Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2017, 01:28:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The American Plainsmen Society (Moderators: Caleb Hobbs, Tsalagidave)  |  Topic: Log cabin 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Log cabin  (Read 15327 times)
Kent Shootwell
Top Active Citizen

Got whiskey, will stumble.

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2017, 07:01:19 pm »

Hold your horses Rooster. The snow up there is measured in feet for many miles, I'll post some thing as soon as I can get there.

Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
Tascosa Joe
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2017, 09:48:19 am »

Since Colorado has not had much winter this year will you be able to get in to the cabin early?

NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life,
Kent Shootwell
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2017, 02:49:15 pm »

Joe, I'm going to try soon. In this video the far away ridge line with the taller trees is were I need to get, drifting is the problem. By the way this is my buddy's video.

https://youtu.be/JHkcfeU56i8

Member, whiskey livers
Kent Shootwell
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2017, 11:04:22 am »

Finally made it to the cabin, it wasn't easy! Despite the mild winter the drifts were many and deep. Many dead trees had fallen across the trail and the sun had made the snow very hard. But 6 of us with a Jeep and a 4 wheel drive pick up using only shovels, chains, tow strap, wench, axe and a chain saw made it! Construction season has begun by the wife and I stripping bark for now. Let me assure you when you get into your mid 60s it's tiring.

Winter did allow me to build this rifle that will sit across my lap up there some day. It's a 40 calibre with a Siler lock kit and a pretty fair stick of maple. The engraving is my first ever attempt.

Member, whiskey livers
dusty texian
Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Dusty Texian

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2017, 11:11:05 am »

Fine work all the way around Kent. The rifle looks great and will fit perfect on the porch of that Rocky Mountain Cabin ! ,,DT
River City John
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Mr. & Mrs. John Covert

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2017, 11:53:15 am »

Beautiful work, Kent. As Dusty said, both the rifle and cabin. I am so jealous, but happy you're living the dream. (I see that you're a southpaw.)

Keep the pics coming.

RCJ

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275
http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/River_City_John
James Hunt
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2017, 04:26:38 pm »

WOW! Looking at that rifle I can see that the cabin will be a dandy. I envy your skills. The fact that you are doing this at 60+ is a credit to your lifestyle and amazing (I am 68). The fact that you have a wife willing to strip bark is over the top!!!!!!

NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)
Ben Beam
SASS Affiliated Merchant (#105892)
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2017, 07:37:34 pm »

Since Colorado has not had much winter this year will you be able to get in to the cabin early?

We didn't get a lot at lower elevations, but I believe the mountains got above average snowfall.

Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!
http://www.BenBeam.com
Tascosa Joe
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2017, 08:21:20 am »

I stopped off to see my wife's family in Boulder and that is what they have stated.  We have a small farm out north of Lamar.  Very little moisture out there this past winter.

Ben Beam
SASS Affiliated Merchant (#105892)
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2017, 09:30:41 am »

I stopped off to see my wife's family in Boulder and that is what they have stated.  We have a small farm out north of Lamar.  Very little moister out there this past winter.
It's been really dry here, but the mountains have been getting frequent snowfall this year. With the warmer weather, there's some concern about flooding, and are still recovering from the flood of 2013.

http://kdvr.com/2017/01/17/a-colorado-contrast-drought-on-the-plains-mountains-are-piled-under-snow/

Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!
http://www.BenBeam.com
Kent Shootwell
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2017, 11:32:17 am »

My buddy has been playing with a drone and shot this yesterday. We were at what I call the lodge to get ready for this seasons work and he made it complete with music right there. I'll be using this place for my base during construction of the cabin that is about 300 yards west at the beginning of the video. You can see it's getting crowded up there.  Grin

Member, whiskey livers
River City John
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Mr. & Mrs. John Covert

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2017, 11:39:27 am »

Video wouldn't play. I got a warning bar at the top with "Exception!"

RCJ

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275
Kent Shootwell
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2017, 12:29:22 pm »

Sorry John, I just touched on the picture then when photo bucket came up I touched the play arrow and away it went. Computers!

Member, whiskey livers
Major 2
"Still running against the wind"
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2017, 02:24:34 pm »

Neat Video
Coal Creek Griff
Top Active Citizen

With Cheyenne Luke

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2017, 03:54:08 pm »

That is awesome!  Thanks!

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573
Professor Marvel
purveyor of useless items to the gentry
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

life is too short to waste on stupid

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2017, 03:45:47 pm »

Video wouldn't play. I got a warning bar at the top with "Exception!"
RCJ

Greetings John -
the "exce[tion" is from firefox blocking the "unsafe Adobe player"
Adobe is very .... easily hacked....  and is well known to carry the "virus of the week". Adobe updates are incredibly frequent,

rather than mess with it I allow adobe to run by clicking a button that comes up, or just copy th link and open the link in IE or Chrome.

hope this helps
pf mvl

Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Oregon Bill
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2017, 10:11:42 am »

Wow, what a handsome rifle!
Stripping the bark has to be satisfying, if a bit tedious. Using a draw knife?
dusty texian
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Dusty Texian

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2017, 11:38:49 am »

Sitting on the porch sippin spirit's , and playing with a drone. What'LL they think of next . Life is good aint it Pard! ,,DT
Kent Shootwell
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2017, 03:54:24 pm »

Thanks Bill, I'm fairly satisfied with it. Using the draw knife is just work for me but has to be done. Makes for a cleaner brighter cabin and less places for bugs.
Dusty, if I knew that retirement would turn out this way I would of done it sooner!
Pr. Marvel, Thanks for being our computer geek here. I sure don't understand much about these things even with my 12 years of education, graduated the 6th grade don't you know.

Member, whiskey livers
Professor Marvel
purveyor of useless items to the gentry
Top Active Citizen

life is too short to waste on stupid

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2017, 11:21:52 pm »

My Dear Kent  -
Your Cabin is a treasure, those logs are what, 1 foot diameter? and what kind of wood, ponderosa pine?

Your Rifle is apiece of art, and a suitable caliber for Whistle Pigs or to take down any offending drone not previously approved by the Porch Commander!

as a freshly "retired from the computer developer/hacker/nerd/geek business "  guy I am happy to offer what little assistance my little grey cells can offer, whilst I continue to enjoy YOUR cabin and rifle vicariously!

yhs
prof marvel

Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Kent Shootwell
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2017, 11:44:50 am »

The logs are mostly lodge pole and are from 14" to16" except for the sill logs that are about 20" thick.
I now have 14 more logs striped and at the site ready to begin notching soon. Decided to put boards on the porch to make it easier to move around and it has to be done anyways. They are saw mill cut at a full 2" thick from lodge pole pine.
While working on it we saw deer, antelope, elk and moose. Also birds from blue birds to a bald eagle. The moose walked up to about 30 yards of the cabin so he must be the building inspector of the area.

Member, whiskey livers
dusty texian
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Dusty Texian

« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2017, 11:56:39 am »

Hope you pass his inspection! ,,DT
River City John
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Mr. & Mrs. John Covert

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2017, 12:49:16 pm »

Kent,
what do you plan to chink the cracks with?
And what are your plans for finishing the interior walls?

RCJ

NCOWS #L146
GAF #275
Kent Shootwell
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2017, 08:26:51 pm »

Dusty, we must of passed as he just grunted and walked by!
RCJ, I only have heard to not use cement and the old cabins around here are chinked with local clay mud. I'm open to suggestions. The most knowledgeable fellow in these parts has several original cabins on his ranch. He told me that the best way to make a cabin last is to not put any thing on the wood. Seems if the wood gets wet it will dry unless the water is trapped in by some thing. A good roof and being off the ground has kept his old log building working for over a hundred years so I figure that's long enough for my needs. I will put my bear skin up on one wall.

Member, whiskey livers
Tascosa Joe
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2017, 10:12:46 pm »

You might contact the Barnwood Builders guys in W. Virginia, they use some kind of modern formula chinking that last for a very long time.  They are on DIY TV if you get that channel.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The American Plainsmen Society (Moderators: Caleb Hobbs, Tsalagidave)  |  Topic: Log cabin « previous next »
Jump to: