Author Topic: Have You Fired These Hulls?  (Read 2720 times)

Offline paledun

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Have You Fired These Hulls?
« on: August 23, 2016, 08:40:53 PM »
I purchased a box at a local auction which included 25 12 gauge hulls which were much like Magtech brass shells.  They were made or sold by Alcan.  The body appears to be made of tin and is non-magnetic but not brass.  The base is brass and says "Alcan Incorporated 12 made in USA".  Primer is a 209.  These are intended for smokeless per the loading diagrams on the box.  No balloon head at the primer.  They measure 2.4 inches in overall length.  I found a few for sale on GunBroker and a some information on Google including a wire conversation on the SASS Wire from 2013.  Anyone ever attempt to reload them with BP?  Sagerider 

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Have You Fired These Hulls?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 07:03:18 PM »
Pictures?

Do they look like these?

Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 08:16:25 PM »
Are you sure they use a 209 primer or does it just look that way?  Some Alcans (I have a bunch of brass ones) take a primer that looks like a 209 but is slightly smaller.  A 209 is too big.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:54:57 AM »

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 08:51:06 PM »
once upon a time long ago Winchester and Remington used different size primers. I can't remember the Remington primer number but the two were different. Remington finally started using the "Winchester" size primer and I threw away all the old Remington hulls.
Now S&B use a slightly smaller large pistol primer pocket in the .45 ACP empties that I don't pick up any more along with GI crimped .45ACP empties.
Reloading is frustrating enough with our purposefully making things more difficult.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 09:16:08 PM »
Bring them South, Reeves. I gotta see em.

Offline paledun

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 08:51:48 AM »
To answer some questions, the box says, "Use only Alcan 209 Max-fire primers".  How they will interchange with current 209's is unknown.  Dude, will be returning in late October and will bring them for inspection.  Additional reading says the hulls are aluminum with possibly a tin surface.  Some have been shot and have developed small cracks at the mouth of the sell.  A few appear to have been crimped and have developed additional cracks.  Very tight fit in the chambers of my Sterlingworth from expansion.  I don't think these are a practical substitute for brass Magtechs.  Dude, save me a spot at Cowtown for November.  Sagerider

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com