Author Topic: Full length case sizing Starline 56-50...lubes...  (Read 9592 times)

Offline Dakota Widowmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Full length case sizing Starline 56-50...lubes...
« on: November 15, 2005, 11:11:13 PM »
Well, I had to prove it to myself, but again.

I used some RCBS and some Hornady lubes... hardly worth writing about.
(at one point, I thought I had enough "One-Shot" on the case and it had dried a good 3 min, but, I almost couldn't get the case out!!!)

I took 5 cases that were rather ill looking and lubed them with Lee case lube.

Damn, if it didn't work just as it had with all my other cases...PERFECT!!!

Every case sized as they were supposed to be and after another tumble with crushed walnut media, comes out looking GOOD AS NEW!!!

Lots of folks make fun of Lee Precision equipment...but, I place alot of stock in them cheese-heads.

the 3 hole turret has loaded thousands of rounds for me and their case lube has worked as promised. (a bit messy, but, easy to apply and ready to use right away)

I don't know what you folks use, but, this is my testimony as it pertains to reloading for the Spencer (Taylors) 56-50.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Re: Full length case sizing Starline 56-50...lubes...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 10:15:29 AM »
Amen,

I use a Lee turret press with an auto index in either 4 or 3 station depending on what I am loading.  I load from 38 S&W for my pocket pistol, up to 50-70 for my rolling block.  I call it my "poor man's progressive press"  hehe!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 10:23:04 AM »
Initially I only neck sized my 56-50s, leaving about 1/2" of gap between the top of the shell holder and the bottom of the sizing die.  These rounds functioned flawlessly, and even held a little more BP.  The problem I had was that when using .512 bullets, they would spin in the cases mouth after crimping.  I resorted to full length sizing, which still allows 40 grains vol. of Triple Seven.

The Lee and RCBS lubes  work really well.  When I had a 45-120, it was a bear to full length size.  Hornady's spray on lube (One Shot) would not do it.  Lee and RCBS lubes made it easy!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:04:47 PM »

Offline Ed Clintwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 09:54:28 PM »
Has anyone used the Lee hand press for .56-50?  Dillon doesn't make a shell plate anymore and I don't have room to set up my old RCBS press.  I was thinking that the Lee would solve the problem.  It would be a PITA, but then I don't plan on loading 1000 rounds a month either.  I figure one of the Lee powder scoops ought to have something that would do for 777.  Any thoughts.

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2005, 06:17:31 AM »
The 56-50 Taylors Spencer from Starline is a tapered case.  The base portion is pretty thick and takes a bit of work to size.  The Lee hand press would do it, but might be a bit of effort.  The best case lube I have found, bar none, is the Imperial Sizing Die Wax.  A little dab goes a long way, and it works better when forming cases than any others I have tried.
French Jack

Harve Curry

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 10:10:31 AM »
I use C-H dies, lube pad or spray lube (someone mentioned cooking spray like PAM works), on a old RCBS Rockchucker press. I keep reloading the same 20+- pieces I started with over 10 years ago.

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2005, 10:57:08 AM »
Has anyone used the Lee hand press for .56-50?  Dillon doesn't make a shell plate anymore and I don't have room to set up my old RCBS press.  I was thinking that the Lee would solve the problem.  It would be a PITA, but then I don't plan on loading 1000 rounds a month either.  I figure one of the Lee powder scoops ought to have something that would do for 777.  Any thoughts.

Yes, I tried using the Lee hand press for sizing my 56-50 brass and it was not possible.

The X-22 shell holder from Lyman that goes with the dies doe NOT fit the tighter Lee hand press. It does fit the holder on the turrets and single stages, though.

Lee does NOT make a shell holder for the 50-70...

The Lee dipper ("scoops") can measure pretty close to 30, 35, 40, and 45 gr of volume for FFg and FFFg equivalents.

Offline Ed Clintwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2005, 11:53:23 AM »
Looks as if I'll have to find room for the old RCBS press that I have and pick up a set of Lee scoops.  Thanks all for the input.  Has anyone tried the Dillon spray lube.  I find it to work real well on .45 LC but I really miss my carbide die that went somewhere.

Offline geo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2005, 04:35:53 PM »
have had no problems with the rcbs dies and the lee hand loader. perhaps polishing/cleaning the brass longer will help. guys, this is a low pressure low velocity round. don't make a buick straight 8 into a chevy 327 (showing my age).
i have always wanted to find a rolling block single shot .45 long colt repro pistol to convert to 56-50. if i could find the .45. any thoughts? thanks in advance. geo.

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2006, 02:34:10 PM »
Well, your best bet would be to find a good used Pedersoli black powder 50cal sharps. (I think they come in 54cal ro so...)

I too have thought about converting a cap-n-ball sharps to a true cartridge model... they are out there and it has een done. But, its not a "cheap" solution. Lining the barrel and converting the hammer and falling block are all doable, but, not something that could be done with hand tools.

There were thousands of sharps that were converted to shoot 56-52/50 and 50-70.

If they could do it back then, there is no reason someone couldn't do it today.

Offline Ed Clintwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 08:39:47 PM »
Well I got the RCBS Jr press set up and tried the Dillion lube, no luck, not worth a bucket of warm spit.  I had an old (and I mean old like 25 years) with RCBS lube on it that was still a bit sticky.  I really rolled the case in it and got it to size.  I have now ordered a new bottle of the RCBS goo.  Now all I need are bullets  :P oh, and the gun

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2006, 01:44:02 PM »
I picked up the die set that Taylor's was selling and just this past August I had to order the RCBS shell holder for their .50-70 so I could handload them.  I also picked up a Lyman M-Die to bell the case mouth to start the bullet in.  I haven't had any problem full length sizing these casines with Imperial Sizing Wax.  It works with all my rifle and WCF brass.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Apache Jim

• Citizen
    • Military Warehouse
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2006, 03:11:33 PM »
Just this morning I full length sized 100 new Starline cases lubed with Hornady's One Shot using Lyman's 56-50 dies in an RCBS Rock Chucker press with absolutely no problems.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com