Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Evans
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 10:39:38 AM »
Interestingly, I just acquired a New Model Evans rifle with a 30-inch barrel.  Haven't had time to do anything with it yet. There is an outfit that can make cartridges for it: Colorado Custom Cartridge Co., LLC.  Haven't had time to contact them, or figure out just how to load ammo.  NOT cheap! About $2 a round!  Their web site is www.coloradocustomcartridges.com .  Apparently, you can make brass by shortening .445 Winchester, or loading .44 Magnum brass with a long bullet. Again, I haven't had time to experiment. Also, there is the question of bullet diameter, and whether, as the linked site video stated, you have to use a hollow-base, sub-diameter bullet or not.  We'll see... :)
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline buttebob

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 06:17:49 AM »
We had one at the gun shop I worked at back in the late '80's early '90's. All the weight is in the rear of the rifle.
There were two calibers: 44 Short and 44 New Model or Long. Brass can be made from 38-40 for the Short and 30-40 for the Long. The rim needs to be trimmed and the base swaged down on both. I think the Short is 1" long and the Long is 1.4" long.
I think the 44 Short cambering would hold 34 rounds and the Long would hold a little over 20 rounds.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:45:57 AM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 12:05:03 PM »
Here is a handy-dandy cartridge measurement table. I couldn't see the name "Evans", but the 440 short & long might be what you're looking for?

http://www.cartridge-corner.com/revolver.htm

BTW: scroll to the bottom to select tables for rifle calibers, etc.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline MARCOK

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 01:22:26 PM »
Got a new model Evans rifle ( and three other Evans configurations) that appears to have had a cleaning rod;
a plugged hole in front of the (short) fore-end and two dove-tails that probably held
cleaning rod retainers,  would anyone be able to produce detailed pictures on how this would have looked?
So I will be able to get it in its Original? condition. The features are there anyway.
Thanks on any info on these interesting guns.
Marco
The Netherlands

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com