Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2017, 08:43:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Longbranch (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Silver Creek Slim, Camille Eonich)  |  Topic: AR Platforms not exactly Old West But 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AR Platforms not exactly Old West But  (Read 9137 times)
Professor Marvel
purveyor of useless items to the gentry
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

life is too short to waste on stupid

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2016, 07:23:32 pm »

there ya go major - make it into a ratty looking instrument case that does not scream "hey doods this is one expensive axe"

yhs
prof sneaky

Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2016, 06:09:58 pm »

Most instrument cases I've been tempted by, in my miss-spent youth, contained 1928s.  There is just something ........ WONDERFUL ....... about a 1928 with a 50 round drum.  An AR platform would do though. 

After my experience with the AR platform, 1966, 1967, 1968 and 1969 .... having been somewhat less than harmonious, I'd have to opt for the "M4" without the carry handle.  Having to have one apart on one's chest, in a rice paddy, does not promote the ultimate in confidence.
An old BAR on the other hand, would come up out of the mud spitting cases and goo.  I also really really liked the M-14.  Gives new meaning to "reach out and touch someone."

Although, there were times I went out with my Dragunov for "special occasions."

Coffinmaker
pony express
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2016, 09:06:07 am »

After my experience with the AR platform, 1966, 1967, 1968 and 1969 .... having been somewhat less than harmonious, I'd have to opt for the "M4" without the carry handle.  Having to have one apart on one's chest, in a rice paddy, does not promote the ultimate in confidence.
I guess a person could get a "Modern" M-4 type, and add an extra A-1 upper and stock for nostalgia's sake, while the lower may not be "correct" it should all fit and look similar to the M-16 A1. Since I'm about 10 years junior to the Coffinmaker, I've never had the experience of mixing M-16s and rice paddies, after basic all we got in Germany was the yearly "familiarization" where we didn't even go down to see the targets! And as for the rice paddies, I only been around them in the Philippines visiting my wife's home town.
PJ Hardtack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2016, 01:22:58 pm »

I've been away from this forum for a spell due to switching to Windows 10, losing my password, etc. Ironic that when I come back, the topic on the Longbranch should be the AR 15.

Two AR 15s in this household - both S&W 'Sport' models which lack the ejection port cover. My wife bought hers first and wouldn't let me shoot it. When she relented, I liked it so much that I bought one! Hers is done up in 'Muddy Girl' camo. We added MagPul grips, red dot sights, an ambi safety for her and large cocking handles for both. We also have CMMG .22LR conversion kits for them.

That was so much fun that it led to a TAR 21 Tavor. You know how it goes .....

Unfortunately, in Kanuckistan, the AR 15 is a "restricted'' firearm which means that it is in the same class as a handgun. That requires transport with trigger lock applied, in a lockable hard case and can only be discharged on an "approved" range. My Tavor is NOT restricted (go figure) as yet, but we think it may be added to the list.

We think that if Hillary is elected, our government will drop the hammer on us with further restrictions, etc. Our government will be in lock step with the Democrats, whatever they do.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2016, 04:06:30 pm »

Well ....... Hi PJ!!

And there you were.  At 40,000 feet with no parachute.  You had the perfect opportunity, whit attendant excuse to GET A MAC  Roll Eyes Grin

Back to our regularly scheduled programming  Cool

Coffinmaker

PS:  I do hope things on your side of the D-Militarized Zone don't get any worse.
PJ Hardtack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2016, 08:03:25 pm »

Thanks for the sentiments! But if Hitlery gets into the Oval Office, US gun owners are in for a ride that will make our issues pale by comparison.
Your 2nd Amendment will be under attack as never before. In the meantime, smart folks are stocking up and hoarding anything and everything to do with guns.

BTW - the highest I ever jumped was a 70 second delay from 13,000 feet. You have a lot of faith in the spotting of the Jumpmaster and the accuracy of the aerial photo to show landmarks. Then there's the matter of contrary winds on the way down.

Lots to consider on the way down as you work to come together with the other jumpers in a formation.

I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne
Major 2
"Still running against the wind"
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2016, 10:05:23 pm »

My next project is to convert this into a surreptitious carrier.  It will be a tinkerers project.

I got this on Goodwill.com for $15.10

I have a NcSTAR Inc. Vism Carbine Gun Case, and it reads "GUN "
OK for the range  .... But it can raise eyebrows, even suspicions so .... a retro & handy idea for my project.  

Whelp ....nice case  in like new cond.  but lacked about 1 inch to fit the AR , less I broke it down (upper & lower) and that'd be P.I.T.A.
just to go shoot....

so I made it fit my Israeli typewriter .... I noted : these  are $140 bucks ( same for AR's or other makes )  ... I can do that   Lips Sealed  and save
$120

* 3442760131221711.jpg (99.96 KB, 600x450 - viewed 74 times.)

* pix137386001.jpg (27.46 KB, 300x226 - viewed 73 times.)
Major 2
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2016, 09:25:22 am »

Done

Conversion is complete , marked in yellow are the cut points

I added leather at contact points ....Saved $120  Smiley

* 3442760131221711.jpg (99.96 KB, 600x450 - viewed 85 times.)

* 3442760131221711-A .jpg (113.36 KB, 600x450 - viewed 90 times.)

* UZI Music case.jpg (196.3 KB, 660x315 - viewed 78 times.)
Charles Isaac
Grand Army of the Frontier
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2016, 12:03:55 pm »

Two AR 15s in this household

What Sir Hardtack, no C1?!? Cheesy

And what is this "platform" thing some of you speak? I remember this one guy merely called his weapon a "gun". DI went crazy and jacked him up!

PJ Hardtack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2016, 06:01:03 pm »

I'd love to own a C1, the rifle of my military service, but the rcmp (in it's all knowing wisdom) classified the C1 and all variants of the FN FAL as "prohibited". That means they can only be shot on a range approved for the discharge of "prohibited" firearms, not in the boonies.
They must also be transported to and from the range with trigger lock applied and in a lockable hard case. They can also only be sold to other holders of the correct licence which means when the last one dies, they revert to the Crown for disposal.

The government has turned over the onus of deciding what guns we can own under what conditions. To say that our once iconic rcmp is held in low regard is to understate it.

Charles Isaac
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2016, 09:16:46 pm »

Well, that's some terrible news. I had heard that the RCMP was like our ATF when it came to classifying weapons. Why the FAL types are prohibited is puzzling. What is their problem with the FAL? Who knows. I'd love to hear one of them try to explain that logically.

Major 2
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2016, 12:58:07 am »

And what is this "platform" thing some of you speak? I remember this one guy merely called his weapon a "gun". DI went crazy and jacked him up!

Webster's

Platform : structure or surface used for a particular purpose or to carry a usually specified kind of equipment....

Taking into account,  everybody and all of their brothers are making lowers, uppers , and there are about bazillion accessories internal & external parts , in at least 4 calibers.  5.56/223 , 300 Blackout & 7.62 & 22 Conversions.
It is the ultimate, kit or platform to build whatever ones heart desires...
PJ Hardtack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2016, 10:58:43 am »

The FAL can be converted to FA by replacing the change lever to the 3 position switch. There is also a 3 shot burst escapement for the type. That puts it on the no-no list.

When it comes to excessive behaviour, the ATF has nothing on the rcmp. A couple of years ago, southern Alberta was hit with a catastrophic flood, inundating communities like High River. The town was ordered to evacuate. The local rcmp detachment was sent away and other members were brought in.
With Canadian Army boats and operators, the rcmp began kicking in doors, searching for and seizing all the guns and ammo they could find. Other Army elements were patrolling the streets in LAVs, keeping the residents out. When it became known what was happening, the Army pulled out, thereby saving their honour.

The matter is still under investigation, but to date, no one has been found guilty of anything. When the waters went down the drain, so did the last vestige of respect Canadians had for the rcmp.

Well, that's some terrible news. I had heard that the RCMP was like our ATF when it came to classifying weapons. Why the FAL types are prohibited is puzzling. What is their problem with the FAL? Who knows. I'd love to hear one of them try to explain that logically.

Charles Isaac
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2016, 04:07:36 pm »

Webster's

It is the ultimate, kit or platform to build whatever ones heart desires...

I think that is some of the most beautiful praise I have ever read about about Gene's rifle!

Charles Isaac
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2016, 04:12:06 pm »

And remember, your AR was invented by a United States Marine!!!!

Ooo Rah!
PJ Hardtack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2016, 04:12:39 pm »

.... and why the AR 15 is "America's Rifle"! Now the trick is for all of us to hang onto them while those who would be King decry them as instruments of the devil while they enjoy 24/7 armed protection at tax payer's expense.

The rcmp recently acquired more AR 15's, described as "patrol carbines". In civilian hands they become "assault rifles".

PJ Hardtack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2016, 04:14:00 pm »

"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine."

And remember, your AR was invented by a United States Marine!!!!

Ooo Rah!

Charles Isaac
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2016, 04:36:06 pm »

The FAL can be converted to FA by replacing the change lever to the 3 position switch. There is also a 3 shot burst escapement for the type. That puts it on the no-no list.

Well yes Sir,-if it's got a safety sear. What about a non sear cut receiver? That's what it takes for them to be legal without a licence in the US.

I have both a Commonwealth/inch version as well as a metric.  I'd have a Canadian version but the Canadian Govt permanently took care of most of those wonderful Long Branch C1s, so the parts are prohibitively expensive when you find them.  I feel badly for you not to own your service weapon. I still have a few kits to build some more metrics and if I still have them and you ever become a US citizen, look me up and I'll you just go ahead and give you one.

Here's my Inch Pattern up in the New England mountains. It's a British 1958 Enfield that I built it on a US made non sear cut upper receiver.

Major 2
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2016, 05:03:28 pm »

I think that is some of the most beautiful praise I have ever read about about Gene's rifle!

actually thanks , the line was coined by me..... and I agree about Stoner
PJ Hardtack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2016, 06:02:20 pm »

Ah, yes, the SLR (Self Loading Rifle) as my Brit buddies called theirs. Minus the clip loading slots ours had but with those ugly cross-hatched bolt carriers.
My ex was once a registrar of firearms for the rcmp. When she got the job, I gave her the current issue of "Small Arms of the World" and she actually used it! A pair of rcmp types were lamenting that a couplke of drug dealers managed to ditch their dope before they stopped their vehicle, but they did find some gun parts they couldn't identify.

She opened up her SAOTW and showed them what they were - the three rd burst units for the FAL! She got an "Atta Girl" from them and charges were laid.

Here's my Inch Pattern up in the New England mountains. It's a British 1958 Enfield that I built it on a US made non sear cut upper receiver.

Charles Isaac
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2016, 07:58:35 pm »

Yes, those English have some good ones. When they spoke of the SLR to me in the years after it's demise, some of them would get a tear in their eye-they obviously really loved that rifle! I never had the heart to tell them I had one, seeing how, unlike Canada and the US, they basically can't even own guns in England.

Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2016, 08:04:10 pm »

Howdy
Who's getting an AR for Christmas ? Poor Santa is going to have a sled full of AR's . Merry Christmas everyone .
PJ Hardtack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2016, 04:51:56 pm »

My wife and I already have ours (S&W 'Sport' models - no FA and no ejection port cover), plus CMMG .22 LR conversion units. I really recommend these as they offer great plinking and small game hunting versatility.

However, you have to use quality ammo and clean well afterwards. The locking lug area gets rather filthy after a few hundred rds. CCI offers .22 ammo rated for "AR 15 type rifles". Bought some but haven't tried it yet.

At our last IDPA practice of the year on Friday, we had a 9mm Kel-Tec and an AR 9mm show up. Great fun on our heated indoor range!

First practice next year I'll show up with my AR 15 c/w .22 conversion unit and red dot sight. I'm sure everyone will have fun with it.

Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2016, 10:06:29 pm »

PJ
Sounds like Santa came early . The 22 conversions sounds like lots of Fun . I had a 22 conversion for a gold cup sure was fun to shoot and those 22 were a lot easier on the wallett than the 45 acp .
PJ Hardtack
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2016, 02:30:30 pm »

We've had both the AR15s and the conversion units for a while now. Cheaper way to just have fun with them, especially indoors where we can't shoot 5.56mm.

For  a combo Xmas/anniversary present, I just bought myself a S&W M19 2-1/2" snubby. If you can believe it, my wife forgot our anniversary! I'm soooo glad it wasn't the reverse. I bought her a 'Muddy Girl' hoody to go along with all her other 'Muddy Girl' stuff, including her black Corolla seats covers and AR15.

She had already bought herself a $4000 sewing machine (cleared out at a mere $2400), so that took care of her anniversary and Xmas presents in one fell swoop.

The snubby M19 is a companion piece for the S&W M66 2-1/2" I already have. The ideal CCW, IMHO. If I could legally pack a gun, this would be my first choice.

On this side of the DMZ, if you didn't own a handgun with a 4" or shorter barrel before 1995, you never will. They are now "prohibited", not "restricted" like handguns with 4.2" barrels or longer. Makes the world a safer place, right?

Those of us who did are "grandfathered" and can only buy and sell amongst ourselves. About 250,000 of us left.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Longbranch (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Silver Creek Slim, Camille Eonich)  |  Topic: AR Platforms not exactly Old West But « previous next »
Jump to: