Author Topic: Flood cleanup?  (Read 2207 times)

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Flood cleanup?
« on: June 03, 2016, 09:52:19 AM »
Moderator: Please move if-needed, thanks!
Pards & Pardettes, All,
Once or twice a month the 'Old Grumpies' & I get together for a gallon or two of coffee, the topics of discussion usually run for a couple of hours on the weather, politics, gun trivia, etc. This past weekend was no different except the topic of flooding in Texas came up and one old Waddie asked a question that actually baffled some of us even though it seemed pretty basic when first proposed. It went like this, "How do you get all the flood crud and water marks out of, and off of, a rifle that has been stored in a safe and under water in a flooded basement or garage?" After the usual "Duh!" answers we all rethought the question in a broader aspect and came up almost blank.
It follows that the 'little things' associated with flood water are not normally dealt with when cleaning a rifle after an event or hunting outing where you might get it wet or muddy and have plenty of time to clean it up, give it a "...night, night!" kiss and put back in a dry safe. Little things like total submersion in tainted water, chemicals of a wide variety swirling through chrome liners and interior pins and parts, wood stain and grain being lifted beyond acceptable ratios, etc., etc., etc.
It then became obvious that none of us had any total restorative experience and scratched our collective heads coming up with a few answers to get started, then we scratched them some more.
Sooo, I'll jist toss the above problem out there to all you experts and see what transpires for positive feedback, please reply only if you have a workable suggestion, not looking to start a range war or "...he-said/she-said it is the only way!" response.
Best regards and don't forget to keep the pumps primed!
'Ol Gabe
P.S.
One other add-on to this was also discussed, 'if' the rifle can't be restored enough to use safely, how can you tell that if you see it on a sale table at successive gun shows?

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Flood cleanup?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 01:15:54 PM »
Well...
No suggestions here, but I did get some interesting suggestions from a few pards off-line about their expereinces but they all wished to remain anonymous.
Her are some thoughts from them all, just random suggestions.
-Keep the rifle in clear, clean water after taking out of a flooded safe or storage unit. Put in long container or old bathtub and keep submersed changing the water regularly for 10-12 days or til it runs clear. If possible, take it apart but keep all the parts in water. After 10 days start to slowly drain keeping the parts damp til they start to dry slowly by themself, hopefully in a dry garage or basement other that the one flooded so chemical residue and odor won't drive you or the wife crazy! As they dry to an almost complete stage, start to slowly and soflly wipe down with Baby Butt Wipes, no brand specified, just inexpensive as you'll need a lot of them. Wipe everything clean then set on a dry towel, turning every 4-5 hours.
Redo the wipe process again, 2-3 times til everything comes completely clean and sparkly, dry in warm area or full direct sun til all metal and wood is almost hot to the touch. Use any of your favorite lubes or post-range cleaner, wipe clean and repeat then put on sealer such as Rig or any other sealer you prefer. If any spots come back use a mild scrubber pad or fine steel wool and Ballistol and rub in circles over the spots til rust or stain is gone then re-lube and keep in dry place. Check daily to see if any spots come back and re-apply steel wool as needed. Recheck once a week for a month and if OK then try a safe firing setup, clean as normal and keep your fingers crossed!
-Put rifle/gun in direct sunshine for 4 days in a row then use rust remover with steel wool to get stains and any rust out. Clean as normal after shooting and keep in sun for 2 more days then repeat process. Works in Prairie and Mountain states most of the time due to dry humidity.
-Wipe down everything with Hoppe's #9 and set in a room that is A/C'd for 3 days then repeat. Clean as after a shoot then set outside in hot sun, wipe down with Hoppe's and put away, check every week and start from scratch if not working using more #9 and sun.
-Trade fresh homemade baking goods for a competent gunsmith to do it for you, might take several pies and cakes but it'll shine when he is done and your significant other won't complain "...about getting those stinking guns out of here!" after she is done baking.
No expert here, but any moisture in a safe is hazardous, hope all goes well if you decide to try any of these home recipes, if you have one that works well or can be adjusted to this purpose, post it or me and I'll be happy to get it where it needs to be.
Best regards and good shooting!
'Ol Gabe
P.S. I don't approve or deny how well any of them might work except the one suggesting pies and cakes, who could turn down fresh pie?

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 02:36:41 PM »
ol Gabe,

This is just my opinion, but, clean up after a flood is a great deal easier than after a fire.
Taking care of the metal parts and pieces, are as you suggest. Hopefully salt water was not involved, which can add to the problem of clean up.

Wood parts such as stocks and forearms can suffer greatly from complete submersion in water for a period of time.
These need to be check very closely and allowed to dry slowly to save them.
Re finishing will, in most case be required. Do this only after the wood is well dried and inspected for checks and cracks.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Advertising