Author Topic: Which is harder to clean?  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Which is harder to clean?
« on: May 23, 2016, 02:26:25 AM »
I own both an original 2nd Model S&W Russian, and  2 Ubertis...  I shot both today, the original with Black Powder loaded 44 Russian ammo, and one of the Ubertis with Smokeless (231) loads.

I cleaned the S&W in about 10 minutes or less, totally spotless.

I cleaned the Uberti in somewhat over a half hour, using a Lewis Led Remover and wire brush in the bore and chambers, and razor blade scraper (on the breech face).  Short of using a power drill motor, cleaning smokeless residue is a real chore, if you want it "really" clean, including the carbon rings in the cylinder and lead in the bore....  I have yet to see lead in a black powder bore.  And I consider 231 to be a fairly clean burning powder.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Which is harder to clean?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 11:05:54 PM »
I know it's late.  I'm Tired.  Thinking hurts.  butt ..........

Didn't you just answer your own question??  Did I miss something??  Was this a trique question??

Coffinmaker

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 08:53:10 AM »
Howdy

I always say that Black Powder clean up is easier than Smokeless, although it is also messier.

Just my favorite water based BP solvent and a few swipes of a bore brush and bristle brush and BP fouling melts away.

And for some reason that I have not yet figured out there is never any leading with BP.

Smokeless definitely requires more elbow grease.

However....................I never sweat cleaning up with Smokeless. I usually just put the gun away. Smokeless residue does not cause rust, at least not in my experience. And I gave up trying to clean the carbon rings off the cylinder of revolvers fired with Smokeless long ago. Just not worth the effort.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:55:31 AM »

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 06:13:27 PM »
Thank you Driftwood,

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who uses the "benign neglect" cleaning method with smokeless.

Reverend Chase

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 09:05:33 PM »
I discovered that doing some follow-up shooting with BP gets rid of the "carbon rings". I'm not sure of an explanation but BP cleanup makes it gone.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com