this before leaving?   To have to take a file and adjust your gun seems a little...wrong.

If I wanted to, could I easily replace the ladder sights for buckhorn adjustable sights?   Or will that involve drilling new screw holes and such?

Actually if I file them I make the profile of the notch more like an original instead of that big ole ugly square groove in the Italian sights. Done properly a little cold bluing and you can't tell it's been done.

Yes you can replace the carbine style ladder sight with a short buckhorn. That's what is on one of mine that has a rifle style butt stock with a carbine style barrel and forearm.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1873 (Moderator: Major 2)  |  Topic: How much should a new Uberti 1873 Winchester carbine cost? « previous next »
Jump to: