Author Topic: SxS Shotshell Help - Don't extract smoothly  (Read 10442 times)

Offline HolliferADollar

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: SxS Shotshell Help - Don't extract smoothly
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2016, 07:54:05 AM »
Get one of the UniqueTek shell checkers.  If the shell drops into & out of the checker smoothly, there is a 99% chance it will drop into & out of the shotgun's chambers too.

I loaded BP shells on a Lee Load All 2 for a couple of years, then bought a used MEC Grabber.  The seller included a shell checker as part of the deal.  Just for curiosity's sake, I pulled out a couple of boxes of shells loaded on the Load All - not one of them would fit in the checker.  NONE!  The body of the shell would go in, but the shell would catch at the edge of the brass base.  Didn't matter which brand of hull either.  Shells made in the MEC drop in all the way & drop out like nobody's business.  Bottom line, the sizer on the Load All just didn't do the job on the base of the hull.

I now have a shell checker on my gun cart as well, I check a few as I put them in my shotgun belt just to be sure the crimp hasn't relaxed.  For some reason, Federal hulls tend to have that problem for some reason.

Holler
Panhandle Cattle Company
Big Bend Bushwhackers
Panhandle Cowboys
SASS #91847
1860 Henry roster #151

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2016, 09:56:40 AM »

I use a Baikal shotgun, almost stock condition, and I found that shorter, rollcrimped hulls work for me.
Bought a roll crimper and a very cheap table top drill and I use a "shellholder" from a old handtool.

https://goo.gl/photos/pLndHc3AzEMFyFdY7

BTW that is 70 grains of BP and 1 ounce shot
Hulls are shortened to 60 mm ( where the faults begin)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPtmFMvnvcI&index=14&list=FLe70gWjVKmRpZB-QqUCBLBg

They are eager to leave.....

My Baikal (TOZ66) shucked any remington hull without modification. it is still a bugger to cock.

60mm is 2 3/8", and that, roll crimped, is what I found worked for a full mag of 6 rounds in a Win '97 for Wild Bunch. Split-neck Win. AAs cut down roll crimped quite well.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2016, 11:16:25 AM »
F E Henry

UBER KOOL!!

Coffinmaker

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:37:47 AM »

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2016, 11:38:40 AM »
One alternative to the MEC Supersizer...

If you look on ebay, you can often find the old 12 gauge RCBS 12 gauge shotgun dies.  I'm not talking about the version they sell now, but the version they used to sell that was made for reloading plastic and paper hulls.

You can deprime, resize, reprime with it.   If you are doing BP and cardboard/fiber wads, the rest of the operations can be done with a wooden dowel. Crimping with a roll crimp can be done on a drill press or even a hand drill.

The die will resize the hull bases nicely.   The only drawback is that you will need a Rockchucker or a Lee Cast Classic to hold them as they wont fit in a standard 7/8" reloading press.

I think the Supersizer goes down a little bit further towards the rim on the hull, but I am just throwing the RCBS dies out as another option.   If your extractors are at least pulling the hulls out a bit when you break open the gun, it probably doesn't matter if the hulls are sized down as far as possible.

I havn't tried the RCBS "BRASS HULL COWBOY DIE" on a plastic hull,. it might work too, but it wont reprime for you (different primer sizes). I have both sets, so I never had a reason to try to use one for the other.

Offline Cemetery

• Top Active Citizen
    • Cemetery's Gun Blob
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2016, 12:12:45 PM »
A couple of suggestion;

1. Use a different hull. I found the best-shuckin' hulls were from Remington. NITRO 27 are gold coloured and look neat.

2.  Use a collet resizer. Mine is from MEC but may be discontinued, so try fleabay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=reloadin+MEC+collet+sizer&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xreloading+MEC+super+sizer.TRS0&_nkw=reloading+MEC+super+sizer&_sacat=0

BTW Coffinmaker; Do you weave to or from the reloading table? ;)

Ballistic Products had the MEC resizer new for $113, those used ebay pieces aren't priced very competitively.....
God forgives, I don't........

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2016, 04:21:06 PM »
Ballistic Products had the MEC resizer new for $113, those used ebay pieces aren't priced very competitively.....

Cemetary; You oviously know how fleabay operates. :)
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2016, 06:48:20 PM »
Cemetery,

When I were weaving (searching) my way to an inexpensive press on which to mount my brandy new RCBS die for Brass Hulls, I of course first sought the forgiving prices on fleaBay.  I soon found, eBay as it twer held no forgiving prices.  So I shopped around till I found a very good price for a Lee Classic.  Have found FleaBay ain't yer friend.

Don't pass up the Big Box on line places either.  I shopped ALL the suppliers for shooters products.  Found my press on sale.  I don't actually remember who I got it from.  Sale price and free shipping.  Shazam!!

Coffinmaker

Offline rdstrain49

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2016, 08:14:09 AM »
Stock TTN, Mec 9000, BP, AA hulls, AA wads = never a stuck shell, even shot an entire match without wiping the champers and still no hangups.  The 9000 resizes on the first station then on the last station sizes the loaded shell.

Offline Cemetery

• Top Active Citizen
    • Cemetery's Gun Blob
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2016, 09:21:49 PM »
I've noticed some good prices on the MEC 600 jr on ebay.

Is the resizing die on this press as good as the Supersizer anybody know?

Offline Cemetery

• Top Active Citizen
    • Cemetery's Gun Blob
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2016, 08:58:09 AM »
Ended up getting a MEC Resizier unit from ebay for $70 shipped, so far resizes much better, I'll be testing reloads soon enough.

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2016, 12:33:57 PM »

Personally I use range pick up plastic, trim them to the same internal length, resize, de-prime and seat new primers on a MEC “Grabber” press.

My load is a “square” one with 4c/c FFg gun powder, a card OP wad, ½” fiber wad, 4 c/c shot (usually #9) over shot wad and a tight roll crimp.

The cases fall out with ease, but I found if I did not resize the base on the MEC some would stick in the chamber and needed to be pulled out by hand.
The targets go down with authority and the smoke and flames are magnificent. I refer to this load as my “gamer” load.

I load the cases once and then discard them. Paper cases will last two or three re-loadings, but the plastic one are not worth the trouble to reload.

That is my method, but YMMV

Yr’ Obt’ Svt’
Bunk

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2016, 03:52:01 PM »
Lefty Dude and I keep explaining EVERYONE ....... All Brass 12Ga is the ultimate solution.  Even if they don't just "drop out" they just look sooooooo KOOL when yer shootin, ya just don't mind!!!!  8)

Coffinmaker

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2016, 05:38:48 PM »
Brass cases are way cool, and I do have a bunch of Winchester old GI cases which are brittle with age.
i guess i am too frugal to re tool everything and use NEW ($$$)  brass cases.
Beside the calf market just went down the dumpster so new anything will have to wait (except the fluted third model Dragoon)  funds for that project have been allocated.
Bunk

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2016, 09:06:42 PM »
I've never had a paper case loaded w/BP ever just drop out. The paper walls swell and I have to pull them out. If I use paper I save them for the last two shots of the stage so I can extract them off the clock.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Blue Wolf

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2016, 07:29:06 PM »
I found cutting off crimp and using overshot card. This works for me plus making sure hulls have not melted from previous use.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com