Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2017, 01:02:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  USFA CSS (Moderator: Capt. John Fitzgerald)  |  Topic: marks on cylinder face 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: marks on cylinder face  (Read 2619 times)
LonesomePigeon
Top Active Citizen

« on: November 23, 2016, 11:22:33 am »

Here is a link to a gunbroker USFA that I was watching. Picture number 7 shows some marks on the cylinder face. Can someone tell me what these marks are, if they're just normal marks from being fired?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/600885663
GaryG
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 11:50:13 am »

I would say not from being fired.  BTW, this gun looks like a few that USFA had color cased by Classic Guns out in IL.  Their colors had more gold than Turnbulls.
VAplinker
Citizen

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 03:59:16 pm »

I saw this same gun listing. It looked to me like leading, but I could be wrong. I had very similar marks on my cylinder from using Ultramax ammo (I don't get it from Black Hills ammo, which I use now).

I was able to remove it - it really did look like scratches at first, and I read through several forum posts to discover that it was just lead residue. I saw several folks note that wasn't a big deal, and to be cautious how you remove it from a blued gun (you don't want to use lead-away clothes for fear of damaging bluing, from what I read).

I don't know if this is the case with this revolver, but to my naked eye and the photos it does look quite a bit like the lead I had on my cylinder after using that Ultramax ammo.
St. George
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 06:06:35 pm »

Leading.

That's what those bright spots are - minute (some not so minute) flakes of lead peeled off at the forcing cone.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."
LonesomePigeon
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 11:30:43 pm »

Thanks for the replies. I take it leading could happen to any gun if you are using ammo it doesn't like?
St. George
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 11:37:13 pm »

Not really.

It 'can' happen on any revolver when the cylinder isn't properly aligned with a properly-beveled forcing cone, or if the cylinder's out of true.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 01:56:30 pm »

Piling ON here.  I'm with St. George.  It's lead.  Not a lot of lead, but lead.  Were It my gun I'd be putting a range rod down the barrel to check cylinder/barrel alignment and taking a hard look at the forcing cone.  Actually I'd have done all that before I fired it and would have re-cut the OEM forcing cone to 11 degrees.  Nothing magical about 11 degrees.  11 degrees just seems to work quite well.

Coffinmaker
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  USFA CSS (Moderator: Capt. John Fitzgerald)  |  Topic: marks on cylinder face « previous next »
Jump to: