Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2017, 08:47:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Longbranch (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Silver Creek Slim, Camille Eonich)  |  Topic: AR Platforms not exactly Old West But 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: AR Platforms not exactly Old West But  (Read 9206 times)
Major 2
"Still running against the wind"
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« on: September 28, 2016, 06:50:12 pm »

I would like your opinions...

I've never owned an AR ....I know almost everybody and their brother make one, it seems....

Eugene Stoner's classic .... and I've finally been lured into a lust for one, and it might well be best to get one now or at least soon.

So I'd ask for advise

I Would want a M4 with a Chrome line barrel....  5.56×45mm ....what are your likes , what manufactures ,  I'd be in $ 8-900 range.
what are your thoughts as the best bang for my buck.
Abilene
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 07:33:30 pm »

I don't have one and don't know diddly squat about 'em (though like you, would like to have one someday "because I can").

But yes, get it now.  If Hillary wins  Cry or even is ahead in the polls as we get closer to election, they will likely be hard to find and expensive as has happened several times before.

pony express
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 09:09:03 pm »

The only ones I ever had any experience with were "on loan" from Uncle Sam. M16A-1, skinny barrel, slow twist rifling, triangle handguard, permanent mounted "handle" on top, no picatinny rails.. If I was to get one, it'd look like that, just no selective fire.
Good Troy
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

GAF Grand Muster 2017

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 05:45:14 am »

I have a Rock River Arms with a fast-twist, SS, 20" match-grade barrel.  I bought it for getting into the NRA mid-range competition in military class, but haven't made time to compete.  Solid rifle, and accurate.

I've had a notion to get a carbine.  The Ruger models have my vote...around $700 OTD with flip up site, and ready to shoot.

Good Troy
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638
pistol1911
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 05:52:40 am »

I have two, a Colt and an Olympic Arms. The new Colt M4 at $749 would be worth looking at as well as a Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Bushmaster etc. All excellent rifles.
Tornado
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 07:42:38 am »

The best way to get exactly what you want, is to build one.  They require minimum skills and tools to build.  I am about finished with my first build.  I have found a major downside to building your own though, everytime I research the next part I always say to my self "This part will work just fine, but the next best one only cost a few dollars more". Therefore, this AR I am building now, cost way more than I originally budgeted for!  Wink
Major 2
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 05:43:03 am »

...... (though like you, would like to have one someday "because I can").

But yes, get it now.  If Hillary wins  Cry or even is ahead in the polls as we get closer to election, they will likely be hard to find and expensive as has happened several times before.

I deleted the "don't know diddly squat" portion of your quote ...because I have learned a lot thanks to reading ...a lot more will be read and I'm sure a lot more learning...  Cheesy

But owning one " because I can "  rings VERY true and if the Harlequin gets the nod .... I suspect " I can't " at lease afford the supply & demand as in 2008....and back in 92 with slick willy...lower case intended 

So the trigger has been pulled as the saying goes....

I own one now ...thanks for your impute.  Smiley   
Mike
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 01:25:17 pm »

There is a ColtNRA match and two Bushmasters in the safe, I was not a fan of the AR but have shot them and am impressed how accurate they are.

If you want a modern fiream these day the modular platform is the future. Buy a lower with good trigger group and uppers in different calibres.

I still like my lever guns better Grin Grin

Buffalochip
Major 2
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 02:06:15 pm »

I have plethora of levers...and I agree

but had to get one of these black things ....cause there are those who would say I can't have one
...yet are sounded by scores of bodyguards with them !
Good Troy
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

GAF Grand Muster 2017

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 02:09:14 pm »

I consider a lever action the first AR!

Good Troy
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638
Mike
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 02:21:49 pm »

Grin I would agree.

Buffalochip
Major 2
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 02:22:55 pm »

In 1993 another clinton, signed the brady bill   ( lower case intended )  that bill had the far reaching authority to BAN
Magazines that held more that 10 rounds ...that's magazines , not just detachable magazines.

Gone with stroke of his pin, Henry's and any 24 inch Lever that held more than 10 rounds ..."Oh!"  they said "we didn't mean to include those"  Roll Eyes  took 7 years to correct that little faux pas.  
Coal Creek Griff
Top Active Citizen

With Cheyenne Luke

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 02:29:35 pm »

I bought mine a number of years ago when a state senator was running on a "ban them all" campaign.  She was elected, but was unable to ban anything.  In the meantime, though, there was a local run on ARs and mine was one of them.  To me, they are a tool I use at work and about as interesting as the hammers and screwdrivers in my toolbox.  19th Century guns are great fun, though.  My poor AR sits in the safe surrounded by much older designs...

