Author Topic: Historic Spencer From Wilson's Raid in Alabama  (Read 2286 times)

Offline ucvrelics.com

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Historic Spencer From Wilson's Raid in Alabama
« on: May 24, 2016, 06:33:39 PM »
I promised I would post this as soon as I could so here it is. Now I know to you Shooters this Spencer is a boat anchor but A BIG THANKS to Fred I now know the old women's story was true. That one of Wilsons Cav Soldiers left it behind at their farm in Centerville Alabama during Wilsons Raid thru Alabama. Fred looked up the serial # 56474 and it was issued to the 6th Ill Cav. which at first didn't match up as the 6th Ill was part of Gen Hatch's Brig and did not accompany Gen Wilson on his raid. Then on further digging I found the answer. See Report of Gen Wilson in early 1865 below. Gen Croxton troops burned The University of Alabama and then proceeded thru Centerville to join Wilson before the Battle of Selma. I just want to Thank Two Flints for all his hard work with this site.

GRAVELLY SPRINGS, March 13, 1865-8.30 p. m.

(Received 16th.)

Major General GEORGE H. THOMAS:

General Hatch has generously stripped his command of every Spencer carbine and horse to fit up Croxton. He has not left 2,000 serviceable carbines; has 5,000 men already here, and more arriving. Horses and arms should be supplied him at once, if possible; and, if not possible, he should be ordered to Louisville. He has not arms enough to guard the stores from a determined attack. The interests of the service as well as the conduct of the division during the late campaign entitle it to a thorough refit. I am averse, however, to its going to Louisville if it can be avoided. I have directed General Hatch to send an officer to confer with you. Please give him instructions and do what you can to send horses, arms, and accouterments. I have telegraphed Major Chambliss.

J. H. WILSON,

Brevet Major-General.

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Thanks To Two Flints Historic Spencer From Wilsons Raid Alabama
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 04:50:24 AM »
Richard,

JUST MY OPINION, but based on the photos you posted and sent to me, I would make that Spencer a wall hanger and be very happy with what I had and its connection to the Civil War and General Wilson.  I'd probably have a detailed write up mounted and displayed next to the Spencer for all to read. 

To try and fix it up and make it a shooter would destroy its historic value . . . again, just my opinion.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk