Author Topic: Colt Shotguns  (Read 4080 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline shrapnel

• There is nothing like the original
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Keeping what made the West safe, alive
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Colt Shotguns
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 05:38:12 PM »

Got one, they are nicely made...

I never considered myself a failure...I started out at the bottom and happen to like it here!

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 07:48:15 PM »
My first CAS shoot was with a Colt hammer shotgun and some cobbled together BP loads, a pair of Gen 1 .45 Colt revolvers and a .45 Colt (not a misprint - long story) M'92 Winchester carbine.
The leather was some Bowman & De George Boot Shop left over from UH Frontier fiesta in the early '50s.
When i saw the beating CAS guns and gear take I retired that setup and got some "modern" guns and leather that could be repaired if any thing broke.
Never looked back and now I have 3 safes and under the bed loaded with CAS guns. Is there a point where you have "enough" guns?
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:36:36 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 09:44:29 PM »
Bunk,

NO.  Nor can you have too many.  Simply not possible.  It is medically defined.  It's called "gottahavagunus."  There is no know cure.

Coffinmaker

Offline Blackfoot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 09:41:39 AM »
My first CAS shoot was with a Colt hammer shotgun and some cobbled together BP loads, a pair of Gen 1 .45 Colt revolvers and a .45 Colt (not a misprint - long story) M'92 Winchester carbine.
The leather was some Bowman & De George Boot Shop left over from UH Frontier fiesta in the early '50s.
When i saw the beating CAS guns and gear take I retired that setup and got some "modern" guns and leather that could be repaired if any thing broke.
Never looked back and now I have 3 safes and under the bed loaded with CAS guns. Is there a point where you have "enough" guns?
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Not many of us around that remember Frontier Fiesta at UH and Pioneer Roundup at SHSU!

Blackfoot ;)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 01:07:36 PM »
Shrapnel,
While I'm thinking about it.  You gotta big dog??  Alarm system??  Big heavy safe??  Tall fence??  I really really like that faque TTN
Hammer Double you got.  I could well load a big pile of All Brass 12Ga for it.  Really, I could be talked into giving it a really nice
semi-climate controlled new home!!  I mean, I ain't cheap ....... but I can be had ;)

Coffinmaker

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 07:54:11 PM »
Not that I intend to shoot it, but is that Damascus pattern on the barrel real or some kind of etching to mimic Damascus.
The barrels of my gun are faded but under the fore arm the pattern is quite plain.

Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 08:38:43 PM »

I lucked onto a Colt 1878 a little over a month ago.  I never thought I'd see one outside a museum or a picture online let alone own one.  It had been someone's project gun that still had issues.   I have made a  couple of parts and have it up and running.  The numbers are all matching on the metal parts.  It is an earlier model without the doll's head on the barrels.

The buttstock has been replaced with a nice piece of figured walnut but the forend wood is really worn this winter I plan to replace the forend wood and correct some features of the buttstock that are not like the original and checker it. (I use to do a passably good job of checkering 40 years ago.) 

Yes,  I have shot it and will shoot it this Saturday at our local match.  My loads are light loads of BlackMZ in brass hulls.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com