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573
Good Troy
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

GAF Grand Muster 2017

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 02:41:10 pm »

Last Christmas, I bought a RRA AR with match grade SS bull bbl.  I intended to use it to compete in NRA miilitary class mid-range.  I've fired less than 500 rounds through it, and never competed in an NRA match with it.  It is fun to shoot, but I just don't, as I spend all my time shooting my C&B's, lever actions, trapdoor, SxS, and SAA copies. 

My (favorite) wife reminded me of the AR when I was trying to make a case to by a Henry 1860, made by HRA.   She said it will be a $2000 "toy" that sets in the safe with the AR you bought.  My come back was that the AR was for a game I didn't "play", and the Henry would be for CAS...which I already "play"...I still didn't have a Henry....yet...

Good Troy
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638
Mike
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 04:06:47 pm »

There are toys which you play with and toys you have which might be played with. I am quite happy to put 70-80 rounds through my lever guns but hate loading two 30 round mags  Huh

Buffalochip
DeaconKC
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 04:38:15 pm »

I'm starting on my 4th build of an AR right now. I have assembled all of mine except my first which was a Bushmaster. If you can detail strip a 1911, you can build an AR.

Yup, I'm that DeaconKC from Surplus Rifle
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
Tornado
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2016, 09:31:32 am »

Even more fun, is a pistol caliber AR:

Major 2
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2016, 04:34:01 pm »

I bought it because the Hectoring Harridan ....
wants to over turn the 2nd Amendment make it her "special legacy" as the  Supreme Court appointing overlord ....

She wants to walk in bill's shoe's,  to wear bill's pants , and wants to strap on the" BALLS "..." bill"s Balls" that he can't keep in a pair of pants !

Rowdy Fulcher
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2016, 07:44:21 pm »

Howdy
AR's are fine weapons . My first intrduction to the AR was at Ft. Benning Ga. Then 20 + years later I purchased a m4 and enjoy shooting it .
Major 2
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2016, 10:38:48 pm »

I'm glad I bought it....

* My AR.jpg (152.04 KB, 954x413 - viewed 100 times.)
Professor Marvel
purveyor of useless items to the gentry
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

life is too short to waste on stupid

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2016, 12:23:09 am »

I'm glad I bought it....
noe go grab a few dozen magazines whilst they are affordable
yhs
prf mvl

Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Coal Creek Griff
Top Active Citizen

With Cheyenne Luke

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2016, 12:29:19 am »

So what brand did you end up with and why?  (I don't think I missed it.)

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573
Major 2
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2016, 04:24:25 am »

several brands make it up

Anderson Rifle with RF85
 Nano Tech  
 Timney Trigger Group
  Magpul  Furniture , Sights,  Etc.

+  30 rd. , Hexmag -  ( 3 )   so far Prof. Marvel

a Bushnell AR Optics TRS-25 is in it future.
Bunk Stagnerg
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2016, 11:47:23 am »

An AR is easy to assemble and really only take a couple of special tools to do a complete build. Really needed, unless you buy a completed upper, is the tool to hold the upper when installing a barrel, an armorers wrench, and a torque wrench.
 If you buy a completed upper ordinary work shop tools will be enough.
I have made 3 builds on Essential Arms lowers and it is easy to do. The AR forum has a lot of information on building.
It is certainly not a “cowboy” gun but is fun to shoot, and can be deadly accurate to 300 yards or more.
The only caveat is buy good parts from a reputable dealer, not gun show junk.
Yr’ Obt’ Svt’
Bunk
Major 2
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2016, 06:07:10 pm »

My next project is to convert this into a surreptitious carrier.  It will be a tinkerers project.

I got this on Goodwill.com for $15.10

I have a NcSTAR Inc. Vism Carbine Gun Case, and it reads "GUN "
OK for the range  .... But it can raise eyebrows, even suspicions so .... a retro & handy idea for my project.  

* 3442760131221711.jpg (51.83 KB, 600x450 - viewed 81 times.)

* cvt2907-40.jpg (71.02 KB, 400x400 - viewed 71 times.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Longbranch (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Silver Creek Slim, Camille Eonich)  |  Topic: AR Platforms not exactly Old West But « previous next »
Jump to: