Author Topic: Loaded rifles recovered after Gettysburg  (Read 5113 times)

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
Loaded rifles recovered after Gettysburg
« on: August 30, 2016, 08:50:09 PM »
Not really news, but some interesting discussion;

http://www.thevintagenews.com/2016/08/30/guns-gettysburg-found-loaded/
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: Loaded rifles recovered after Gettysburg
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 08:40:54 AM »
That's not the only instance of that occurring. It is a rather common occurance among untrained or inexperienced soldiers and sometimes with the battle weary soldiers. Still a very interesting read and those numbers are high statistically speaking.
Thank You for posting that.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 12:32:22 PM »
I would think that the recovered rifles were from both sides of the conflict. There were a number of areas such as the Wheatfield
and Devils Den that Union troops fought in and could have lost their muskets.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:27:21 PM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 420
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 01:17:02 PM »
From time to time I've mentioned Mr. Dent  Dent's Department Store in Hialeah, Florida.

I bring it up again , because he had the Finest private collection of Civil War weaponry, I ever saw in private hands.

Got visit with him several time and he'd , give us a tour of his vault like Garage gun room ...floor to ceiling and center 2 sided racks

He had many Springfield's every one of the Contract gun.... several more BF pickups most were still loaded

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline griffith

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 08:12:17 AM »
     I used to own a model 1842 musket that had been picked up from 2nd Manassas battlefield. It still had a 2 ring Confederate Gardner minie ball in it.

The gun was found in 1866 during the dedication of the 5th New York Regiment monument and then hung in their armory until the 1950's or 60's. When the armory was closed, it was sold to a private owner. I became the next owner. Looking back, I'm sorry I sold it.

Griffith

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 02:06:03 PM »
There is an even more likely possibility.  For some, a fire fight is pure terror and panic.  It would not be beyond reason, a panic'd troop standing there, after firing his first round and reloading.  Then, in the chaos and panic of the fire fight, loading again, even if he hadn't fired another round.

I was involved in two incidents during fire fights.  In one, at the scene of an armed robbery, I and my partner cornered the thieves and a gun fight ensued.  After the gun fight was over, I heard clicking from my right.  My partner was standing there, still snapping on empty chambers.  Had never reloaded.  In the second, my partner had found cover.  After the fight was over, I found him standing in a small alcove, gun in hand, gun raised in front of him.  Never fired a round.  Totally panicked.  I never rode with either of those two again.  They also didn't last long in the police business.

Coffinmaker

Offline griffith

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2017, 03:19:48 PM »
     I read a long time ago that most of the loaded guns found at Gettysburg had been loaded with the bullet first and the powder on top of it. Some of them had two or three loads in them. In the confusion of battle the soldiers didn't realize that their weapon hadn't fired.

Griffith

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com