Author Topic: Pietta 1860 Army  (Read 12830 times)

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
Pietta 1860 Army
« on: December 16, 2016, 04:12:24 PM »
Mail ordered a on sale 1860 from Cabela's and got it in two days, that's service! It looks good and seemed a bit better then others I've looked at lately. Action was just a bit rough but bolt timing is OK and lock up is tight. The grip stain comes off on your hand as did the 1851. The wedge came out with a tap of a piece of wood. This one I decided to take fully apart before shooting and look for those rough spots. There were metal burrs and rough finish on more of the important surfaces then expected. Most were fixed with a hard stone but the ratchet required a swiss file and stones to clean up. The bore is quite good but the patches showed a lot of cleaning was needed. I used JB bore paste and wire brushes for near a half hour till it came pretty clean. Shooting was done at 20 yards with 30 grains of 2f Goex a felt wad soaked in SPG, a .451" ball and Remington #10 caps. Nasty weather today so it was just over the hood from sand bags but results show good potential.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
Re: Pietta 1860 Army
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 04:26:13 PM »
Nice revolver, Kent. Yes, I would agree that sixgun has some potential all right. Did you clean up the hammer nose to prevent cap sucking? I just saw Mike Beliveau's Youtube on this fix for Colts this morning.

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 08:17:34 PM »
Bill, the hammer had a burr in the notch that I removed. I did have some blown caps drop into the action but didn't have much of a problem with it. I may weld it up as I will polish and color case harden the  hammer, loading lever and action.
I should of mentioned the barrel cylinder gap is close .006" and the forcing cone is good as is the muzzle.
Member, whiskey livers

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:30:32 AM »

Offline Mossyrock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 10:16:18 AM »
Since you are going to color case some parts, are you going to checker the hammer and defarb and reblue the barrel?
Mossyrock

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 10:40:40 AM »
Yes I will do a bit of reshaping and remove the proof marks on the receiver. The hammer checkering will be recut and every thing smoothed up. If I do decide to reblue it will be charcoal blued and I'll defarb the barrel plus a taller sight. I hope I can afford working for myself  ::) on this pistol.
Member, whiskey livers

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 11:12:54 AM »
I've got the cap-and-ball fever again, but may just wait until the weather warms some. My fingers have gotten "fumblier" in the cold as I have gotten older.

Offline Big T

• Big "T"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • www.tbarkcustomknives.com
    • T bar K Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 02:05:17 PM »
With my 1860 I am getting 1 3/4 in groups with it at 20 yds in the rested slow fire area , if i brush the barrel after every cyl full it will keep doing it but if not it will spread out to almost 3 inches , i shoot 25 grs of pyro P an 457 round ball no wad an greesed cyl ends it is a quite impressive , ,i got a 58 conversion with 5 in barrel that will shoot a 1 hole group same way 5.7 grs of trailboss an 230 rnlb , so i really like both of mine  ;D
Tank & Kathy ,T bar k Custom knives

God Bless All to their Own Standards Accordingly thru Jesus Christ !

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 09:06:21 PM »
Hello all
My pair of Piettas 1860 Army revolvers, one fluted, one standard  They came back from Goons Guns (shameless plug) and work like a charm.The fluted gun now has 96 rounds through it with no cap jams. I am not sure of accuracy and am afraid to check, but they shot a clean six stage match the beginning of the month for me and I can't ask for more than that. Loaded with Du Pont FFFg Gun Powder (I am almost through the case). According to the lot number it is 47 years old and works just fine. Old man + old guns + old powder = clean match!!
Is there such a category as Frontiersman Gun Fighter? Now that would be wild. I will check with the range master in March.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

45 Dragoon

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 08:56:17 AM »
Thanks for the nod Bunk!! Next time we'll do my full coil spring change over. It gives the same "feel" as the flat springs, with Ruger durability, but  It doesn't induce the cylinder "throw-by " found in a Ruger! The only flat left is the tuned mainspring. That will give you a virtually "bulletproof " 60 !!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 04:04:51 PM »
Bunk,
Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter.  Same rules as Frontier Cartridge anything.  TOTAL FUN!!

Coffinmaker

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 04:29:48 PM »
HI CM
I shoot Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter now, but I want to do it with my pair of Pietta 1860 percussion. The pair now has 125 rounds with no cap jam, no problem. Cap Gun Gunfighter now that might be something.
Bunk

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 07:30:40 PM »
No No No Bunk   :o.  Now pay attention   ::)   Close attention!! :P

I have been shooting Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter ......... With CAP GUNS for years.  CAP GUN Snubbies yetz.  Nothing says you have to shoot Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter with Suppositories  ::).  You can shoot Percussion guns in ANY category.  Thing I like about FCGF is the requirement for a double shotgun, not one of those pump handle things.  Of course, if yer really doin it doin it doin it, yer shotgun will have Rabbit Ears.  And All Brass Hulls.  Yepper.

I haven't shot suppository guns in ..... well ..... years.  So.  Drag yer Pietta 1860 percussion guns out, fill em up wid powder and ball ad have a BALL!!

Coffinmaker

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 07:55:29 AM »
I will be a monkeys uncle a loop hole on SASS regulations! What do you know about that.
The guns have been "goonized" and now have shot a total of 126 rounds without a cap jam or ay other stoppage.
Next match watch the smoke
Thanks CM
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 05:54:59 PM »

Friend Coffinmaker
Yup got the shotgun a Pioneer with a Greener lockup. It looks exactly like the “give Doc the shotgun” shotgun super cool. Great big ears cock both with one sweep of my hand.

As far as brass shells go just now I finally got the plastic cut down roll crimp idea working. My brass shells are old Winchesters and pretty brittle. I loaded some a few years ago, and had a some of them split. The only other brass shells I have are some 10-gauge stored somewhere in the back locker, so even though brass is cool I will stay with (ew) plastic.

My brother has the gun but sometime many years ago, he installed a shock absorber butt stock and lost the wood. I really don’t feel like restocking the thing just to shoot those brass shells.

Yr’ Obt’ Svt’

Bunk

Offline westgerl

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 06:24:30 PM »
Amazing revolver, looks really great and it's in a perfect condition.  ::)
Testa att spela på en av alla dessa sidor där du kan hitta en bonus som du kan spelamed.

Offline Rooster Ron Wayne

• Rooster
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Lube your Balls & Cap your Nipples ~ Just Sayin !
  • SASS #: 86029
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 10:33:01 PM »
Well I got me some 1860 Pietta sheriff models tuned up by the Coffinmaker himself.
These babies a sweet .

I just bought 2 more cylinders and slix nipples.
Dont know how much I will be shooting my cartridge guns anymore.
I got bit by the 1860 Cap gun bug !

Im going to shoot my Henry 44/40 with my Cap guns.
And maybe my single shot shotgun .
Frontier cowboys here I come !
Rrrrr errrrr errrr
Rooster .
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com