Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2017, 02:10:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  BROW (Moderator: Delmonico)  |  Topic: 1000 meter buffalo 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1000 meter buffalo  (Read 1061 times)
Gabriel Law
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« on: August 08, 2016, 05:58:11 pm »

Above is a picture taken earlier today at our Rod and Gun Club's 1200 yard range.  This buffalo target is brand new.  A crew of us installed in on the weekend last.  It is AR 500 x 1/2" thick steel, and is 8' x 4'.  It weighs about  650 pounds!  So mine are the first shots on the target.  It took a while to find the range, having never shot that far before, and there being so much vegetation hiding bullet strikes.  But eventually I got some hits in the loose soil underneath the target, and dialed it in.  I hit it four times out of six once I found the range.  The buffalo sits at 1000 meters which is about 1100 yards.
The rifle is my Shiloh Sharps with a Harry McGowan business barrel @ 28 inches long, and in 50 Alaskan calibre.  I load a BACo 600 grain 30:1 (lead/tin) bullet lubed with SPG over 90 grains of 1 1/2 Swiss Black Powder.  Front and rear sights are from Montana Vintage Arms.  Check out how high up the staff that aperture is!  What joy!
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 07:28:09 pm »

THAT right there is ....... some real nice shooting.  I don't even think I could SEE 1000 meters any more.  Maybe in brail  Roll Eyes

Coffinmaker
Hargrave
" Prairie Smoke" Jake
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 10:35:39 pm »

Very nice .... the buffalo ... the shooting .... and the legs !

I wish the range I belong to had that sort of distance ... 200 yards is a far as we go .... but a buffalo cut out is sounding kind of a good idea ... might have to look into having one made !

"Prairie Smoke" Jake
Houston, TX
In matters of style, swim with the current;
In matters of principle, stand like a rock.
(Thomas Jefferson)
Sir Charles deMouton-Black
THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 10:59:59 am »

You finally got the range working. I went out there with Sheldon almost 10 years ago to look around. Cool Cool

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  BROW (Moderator: Delmonico)  |  Topic: 1000 meter buffalo « previous next »
Jump to: