Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 12:49:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Shotguns  |  Topic: 12Ga All Brass Hulls - 10Ga Plastic Wads >> REPORT !! LATEST RE-REPORT 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 12Ga All Brass Hulls - 10Ga Plastic Wads >> REPORT !! LATEST RE-REPORT  (Read 6932 times)
Bibbyman
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2016, 06:51:03 am »

I shot 6 stages with my TTN clone - Colt 1878 - yesterday.  No missfires.   I did shoot over one knockdown but all others went down as ordered.  Roll Eyes
Bibbyman
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2016, 03:40:05 pm »

Coffenmaker,  you say you had several misfires with one barrel?  Well could be a weak spring.  I had trouble with my CZ-USA hammer coachgun but cleaning the firing pin and cavity fixed the problem.   

Also,  how are you priming the hulls?  If however you're doing it ends up with them flush with the base,  they may not be bottoming out in the pocket.  I happened onto a used MEC 600 12 gauge loader.  I took the primer cup and chucked it in my lathe and turned down to post to large pistol diameter,   I had some primed hulls that I put through the MEC with smaller post and you could actually feel a few seating deeper.  It wasn't much but if the hammer strike is marginal,   it could make a difference.

The springs are so heavy on my Colt that I don't know if I need powder or primer.  The hammer fall should be able to knock the shot out of the barrel.   

There is a chance TTN springs would work in my Colt.  I don't want to go butchering around on the originals.
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2016, 10:11:59 pm »

Bibbyman,
Well, I suspect it may be a weak Main Spring.  Like I said, Lotta rounds thru it.  I prime my Hulls on my Drill Press.  I have a Brass Mandrel
turned to fit all the way down in the hull.  Just shove it down with the Quill.  Pretty easy to do.

Same Same the Main Springs on my J P Sauer.  Main Springs from hell.  I do not however want to go messing with them until I can find
a source for a replacement set first.  Maybe two replacement sets.

Not sure if TTN mains would work on your Colt.  I've never had an actual Colt in hand to inspect and/or compare parts.  Be worth a try
though.

Thank You again for your help with the 10Ga Wad help.  Works super well.  Patterns well enough that chokes are unnecessary.

Coffinmaker
tommy4toes
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2016, 06:20:58 pm »

Very interesting, gents ! Best thing I've found for BP / subs and plastic components is vinegar Windex and a tornado brush.

T4t
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2016, 06:56:27 pm »

Well piffelfritz.  I never came back with the results of my trials and tribulations.  Figured it out ...... finally.  I kept getting occasional fail to fire with ALL but one of my doubles.  That one is a J P Sauer antique with Unimog springs.  DID NOT have the problem in any of the guns with conventional plastic ammo, commercial or reload.  Suddenly ...... my All Brass loads .... miss-fire.  Anyway.

As it turns out , the problem was primers.  Using my drill press to seat the primers only insures the primers are flush with the bottom of the case, not necessarily bottom'd in the pocket.  Created the miss-fires.  Picked up an inexpensive Lee Classic 'cause it has a primer seater that works a real treat.  Tried the cases in my most lightly sprung Hammer Gun and not a single fail to fire with the cases that the primers were put in with the Lee press.  I think I can safely declare problem solved.  However, after multiple tests, I rather doubt the neighbors kat will ever be the same  Grin

Coffinmaker
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Shotguns  |  Topic: 12Ga All Brass Hulls - 10Ga Plastic Wads >> REPORT !! LATEST RE-REPORT « previous next »
Jump to: