Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2017, 05:01:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The American Plainsmen Society (Moderators: Caleb Hobbs, Tsalagidave)  |  Topic: Log cabin 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Log cabin  (Read 15093 times)
River City John
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Mr. & Mrs. John Covert

« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2017, 10:44:13 pm »

I've also read that good old clay mixed with straw, like adobe bricks, is the best. Using local clays sounds right to me.

In asking about the interior, I was wondering if after it's properly chinked, inside and out, whether you would whitewash the interior. I wouldn't think true whitewash would harm the wood, as a matter of fact it was commonly used on the interior of barns, chicken coops and the like. Non-toxic to animals, I would think that if the wood was left natural on the exterior then whitewashing the interior wouldn't harm, and would greatly lighten the interior.

But I know you'll do your own research.

RCJ

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275
http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/River_City_John
Kent Shootwell
Top Active Citizen

Got whiskey, will stumble.

« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2017, 10:18:19 am »

John, I don't believe I will white wash the inside as that would be much to refined for the likes of me. But I do like to hear ideas and suggestions. I had a buddy observe my struggles with cutting the notches as the walls get higher and he thought why not cut them on the ground. Seems that would be a good idea so I measured the top logs and put them down in the same order and leveled then squared them. Now I can work from the ground much easier and safer. Two more courses and I can put them on top and cut the door! A view from the west.

Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
Capt Quirk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2017, 11:41:51 am »

I used red clay for our little cabin, and it doesn't hold well alone. Chop up some straw or pine needles into 2-3 inch pieces, and mix it in with your clay. I'm not sure where you are, but if bugs are a problem, you might want to mix up a solution of borax and water, and soak the logs down with it. It helps protect it from termites and boring beetles. One more thing, make sure you have plenty of overhang with your roof.

Sir Charles deMouton-Black
THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2017, 05:50:39 pm »

In the old days, semi-firm road apples were used.

A common feature of old cabins I have encountered was nailing strips of wood split from saplings over the chinking.

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”
Kent Shootwell
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2017, 08:22:56 pm »

Captain, this cabin is located on ground that may be best discribed as small rock with traces of dirt. There is a trail a few miles away that turns into what we call grease when it rains and I hope to use that for the dobbing with grass mixed in. Bugs aren't a problem as long as the wood is off the ground. It's plenty dry and an average days humity can be 10- 15%
Sir Charles, road apples would add a certain air to the place but I'm hoping rancid bacon grease and sweaty boots will cover the whiskey and cigar smells enough. I've seen the wood splits used too and need to see if that's needed.

Member, whiskey livers
Reverend P. Babcock Chase
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2017, 07:23:46 am »

Howdy K. Shootwell,

Don't forget to cut in the rifle ports.

Reverend Chase
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2017, 07:24:05 am »

Howdy K. Shootwell,

Don't forget to cut in the rifle ports.

Reverend Chase
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2017, 07:25:31 am »

Oops,

My devise seems to have gone full auto

Reverend Chase
dusty texian
Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Dusty Texian

« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2017, 01:53:25 pm »

That fitting the logs on the ground , worked out good. They look tight .  How heavy are the logs ? Do you roll them up there on a couple of poles? When you get that door cut , should make getting around the place to work on it a bit easier . Looking Good Kent!!! ,,DT
Ben Beam
SASS Affiliated Merchant (#105892)
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2017, 07:17:10 pm »

I am so impressed by this, and really appreciate you taking the time to post pictures and share it with everyone.

Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!
http://www.BenBeam.com
Kent Shootwell
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2017, 11:16:32 pm »

Reverend, move the selector to semi from full auto!
Dusty, I calculate from 350 to 400 lbs per log so I just snap and press them over my head.  Grin  Or some times I use the bobcat you may notice in the last photo.
Ben, I'm glad to share.

Member, whiskey livers
Capt Quirk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2017, 11:27:02 pm »

Or some times I use the bobcat you may notice in the last photo.

That's almost like cheating! I had to muscle the logs into place, with only my step son to help... I wish I had a Bobcat... Roll Eyes

Ben Beam
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2017, 10:35:10 pm »

This is what you need: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luygMuoFnXs#

Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!
Kent Shootwell
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2017, 10:17:52 am »

Made some good progress but now that photo bucket is of no use I can't post a photo. If some one will give me step buy step instructions on how I could post pictures I would be obliged.

Member, whiskey livers
Ben Beam
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2017, 10:54:33 am »

• Go to Imgur.com
  • Click “New post” in the upper left (green button)
  • Choose your image(s)
  • Add a title and description if you’d like
  • You’ll see a URL on the right side with “Copy” next to it. Click that and it will copy the URL into your clipboard for you to paste onto a web page or email.

That’s it. If you create a free account you have more options about who can see your posts, creating and modifying albums, etc. Here’s an example: www.imgur.com/GInACZf

Be aware that it’s actually an active social community, so if you make your post public (which it is by default), many people will see it. My sample image had over 100 views in the time it took me to add it to this post!

Kent Shootwell
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2017, 01:50:46 pm »

Thanks, Ben
http://imgur.com/a/3syV8
So here it is all stacked up and the door opening cut out. I've got a window cobbled up that I will put in after the roof is on and I've hammered together a door. A saw mill is cutting 1"X 6" rough cut pine for me that will be the roof then I'll put cedar slabs on for shingles. A couple of posts will be added to the porch but no railings. Found a simple oak chair a garage sale for a buck so furnisher is started.  For now the wife and I need to heal up awhile before doing anything more.

Member, whiskey livers
dusty texian
Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Dusty Texian

« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2017, 04:50:11 pm »

That's looking good  !  A lot of work right there. ,,DT
Kent Shootwell
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2017, 03:42:11 pm »

Thanks Dusty.
Now if you or any one would tell me step by step on how to post a photo from my PC I'd give you the latest view. It isn't just using the "additional options..." for me.

Member, whiskey livers
Baltimore Ed
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2017, 04:04:14 pm »

Kent, I had to load an app onto my iPad to convert my iPad photos to jpeg in order for them to transfer to the CAS city forum. When I decide to add a photo to a post I have to download the photo to the app, convert it on the app and then when I go additioal options on the cas city reply page I pull the photo from the jpeg photo album not any of my other albums. It works. Don't know if that helps.

* image.jpeg (23.83 KB, 768x1024 - viewed 21 times.)

"Give'em hell, Pike"
Kent Shootwell
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2017, 07:29:12 pm »

Working from my PC my photos are jpeg and sized to less then 400 kbs. Now I got it! There's no preview so I just hit post. This shows the door framed in and the porch posts. The nasty blue trap allows me to work threw the common afternoon storms and gives me a bit of shade. Hope to get the roof boards this week.

* IMG_0102 (2).jpg (119.22 KB, 480x320 - viewed 57 times.)

Member, whiskey livers
Coal Creek Griff
Top Active Citizen

With Cheyenne Luke

« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2017, 10:10:25 pm »

That is SO cool! Thanks for letting us see your progress.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573
Baltimore Ed
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2017, 11:18:34 pm »

Very nice. Glad you got it to post.

"Give'em hell, Pike"
Kent Shootwell
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2017, 09:04:13 pm »

Got my saw mill lumber and covered the roof. The lumber is very rough and varies by up to 3/8" in both thickness and width and end to end . All the better for that rustic look! Now to the chimney hardware before I start shingling. I've been making my cedar shingles in between hammering nails. How it looks and a view out the door way.

* IMG_0115a.jpg (74.62 KB, 400x267 - viewed 52 times.)

* IMG_0114a.jpg (58.52 KB, 400x267 - viewed 41 times.)

Member, whiskey livers
Capt Quirk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2017, 07:41:07 am »

Coming along very nice Sir.

litl rooster
Cowboy Philanthropist
Top Active Citizen

I ain't sold my saddle

« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2017, 10:01:19 am »

Where did you learn to knock your joints?  Looks proffessional.

"the ringin' of my jinglebobs is music to my soul.

Joshua 1.9

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The American Plainsmen Society (Moderators: Caleb Hobbs, Tsalagidave)  |  Topic: Log cabin « previous next »
Jump to: