Author Topic: Wad for BP Shotgun Loads  (Read 12629 times)

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Wad for BP Shotgun Loads
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2016, 02:17:59 PM »
Pick up the used Federal hulls, They roll easier than anything else.

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2016, 04:28:06 PM »
I'm thinkn' that the Federal hulls are Reifenhauser tubes.  Much like Chedite and others.  Yes, they do roll crimp very well.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Cemetery

• Top Active Citizen
    • Cemetery's Gun Blob
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2016, 10:20:58 PM »
I shoot 51 rs of FFg and an ounce of shot in plastic hulls with a pink wad.  Claybuster CB1100-12.  Makes a nice crimp in STS and Nitro Gold hulls.

Just got me a bag of these wads, and using 51g of black and AA or STS hulls, I can't compress everything so that when I go to crimp it, I don't have shot spilling out......any idea what I'm doing wrong?  First time using plastic hulls.  Lee Load All is my machine.
God forgives, I don't........

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 10:42:41 PM »

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2016, 06:12:49 AM »
Boy, I dunno.   That load crimps well and holds that crimp for me. I use an antique MEC Versamec.  I do compress the wad a bit but not excessively.
I have found using other loading that a square piece of very light card stock dropped on the shot before crimping helps to form a nice crimp.

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2016, 12:58:14 AM »
As for crimping - roll or star - I've found a little lube of Johnsons Paste Wax applied to the crimp area helps create a better looking crimp.

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2016, 12:58:36 PM »
I shoot 51 rs of FFg and an ounce of shot in plastic hulls with a pink wad.  Claybuster CB1100-12.  Makes a nice crimp in STS and Nitro Gold hulls.
Howdy Two-Bits,  I shoot a load simular to Noz wtih the Pink wad. Again as others have said the Win WAA 12R (CB 1138-12) is good for about 60-65gr and 1 1/8oz shot. I prefer to use a little less BP and have found several wads that fit all my needs. Besides the Win Pink wad there are several short shell wads from BPI that really work well.

1 1/8oz - 54-57gr ffg with BPI short wad #72SSW..........my favorite for big matches ;)
Short Shell #72SSW
1oz - 48-50gr ffg with BPI Helix Driver #18.......another big match fav
Helix #18
7/8oz - 43-45gr ffg with Win Pink wad AA12SL (CB1100-12).......my local fav ;D
WAA12SSL
7/8oz - 45-47gr ffg with BPI Helix Driver #21......works good with the new two piece AA hulls
Helix #21

The reason I'm a few grains less than Noz is due to Win changing thier AA wads to 2 piece. Even with 45lbs of wad pressure I still get a slight ring around most of the AA wads, they still shuck fine. I prefer to use the Rem STS way over the new AAs, no rings no crunching. I can usually get 4 smokeless reloads from the STS before they spend thier final match with BP, the AAs are only good for one round. I used to be able to setup both machines to run the AA with just a tiny hole, and the STS looking like a factory round. Now for a happy medium the AA has a small hole almost big enough for a #9 BB to fall out , with the STS being a slight over crimp. Hope this helps....Good Luck

Jefro :D  Relax-Enjoy

sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline Noz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2016, 10:07:36 AM »
I buy once fired hulls. I prefer STS Nitro Golds.
A question was asked on one of the forums I frequent about how many times can you reload a hull using black powder.
I didn't know. I continue to reload hulls until the outside of the hull show burns or the crimp area begins to show pin holes.
I started  marking my hulls with a sharpie mark each time I reload them. Now take into account that these hulls were loaded at least once before I got them.
Some of my hulls have 6 marks on them and are going back into the loading bin for another go round.

Offline Springfield Slim

• Top Active Citizen
    • Whyte Leatherworks
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2016, 11:51:34 AM »
Use a spiral Tornado brush and all the plastic snot pushes right out instead of being shredded like with a brass brush.  was lucky and found a guy on Craig's list who was moving. He gave me about 6,000 once fired hulls. So I load them once and pitch 'em. I could load them again but they get a bit burnt and don't shuck as easy.
Full time Mr. Mom and part time leatherworker and bullet caster

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2016, 09:59:29 PM »
I buy once fired hulls. I prefer STS Nitro Golds.
I started  marking my hulls with a sharpie mark each time I reload them. Now take into account that these hulls were loaded at least once before I got them.
Some of my hulls have 6 marks on them and are going back into the loading bin for another go round.
Howdy Noz, I do almost the exact same thing. I put a small X on the base after each reload, save them in different clear bags. After three or four Xs they go to the 97 bag for Wild Bunch, then a big RED X when they make it to BP ;D

Jefro :D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2016, 11:37:39 PM »
Some years ago I too marked my gold STS to see how many reloads, and it was around 6.  Even when burnt on the outside, they still shuck fine in my guns.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com