Author Topic: Crimping Hornaday 45/70 Brass  (Read 6378 times)

Offline Jubel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Crimping Hornaday 45/70 Brass
« on: July 23, 2016, 09:59:56 AM »
Everyone knows a single shot 45/70 does not always require a crimp. The lever action 45/70 in a 1895 Marlin or a Rio Grande or the 45/70 Big Boy does. Why because recoil could pull the bullet in the magazine tube or action. This happened to me. I was considering having my Lee 45/70 factory crimp die modified. Then I discovered the solution in the new Redding crimp die for Hornaday 45/70 cartridges. They are available at Mid Way USA and very reasonable in price. Safety first always in hand loading!
Cousin we been ashooten at each other all day! How about we stop for a beer then we kin go home and get our axes. Or just as good, lets forget this whole dang feud, I'm agetten too old for this anyhow!

Online Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
Re: Crimping Hornaday 45/70 Brass
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 05:21:25 PM »
While I understand the theory behind not crimping for rounds used in single-shot guns, I strongly recommend crimping, if at all possible, as well as insuring the bullet is tightly held by the case neck, especially with smokeless loadings! Both crimping and a tight neck interference help insure there is enough delay in shot-start to insure proper ignition of the powder. Failure to get good ignition can result in hangfires that can even result in overpressures if the bullet stops in the forcing cone or somewhere in the barrel. For jacketed Hornady bullets, I used to apply a new crimp groove using a knurling tool.  May not be necessary with cast bullets as a light crimp can be applied that will actually compress the bullet side sufficiently to hold the slug in place.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 09:19:06 PM »
If that's Reddings Taper Crimp Die, it ain't new because I have had one since 1995.

In fact I use a taper crimp for everything I crimp.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:01:21 PM »

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 02:56:52 AM »
Could be he's talking about crimping HORNADAY 45/70 brass. Could be a new die because Hornaday brass is shorter by quite a bit than regular 45/70 brass. wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 11:54:43 AM »
Could be he's talking about crimping HORNADAY 45/70 brass. Could be a new die because Hornaday brass is shorter by quite a bit than regular 45/70 brass. wM1

Well if won't crimp with the old Redding die I have it must be pretty dang short because it has a little ring on it to adjust it.   ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 06:32:44 PM »
OR maybe he was talking about a NEW die.  ::) wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 03:12:56 PM »
Well the old one would do 45-60 to 45-3 1/4 so the brass Hornady is making must be really short. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 08:26:46 PM »

That's only the lever evolution brass, their component brass measures 2.1 inches.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 02:49:57 AM »
Hey R13 how ya doin? Was out in yer neck of the woods month or so ago. Pawnee Station a few miles east of Ft. Collins. wM1

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 08:39:50 AM »
Doing good,just got home from the BPTR nationals last night.
My great nephew is the cook at Pawnee Station. Know that country well

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 10:08:36 AM »
That's only the lever evolution brass, their component brass measures 2.1 inches.

Good information and explains a lot.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 10:43:23 AM »
The component brass is also pretty heavy compared to WW and RP. I have a couple of bags of it, but haven't had a chance to put it thru the paces yet.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 01:13:16 PM »
Used a lot of their 243 brass, was a bit heavier also, but gave good life, been hearing their 22 Hornet brass tends to suffer some from off center flash holes.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 01:54:08 PM »
Have always liked their brass, never had any problems with it. Just need to get busy and see how this stuff works in the 45-70

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 02:30:45 PM »
Have always liked their brass, never had any problems with it. Just need to get busy and see how this stuff works in the 45-70

I'm in a Hornet group and it seems they had some QC problems with the Hornet that seems to be fixed no, saw a couple pictures where the decapping pins hit the edge.   I like there brass and being a semi-local product (90 miles away) it makes me happy to use their product.   
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 06:14:28 PM »
I used the Hornady 45/70 brass I had to make 38/56 brass it actually stretches a little when ya resize it. wM1

Offline Steel Striker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Weewahootee Vigilence Committee, FL
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2016, 01:05:42 PM »
Everyone knows a single shot 45/70 does not always require a crimp. The lever action 45/70 in a 1895 Marlin or a Rio Grande or the 45/70 Big Boy does. Why because recoil could pull the bullet in the magazine tube or action. This happened to me. I was considering having my Lee 45/70 factory crimp die modified. Then I discovered the solution in the new Redding crimp die for Hornaday 45/70 cartridges. They are available at Mid Way USA and very reasonable in price. Safety first always in hand loading!

After much discussion with Redding Rep, he realized I was loading Hardcast Lead!  He then promptly suggested I purchase the "RCBS Cowboy Action 3-die set".  The Redding crimp die was resizing my boolit in the process, which was the original crux of the matter.  The RCBC Cowboy die works beautifully, crimping my 461-405 pills.  Casting with CWW's + 2% Sn.   Now resizing to .460+ for better concentricity & a bit less case bulge for better chambering.

I'm using conventional W-W brass, 2.085"-2.10" in length.
New to CAS, SASS #100144.  Obtained: Marlin 1894CB; New Vaquero's in .45LC; Win 1897 12ga cut to 20".  Looking to pick old brains.  Designed/built my very own dbl. CAS rig.  Putting a Dillon 550B to good use for my .45-70, .45LC., .44Mag, .45ACP, .38  I alloy lead & cast my own. 

Tent repairs & ammo belts, a hobby Blacksmith, woodworker & Boy Scout Ldr. & Lead Scrounger.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com