Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 01, 2017, 02:00:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1876 (Moderator: Grizzly Adams)  |  Topic: Uberti Shallow Rifling 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Uberti Shallow Rifling  (Read 503 times)
Coal Creek Griff
Top Active Citizen

With Cheyenne Luke

« on: October 30, 2016, 04:06:31 pm »

I noticed when I slugged the bore of my Uberti 1876 carbine (see the other thread for the nightmare involved there), that the rifling seemed particularly shallow.  It slugged at .457, so I sized my cast bullets at .458.  I was disappointed at the accuracy of my first handloads.  I was only shooting at 45 yards, the maximum for my home shooting range.  A couple of shots would group together, but the others would be at the edge or off the targets.  I then tried some unsized bullets, which cast at .459 and the accuracy much improved. I shot two 5-shot groups to try it out.  One was 2.5" and the other was 1.5".  I'm a bit at the mercy of the sights; I suspect that the rifle/loads can do better.  Has anyone else encountered issues with shallow rifling in these guns?

On a separate topic, the loads also shoot about 7-8" high at that range, which is part of the sighting problem.  I ended up flipping up the ladder sight and sighting with the front sight just over the curve at the bottom of the ladder sight (with the sliding portion slid up and out of the way).  That made consistency a bit difficult, but put the bullets on the right bullseye.  I'm going to keep working on loads, but initial indications are that I will need a taller front sight.  Are those sights soldered in place?  I have no experience in working with solder on guns.  I've added brass beads to the top of iron sights with JB Weld, but it's kind of unsightly (no pun intended).  Any comments about resolving that issue?  Frankly, I don't do too much shooting at longer ranges; it's just so convenient to shoot a few steps away from my shop.  I tend to pick smaller targets and shoot at closer range.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573
Irascible
Citizen

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 09:43:53 pm »

The groove depth should not be a problem. The poor sights are. What alloy are you casting? Try harder or softer. probably harder unless you are shooting black powder. If you are shooting smokeless, powder position is important in that large case, try raising the muzzle before each shot. If that works you may need something to hold the powder against the primer. Try filler or 1/2 of a pure cotton, cotton ball.
Sounds like a higher front sight will do it for you. Loosen that small set screw and tap out the old sight from left to right.

There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness
Coal Creek Griff
Top Active Citizen

With Cheyenne Luke

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 11:30:50 pm »

Wow!  Someone replied to my question!  I had actually forgotten that I asked it.

My alloy is range lead and I'm not sure of the BHN, but it has always worked for me with these rather low velocity guns.  I need to do further testing and I'm hoping that this weekend will provide the opportunity.

The gun is a carbine, so the front sight is different than a rifle sight. There is no set screw and it appears to be soldered in place. I just mounted a tang sight which has more adjustment range and it should help me test my loads.  I am a bit sorry to lose the original look of the sights, but it should make the gun more usable.

Thanks for the comments!

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573
Cliff Fendley
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 04:30:43 pm »

All I know is my 45-75 does not shoot groups to my satisfaction and I too have been blaming the shallow rifling. It's to the point I'm thinking about having the barrel relined on a brand new gun. Does anyone know who can do this on a 45-75. I would like it to have rifling like the original Winchester 76's.

Honestly the more I play with these Uberti rifles I'm finding an original Winchester with even a mediocre bore will outshoot these new guns. The rifling is much deeper in the old guns.

I'm shooting black powder so that may compound the problem with the shallow rifling however I can't even get satisfactory groups with smokeless in my uberti 76.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers
Coal Creek Griff
Top Active Citizen

With Cheyenne Luke

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 07:06:23 pm »

Well, I did some testing with my Uberti 1876 carbine today.  I was shooting smokeless loads from a rest.  I was sighting in a Marble tang sight, so I started at only 25 yards.  From that distance, I got pretty small groups.  For one 5-shot group from that distance, four holes were touching (you had to look close to see that there were four) and one was just outside.  When I moved back to 45 yards (the maximum for my range), I started to get some vertical stringing.  That could be my fault or the barrel could have been heating up.  Windage was right on.  I'll do some more shooting, but that looked pretty good to me.  I think the .459 bullets made a difference.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573
Mike
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 03:02:29 am »

My 76 carbine in 45-60 shot so high out of the box i removed the sights and put a tang sight on it and a lyman tall front sight, it looks rubbish but at least it shoots onto the target now. A friend got the same gun at the same time and his was the same. Cant get it to shoot BP with any consistent groups so have given up BP.
It shoots very well with 298grn as cast from my lyman mould with 4759 which i have enough to see me out. I did cut my case short so i can crimp in the grove.

Buffalochip
treebeard
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 11:32:51 am »

My 76 carbine in 45-60 shot so high out of the box i removed the sights and put a tang sight on it and a lyman tall front sight, it looks rubbish but at least it shoots onto the target now. A friend got the same gun at the same time and his was the same. Cant get it to shoot BP with any consistent groups so have given up BP.
It shoots very well with 298grn as cast from my lyman mould with 4759 which i have enough to see me out. I did cut my case short so i can crimp in the grove.

Mike-- Did you try a heavier bullet before changing the original sights out. Just curios, the 1876 is still on my short list that I am keeping an eye out for.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Winchester Model 1876 (Moderator: Grizzly Adams)  |  Topic: Uberti Shallow Rifling « previous next »
Jump to: