Author Topic: help/ advice sought  (Read 9901 times)

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
help/ advice sought
« on: October 26, 2016, 03:28:14 PM »
hello the camp
     I am thinking of getting a replica mountain howitzer.  I don't know very much about firing cannons, and have no hands on experience.  Any suggestions re: reference material or sources to get schooled up would be highly appreciated.  Thanks

Offline S. Quentin Quale, Esq.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: help/ advice sought
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 03:41:48 PM »
Maybe a better idea would be to join a re-enactor unit that either has your type of gun or at least a similar gun so you can get instruction from knowledgeable people.

Book learning is important, but when it comes to artillery so is some "hands on" experience.

SQQ

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 04:25:57 PM »
I live a longgg way away from anything.  Joining an outfit isn't really practical for me, and anyway, a little book larnin generally doesn't hurt

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:30:11 PM »

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 05:36:12 PM »
Matt45, you should PM Books O'Toole, he's a member here, but probably is more active in the NCOWS forum. He has(had) a mountain howitzer, and was interested in selling it, I think.

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 05:54:20 PM »
Maybe a better idea would be to join a re-enactor unit that either has your type of gun or at least a similar gun so you can get instruction from knowledgeable people.

Book learning is important, but when it comes to artillery so is some "hands on" experience.

SQQ

There's a joke in there somewhere about arty and hands.
GAF#379

Offline S. Quentin Quale, Esq.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 07:43:53 AM »
There's a joke in there somewhere about arty and hands.

Seek and ye shall find!!!   :D

SQQ

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 08:57:19 AM »
Thanks Gentlemen,
     I'm going to have to put this on hold.  from what I gather, the cannon is just the first part of the equation, both parts being made of money.  I'm not, so I can't ;)

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 09:47:00 AM »
The key words are 'I don't know much about firing cannons...'

Until you do - and that means building up (and reading and comprehending) a solid reference library - you're better off not entering into this except for fantasy.

Muzzle-loading cannon are no joke - they kill at long ranges, even when scaled down, and that needs to be the first and foremost thought when firing.

It also means eagle-eye vigilance on those who act as the gun crew, because it's been known that there are rectal pores out there who want to add some 'zip' to the smoke and thunder by adding smokeless powder - and 'that' changes point of impact dramatically, so trying to locate an existing group is a really good idea, and those guys are found in the Civil War reenactment community.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 10:11:10 AM »
I am the proud owner of a full scale Mountain Howitzer on a pack carriage, with all of the bells and whistles.  I know of at least one person more knowledgeable than me.  Colonel Paul Rosewitz, (U.S. Army retired) is the world foremost authority on the Mt. Howitzer.

I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.  (I'd be even happier to sell the gun.  I used a lot when I was active with the Frontier Army Living History Association.  However since that group went defunct,  it mostly sits in my work shop.)

Books  
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 11:23:38 AM »
OK...
'If' you are looking to sell, please advise on content, all pieces-parts, ball mould, powder, weight, etc. Please advise on S&H or pick up on-site.
Please list complete price or trade, might know of a buyer.
Thanks in  advance. Best regards and good shooting!
'Ol Gabe,
NCOWS #925

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 11:51:02 AM »
I am the proud owner of a full scale Mountain Howitzer on a pack carriage, with all of the bells and whistles.  I know of at least one person more knowledgeable than me.  Colonel Paul Rosewitz, (U.S. Army retired) is the world foremost authority on the Mt. Howitzer.

I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.  (I'd be even happier to sell the gun.  I used a lot when I was active with the Frontier Army Living History Association.  However since that group went defunct,  it mostly sits in my work shop.)

Books  

2100 posts and you post this?  I oughta report you to the mods.

WHERE ARE THE PICS?!?!?!?! ;D ;D
GAF#379

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 12:21:05 PM »
I'm a low tech guy.  I will see if I can figure out some pics when I get home.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 12:25:04 PM »
I have all loading implements, dummy rounds (canister, spherical case & shell), two limber boxes and the shafts for one horse maneuvering.

It was on the cover of The Shootist fall or winter 05ish.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 01:04:38 PM »
Yeah, why has this not been on one of the stages at a KVC match???   

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 01:58:53 PM »
Yeah, why has this not been on one of the stages at a KVC match???   

It could be:  for about $5 a shot.

I would also consider a trade for more man portable ordinance.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2016, 03:16:10 PM »
Books,

You may want to offer your images to one of the Moderators of this forum to see if they are willing to post them for you?
I offered images of an original 32 lbs. gun carriage I had built to one of the moderators. It was refused due to the cost of saving images on that system for something little was known about, or little interest was shown.
Still, it maybe worth a try?
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2016, 04:15:01 PM »
Had the opportunity to be a cannoneer on Books howitzer and fired a salute at the 2006 (?) GAF Muster in Kansas. What a thrill!!

Besides all the "bells and whistles", you'll need a proper trailer to transport it.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 420
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2016, 05:27:54 AM »
Books , Email me the pix. I'll be more happy to post them.

I've built two pack carriages for Mtn. guns ...one was for original gun last I heard it was on display to New Mexico.

the other ( a Replica ) for reenactment group , it had sold a few times since and now in Henderson Ala.
and a Billinghurst-Requa Volley gun carriage, also for a reenactment Group 48th NY  How displayed on Morris Island. 

as an aside , I also built a Navel Carriage for a replica 3 pounder , for Tom Sawyers Island @ WDW
and  4 seacoast mounts for 32 pounder Guns ( the tubes I cast in Fiberglas off the real gun at Ft. McAlister, Ga. ) for Battery Wagner in the Film "Glory" & "Ironclades"  ....

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 32291, NCOWS L170, GAF 74
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2016, 08:25:14 AM »
I did what you are talking about. A couple years back I purchased a Coehorn tube & hardware from Dixie Gun Works & assembled my gun. This link is the letter I had to sign to purchase the barrel.
https://www.dixiegunworks.com/artillery.pdf?osCsid=3h65juull23kq6cji53h52qh10

For the more detailed & complete instructions follow the instructions at this site. http://artillerymanmagazine.com/safety_rules.html

I had fired my gun a few times before bringing it to the GAF Muster a couple years back, I did a night shoot with a photo being taken, shocked to see how much came out the vent, since then I place a board covering the vent to absorb the primer, & to deflect the blast.

I agree, it would be a good idea to join in on civil war reenactments, but that didn’t work for me very well, the group always have enough people to fire the cannon’s so I end up in the Infantry. Occasionally they would need me to be the 2nd cannon, which typically I do myself. Or if they are demonstrating the full crew, they will use me.

The Coehorn is short enough that I can cover the vent while cleaning out the barrel. In the 2 years, I have fired more than 100 times, about 75% of the time solo. When firing or teaching procedures with others, I have 2 instruction sheets on either side of the gun, & list in bold what #1 & #2 are responsible for.

Best to work with others in your area if you can.

Dusty

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2016, 08:48:24 AM »
Ditto what Dusty said.

I crewed with and learned from some very good artillerists;  Steve Allie, Dan Lawrence, John King and Paul Rosewitz.  Steve and John were cracker jack Civil War re-enactor artillerymen.  Dan and his crew won the live fire competition at Fort Sill two or three years in a row.  Paul was a modern artlillery man as well as the the world's foremost authority on the Mountaina Howitzer.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com