Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2017, 02:24:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Longbranch (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Silver Creek Slim, Camille Eonich)  |  Topic: How cold was it? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How cold was it?  (Read 1079 times)
PJ Hardtack
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« on: December 12, 2016, 05:13:46 pm »

This morning the thermometer read -30+C (-20F). I can handle a couple of days without some hard physical exercise, but after that, cabin fever sets in.
It warmed after lunch to a balmy -18*C, bright and sunny, no wind, so me and the dogs went for a 10 km x-country ski on the lake.
Multiple light layers and wool gloves inside thinsulate mitts kept my hands warm.

Glorious to be out there! Makes you wonder how all the critters survive under these temps, especially the little birds that don't migrate. I make sure to keep the bird feeders well stocked.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne
Buffalo Creek Law Dog
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 10:32:55 am »

I have a flock of Bluejays that I feed Daily during the winter.  I have 4 feeding stations 2 ft apart so they don't fight over just one, as they don't like to share.

SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
PJ Hardtack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 11:36:55 am »

It's -33*C today, clear, blue skies, no wind. Not expected to get warmer than -22*C. If it does, I may go x-country skiing again.

We have some gray Jays (Whisky Jacks) that like the high protein food we feed our dogs. This bird has just been made our official national bird.

I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne
PJ Hardtack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 06:35:05 pm »

Well, the dogs and I did go skiing after it warmed up to -20*C. It was great in the sunshine, but If I ventured into the shade on the fr side of the lake, I could feel the temp drop.

The cold guarantees that the ice will be well established before we get heavy snow. In years past, we've had the snow first and the ice never really did form well.

The Trinity Kid
Top Active Citizen

These are some of my...Friends

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 12:41:29 am »

It was 45F in my part of California.  Rained a good part of the day and put snow up in the higher elevations.  We're expecting almost 10 feet of snow above the 7000ft level this week. 

--TK

"James shook his head and twirled his Colt into it's holster with a smile.  There was some coffee left in the pot, so he poured it in his cup and leaned against the wall by the door.  The sun was setting in the distance, creating a beautiful sunset. 
   “Texas has better sunsets.”  He heard Terri say next to him.  He turned to face her.
   “Of course it does.  But we gotta get what we can in the mean time.” He said with a lopsided grin.  She smiled back and pulled her Colt, stuffing the barrel into his belly.
   “Yer' getting slow.  Better work on that.”  She said and walked back into the house with the empty coffee pot. 
   “We saw that, y' know.”  Clint Rounds said laughing.   James turned red and tried to hide his embarrassment."   Excerpt fromTHE FLOPPY HAT FROM TEXAS," being written by yours truly.

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?
Rye Miles
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 08:42:02 am »

Currently 14 degrees, windy and we got a pile of snow from a couple days ago. 18" to be exact! Did I mention how much I hate winter??? Angry

Northeast Ohio

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 01:28:13 pm »

Why, No Rye, I don't think you did.  Just how much do you like Winter .... eh??

Coffinmaker
Rye Miles
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 08:51:44 am »

I had a chance to move to Henderson,Nevada a few years ago with my son, we both decided against it and he's in Nashville and I'm stuck here. Henderson is just outside of Vegas and easy access to many CAS clubs and NO SNOW!!! Shocked

Northeast Ohio

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 11:54:07 am »

Actually Rye,

No matter where ya go ..... There ya are!! (This has nothing to do with anything.  I'm just bored)

Coffinmaker
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Longbranch (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Silver Creek Slim, Camille Eonich)  |  Topic: How cold was it? « previous next »
Jump to: