Author Topic: Axe Handles  (Read 3249 times)

Offline Ruff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Born 100 Years Too Late
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Axe Handles
« on: December 22, 2016, 02:55:39 PM »
Howdy pard,

Living in Oklahoma now, I have had to chop some fire wood. A chore that I enjoyed as a kid and teen, there is something about the rhythm that seemed to give me plenty of time to think. While I chopped plenty of wood for my grandparents and parents, I never handled the maintenance of the equipment. When I went out to the girlfriends shed today, I found the most, the handles were not in the best shape, the heads actually flew of a couple of times, the first time just missing the French Doors.

I seem to remember a wedge or something at the top of the handle to keep the head on. Also wood or fiberglass? When I looked at Tractor Supply, Lowes and Ace Hardware, I saw several different styles of handles some for single bit, some for double bit and lengths of 26 or 32 inches.

What should I get? I count one double bit blade, there is a cutting edge on both ends, 2 mauls and blade and then a sledge hammer like surface and about a 5 pound head, maybe more. All the heads are loose, so should I try to make do or just replace it all?

Thank you.
Ruff
SASS #16965, WASA #155, NCOWS #3636, GAF #304
GHSS CP-088, Oregon Trail Regulators (Nebraska) #7, Cracker Cow Cavalry
RO I & II
Double Barrel C's Land and Cattle Co.
Soon to be Abilene, TX

Offline Shawnee McGrutt

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: Axe Handles
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 05:51:38 PM »
Hello Ruff, been a while.
from what you said, I take it that the handles are beat.  I would take the heads in and match them up with a good handle.  I myself prefer wood.  I like the feel of wood.  I don't like fiberglass, the one fiberglass handle I had, had a "ring" to it. 
If the axe handles are not to bad, and the axe head is just loose, I would just wedge them.  I make my own out of a piece of oak or another hard wood.  Store bought work just as well.
I use a wet stone and light oil to put an edge on the axe bit.  I like a good edge.  The wood splits like butter.  Not really, but I think you know what I mean.
Do you have a splitting wedge?  There is one on the market called, the wood grenadine, it will bust up a knotty stick of wood, easily.
At 62, I prefer a ten horse power engine and hydraulics powering a splitting wedge ;D

National Congress of Old West Shootists 3633
Single Action Shooting Society 88462
Society of Remington Revolver Shooters
The Sublyme and Holy Order of the Soot
"I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question." - Yogi Berra

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 07:25:35 PM »
There should already be a wedge in the handles, might need to tap it in again-OR maybe the handles are just dried and shrunk.What I've red(but never had to try) is you can get a temporary fix by soaking it in a bucket of water, but more permanent by soaking in some linseed oil. Maybe thin that with some turpentine or something, since it's pretty thick as is. I haven't ever had to resort to that, though.

I prefer a 6lb splitting maul, mine has an "axe eye" head, as in the handle shape is kind of oval where it fits into the head, instead of almost round. Been using the same one for 30 years, on about the third handle. Had a 16  year old nephew staying with us once, he could break a handle in a day, I wouldn't let him use my maul, made him use my ex wife's 16 lb "Monster Maul", had a steel pipe handle. Best way in the world to make the job 10 times harder! I don't even like an 8lb.

And back when I was younger, and building fences with wood posts a lot, I found a 13lb post maul much more to my liking than a 16lb one.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:21:18 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 09:24:37 PM »
Plus One to McGrunt.  Hydraulic splitting ram and a hot thermos of Coffee.  Lawn Chair.

Coffinmaker

PS:  The Lawn Chair is so you can properly appreciate the Girlfriend loading the splitter.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 416
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 11:36:01 PM »
Plus One to McGrunt.  Hydraulic splitting ram and a hot thermos of Coffee.  Lawn Chair.

Coffinmaker

PS:  The Lawn Chair is so you can properly appreciate the Girlfriend loading the splitter.

I'd agree with one exception, 2 lawn chairs, I'd have the girl get her a chair as well ( when she gets yours ) , I hate to have to see her having to stand  :-\

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Shawnee McGrutt

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 03:55:20 AM »
Coffinmaker, it is McGrutt, McGrunt is what one does after they eat at McDonalds  :o
National Congress of Old West Shootists 3633
Single Action Shooting Society 88462
Society of Remington Revolver Shooters
The Sublyme and Holy Order of the Soot
"I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question." - Yogi Berra

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 416
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 04:42:48 AM »
McDonalds ?.... makes me McFart
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 01:58:32 PM »
I've seen a trick using an old tire to set the wood in, preventing it flying all over. The tire hold the wood in place while you whack away. No time to rest 'though!

Just found an alternate way to acheive the same effect;  With a bit of chain and a bungie cord;

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com