Author Topic: National Cavalry Competition 2016  (Read 3123 times)

Offline S. Quentin Quale, Esq.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
National Cavalry Competition 2016
« on: July 27, 2016, 02:04:28 PM »
The National Cavalry Competition will be held from 20-25 September 2016 at Historic Fort Reno in El Reno, OK, about 30 west of Oklahoma City along Historic Route 66.

The major events are:

Military Horsemanship (a '30s era dressage test designed to measure rider competence and horse training level).

Military Field Jumping (designed to measure rider and horse ability over fences).

Mounted Pistol (a course that measures rider skill with a .45cal. Single action revolver over a course that includes jumps).

Mounted Saber (a course that measures rider skill with a blade over a course that includes jumps).

Combat Horsemanship (a course that combines mounted skill and equine control using carbine, pistol, and saber).

In addition there are Wheeled Horse events with teams using conveyances (ambulances, supply wagons, etc.) and artillery equipment (limbers, caissons, and guns). Units give individual demonstrations. There are Bugle and Authenticity events. In short, lots to see for all!

This year we will also be visited by a convoy of restored WWII vehicles on Wed., a vintage war bird flyover on Sat., as well as an Armed Forces Appreciation Day on Sat.

The parties and grub are also pretty good!!!

For further information see www.uscavalry.org/events/current-events.html

SQQ

1961MJS

Re: National Cavalry Competition 2016
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 04:09:47 PM »
Hi

I plan to go watch, seems interesting and is close to Norman.

Later

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 07:48:48 PM »
AFAIK I'm the only Navy CDR around; come by and say "hello"!!!   :)

SQQ

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:59:25 AM »

1961MJS

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 11:16:08 PM »
Hi Commander

If I get to go, I'll look for you.

Later

1961MJS

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 10:09:55 PM »
Hi again

I have a silver mist (light gray) cavalry hat with the four cornered shape like John Wayne wore in the Cavalry trilogy.  No hole in the top yet.

Later

1961MJS

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 10:49:11 PM »
Hi SQQ

I had a good time at the competition.  I found several people who knew who you and the wife were, but not WHERE you were.  I got a couple of old books they were selling at the library, but I had about half the ones out front in their store.  I didn't get any selfies, but here's the guy's I work with.  The second picture is of me, when I bought the hat I was wearing at NCC. 

I see that there is a competition at Fort Concho in April of next year.  I've wanted to go there also. 

Later

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 10:19:56 PM »
I'm sorry we didn't connect!

This year I was "pressed" to be the Event Director for the Major Howze Mobility Event.  That meant lots of time time "behind the scenes" putting stuff together.  Fortunately I had two outstanding guys working for me and the troopers from Ft. Hood did an excellent job keeping the targets set during the saber charges.  My wife, who's a way better mathematician than I am, helped me create a good scoring system.

If you didn't attend any of the parties you missed a good time, particularly the Punch Bowl Ceremony on Friday night.  If you come next year be sure and register (if you didn't this year).  It pains me to praise the Army, but they do a fine job all 'round in this!!!   :)

The Regional Event in San Angelo is a good time.  The Fort does an outstanding job in putting on the event and the parties are pretty good there, too.  I'm not sure I'll be going next year but will find out probably in February.

Looking forward to meeting you!!!

SQQ

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com