Author Topic: Cimarron SAA vs. Ruger Vaquero  (Read 7502 times)

Offline Doug.38PR

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cimarron SAA vs. Ruger Vaquero
« on: May 27, 2016, 11:59:39 PM »
I have a Ruger New Vaquero in 4 inch barrel with plastic grips that came with the gun and my dad has a Cimarron 5 inch barrel with wood grips.   Both are .45 Colt.

After months of handling my Ruger Vaquero I reached into the safe tonight and pulled out dad's Cimarron.   There is just something about that gun that feels more natural and more....balanced.   I can't quite put my finger on it.

Of the Cimarron, in addition to the clockwork action feel and sound, the gun feels lighter and the barrel doesn't look as thick.  The barrel doesn't feel as heavy as the Vaquero either even though it is about an inch longer.

The wood grips also fit my hand a great deal more than the thinner plastic grips of the Vaquero.

These guns look so much the same, but something about the Cimmaron just feels lighter. 

What are y'alls experience in handling each?

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Cimarron SAA vs. Ruger Vaquero
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 01:18:00 AM »
Welcome to the Colt World. Don't it feel great !

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 05:37:55 AM »
I have a Ruger New Vaquero in 4 inch barrel with plastic grips that came with the gun and my dad has a Cimarron 5 inch barrel with wood grips.   Both are .45 Colt.

After months of handling my Ruger Vaquero I reached into the safe tonight and pulled out dad's Cimarron.   There is just something about that gun that feels more natural and more....balanced.   I can't quite put my finger on it.

Of the Cimarron, in addition to the clockwork action feel and sound, the gun feels lighter and the barrel doesn't look as thick.  The barrel doesn't feel as heavy as the Vaquero either even though it is about an inch longer.

The wood grips also fit my hand a great deal more than the thinner plastic grips of the Vaquero.

These guns look so much the same, but something about the Cimmaron just feels lighter. 

What are y'alls experience in handling each?

Until recently, I owned a 4 3/4" Ruger New Vaquero and a 4 3/4" Uberti, both in 45 Colt. My experience was precisely the same as yours. The Uberti just felt better and was easier to shoot, but I never was able to figure out exactly why . FWIW, my Ruger weighed 3 oz. more than the Uberti (39 oz. vs. 36 oz.).

CHT

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:51:37 PM »

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 08:22:47 PM »
Yep, Ruger vaqueros are great guns and even though their design is based on the Colt they just don't have the same feel and balance as a Colt or other accurate SAA reproduction such as the Cimarron.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 08:38:57 PM »
OK!!  My turn.  The Ruger is a "lump."  Hell for stout.  Well made, even if a bit loose.  I Built competition CAS guns for years.  Lots of
years.  I personally could never shoot a Ruger worth beans.  Didn't feel good, Didn't cycle good, sprayed lead.  I "never" could shoot a
Ruger.  It doesn't feel like anything other than a Ruger.  The only thing it copies is a Ruger.  Willy Lump Lump.  I have always been
able to tune them and set them up for CAS.  I have NEVER liked em.

An Uberti is bases on Colt.  Loosely.  They are a bit different in dimensions.  But ..... They "feel" better in the hand.  Now, I also have never
been able to shoot the SAA reproductions worth spit.  Only thing I can shoot and shoot well are Open Tops.  Or, Cap Guns.  Oh well.
Oh, did I mention ....... I don't like Rugers??  Yuck.

Coffinmaker

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 12:06:20 AM »
OK!!  My turn.  The Ruger is a "lump."  Hell for stout.  Well made, even if a bit loose.  I Built competition CAS guns for years.  Lots of
years.  I personally could never shoot a Ruger worth beans.  Didn't feel good, Didn't cycle good, sprayed lead.  I "never" could shoot a
Ruger.  It doesn't feel like anything other than a Ruger.  The only thing it copies is a Ruger.  Willy Lump Lump.  I have always been
able to tune them and set them up for CAS.  I have NEVER liked em.

An Uberti is bases on Colt.  Loosely.  They are a bit different in dimensions.  But ..... They "feel" better in the hand.  Now, I also have never
been able to shoot the SAA reproductions worth spit.  Only thing I can shoot and shoot well are Open Tops.  Or, Cap Guns.  Oh well.
Oh, did I mention ....... I don't like Rugers??  Yuck.

Coffinmaker

Lumpy Rutherford, Tubby Lumpkin or Baikal...take your pick.

CHT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com