Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2017, 02:36:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Longbranch (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Silver Creek Slim, Camille Eonich)  |  Topic: Wood finish to match history of sport 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wood finish to match history of sport  (Read 6165 times)
Cholla Hill Tirador
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2016, 07:07:47 pm »

I'm with the Prof, correct or not, an oil finish does a wonderful job of enhancing wood, even without the application of stain. Correct? It's correct for me and others who appreciate it. Another attribute I appreciate is the ease with which nicks and dings are repaired; just rub a little more oil on the blemish and that's it!

But back to the original subject, if any of you own older Winchesters that have seen real world use, then you'll understand that using the "correct" finish for the "correct" look is academic. My two '73's, one 126 years old and the other 130 years old, wear stocks that look pretty much like my oil finishes. I presume the red hue that was once there is gone due to over a century of the rifles being handled and used. I own a couple of old '97's and their wood is pretty much the same way.

CHT
Coffinmaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2016, 09:14:38 pm »

Here is where the Brouhaha starts.  SO much of what has been posted is based on personal preferences.  Has noting to do with the actual chemistry or performances of what "we" apply to the wood.  Nature makes wood what it is.  Warts and all.  Then, in our infinite wisdom, we try and improve what nature makes.  Kinda silly, you think about it. 

Oil applied to wood can enhance the grain appearance, also can darken the wood.  Again, we're talking about personal preference.  Not what is best for the material.  If you want to really enhance the grain, before you take drastic measures, simply wipe denatured alcohol
on the piece.  Same affect will happen with some clear varnish finishes. 

I really don't want to get into a "deep" discussion on this forum.  I just realized just how much there is for most of you to have to learn before you can understand what is involved in real finishing.  This is not a school format.

Just this.  Before you jump all over someone and "tell" what is "best" for "completing" a gunstock, try and remember, your relating your
personal preference.  It may have nothing to do with what is actually "best."  The person your trying to impress, just may not really like
your results.  Especially if it takes a month to do.

Coffinmaker 
Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2016, 10:24:15 pm »

Well said and back to the original post, the job looked good, from the pictures, but the finish was not period correct.   I like a full filled linseed and I don't want to see a sanding scratch, if others don't like it, I could care less and if it gets damaged some I can refix it.   

Funny how so many want to be PC in a game where little is PC, and the same seldom vary into doing living history where PC is more important.  Actual period finish on a gun used to shoot steel target against an electronic clock, I don't see it. 

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.
Cholla Hill Tirador
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2016, 12:39:46 am »

Here is where the Brouhaha starts.  SO much of what has been posted is based on personal preferences.  Has noting to do with the actual chemistry or performances of what "we" apply to the wood.  Nature makes wood what it is.  Warts and all.  Then, in our infinite wisdom, we try and improve what nature makes.  Kinda silly, you think about it. 

Oil applied to wood can enhance the grain appearance, also can darken the wood.  Again, we're talking about personal preference.  Not what is best for the material.  If you want to really enhance the grain, before you take drastic measures, simply wipe denatured alcohol
on the piece.  Same affect will happen with some clear varnish finishes. 

I really don't want to get into a "deep" discussion on this forum.  I just realized just how much there is for most of you to have to learn before you can understand what is involved in real finishing.  This is not a school format.

Just this.  Before you jump all over someone and "tell" what is "best" for "completing" a gunstock, try and remember, your relating your
personal preference.  It may have nothing to do with what is actually "best."  The person your trying to impress, just may not really like
your results.  Especially if it takes a month to do.

Coffinmaker 

I don't think applying oil to a stock has anything to do with improving the wood, or is silly at all. Yes, oil does enhance the grain, but its primary purpose is to protect the wood, I think we all agree on that. Is it best at this? I doubt it, but it's what some of us happen to prefer. My guns are used extensively and I find an oil finish natural, durable and easy to maintain.

I haven't seen anyone in this thread yet proclaim their method or choice of finish is best and as we've all said, it's mostly personal preference. I've tried a couple of different finishes and found oil best suits my needs. I enjoy the rubbing in the final coats and watching the wood transform and the grain become more vivid.

Here's what "period correct" finish looks like:

126 years old:

130 years old:

They both look like oil to me, but I'm no expert by any stretch.

So, no brouhaha here, just discussion.

CHT

Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2016, 11:46:43 am »

They both look like oil to me, but I'm no expert by any stretch.

I guess not, if you can't be sure, I think this discussion has run it's course and the point has been proven because I sure ain't going to bother trying to explain how to tell the difference.

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Cholla Hill Tirador
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2016, 02:32:14 pm »

I guess not, if you can't be sure, I think this discussion has run it's course and the point has been proven because I sure ain't going to bother trying to explain how to tell the difference.

Blair
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2016, 03:29:45 pm »

Hmm, I wonder how this will play out?
My best,
 Blair

A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21
Delmonico
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2016, 03:38:38 pm »

Maybe a class in identifying finish, seems one is needed.   Roll Eyes

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Professor Marvel
purveyor of useless items to the gentry
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

life is too short to waste on stupid

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2016, 01:01:42 am »

Maybe a class in identifying finish, seems one is needed.   Roll Eyes

time to bring in a violin maker?

yhs
prof lost his marbles

Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards
Red Cent
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2016, 11:12:08 am »

http://prorestorers.org/notes/earlyFinishes.htm

Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L
Blair
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2016, 03:36:43 pm »

Red Cent,

Thank you for posting this information.
My best,
 Blair

A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21
Fox Creek Kid
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2016, 01:00:03 am »

Excellent article. Few today know (or remember) that Colt used varnish on civilian guns and oil finish (raw linseed oil) on Military contracts by Gov't request. Winchester gave the customer the option of both, with the varnish being a bit more expensive. Most of the "best" grade English guns were almost always finished with raw (not boiled) linseed oil which without dryers does take time to dry. This was confirmed on a the Double Gun forum awhile back based on interviews with a retired Purdey stockmaker. The ruddish color was obtained by steeping alkanet root in the jars of raw linseed oil.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  The Longbranch (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Silver Creek Slim, Camille Eonich)  |  Topic: Wood finish to match history of sport « previous next »
Jump to: