Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 10:58:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Cosie's Corner & Feed Bag (Moderator: Delmonico)  |  Topic: A few questions about hardtack 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A few questions about hardtack  (Read 3809 times)
SimmerinLightning
Very Active Citizen

« on: August 06, 2016, 03:22:06 pm »

Here is the issue: I really like MRE crackers but no longer have a free supply. There are places that sell them in bulk but they are too expensive. I have often wondered, having never eaten hardtack, whether it would be similar in flavor. Can anyone here answer that question?
  The next question is, everything I can find on the subject indicates it is called HARDtack for a reason. Are there any recipes that produce a more easily chewable product? I don't care if the shelf life is reduced, as long as it will keep for a couple of weeks or so.
Coal Creek Griff
Top Active Citizen

With Cheyenne Luke

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 04:01:13 pm »

I make a version I call "soft tack" by simply not baking/drying it as long.  It's still pretty hard, but less likely to break teeth.  I've made it with various recipes, but mostly with flour a little salt and water.  I'll leave the MRE cracker question to others.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573
SimmerinLightning
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 04:08:36 pm »

I make a version I call "soft tack" by simply not baking/drying it as long.  It's still pretty hard, but less likely to break teeth.  I've made it with various recipes, but mostly with flour a little salt and water.  I'll leave the MRE cracker question to others.

CC Griff
I think I will just give that a try. Worst case scenario I will be out a few cents' worth of flour and a bit of time. Thanks for the response. I will let you know how it turns out.
pony express
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 06:01:16 am »

Never got to try the MRE crackers, still had crackers in a can when I left the service. But those were kind of like a saltine, but more dense, not flaky.
Oregon Bill
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 09:40:59 am »

I had a recipe for hardtack once that made a really desirable product, but lost it. All the recipes I have tried since -- and there are a bunch out there claiming to be the Civil War pure quill -- were somewhat disappointing.
Maybe Delmonico will weigh in here.
SimmerinLightning
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 04:56:18 pm »

I had a recipe for hardtack once that made a really desirable product, but lost it. All the recipes I have tried since -- and there are a bunch out there claiming to be the Civil War pure quill -- were somewhat disappointing.
Maybe Delmonico will weigh in here.
I have seen dozens of "different" recipes online, but they all include the same ingredients- flour, water, and sometimes salt- just in varying proportions.
Still haven't gotten around to making any.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Cosie's Corner & Feed Bag (Moderator: Delmonico)  |  Topic: A few questions about hardtack « previous next »
Jump to: