Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 25, 2017, 12:27:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  CAS FAQ (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Will Ketchum)  |  Topic: Help, I am new to this. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help, I am new to this.  (Read 3109 times)
357/38
« on: November 28, 2015, 08:45:20 pm »

I just purchase a Winchester 1873 reproduction Sporting color harden case model/ 357/ 38.
Many questions
1. What oil and clearer to use?
2. What type of ammo should use?
3. is ok to use round nose lead bullets?
River City John
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Mr. & Mrs. John Covert

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 11:42:02 pm »

Flat nose bullets ONLY.

Ammo to Cowboy Action Shooting specs or equivalent. NO +P rounds.

Many oil and cleaning products out there. Experiment. I use Ballistol, either mixed with water, 2 parts Ballistol to 8 parts water, or used straight. (I use Trail Boss powder in my reloads.)

RCJ

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275
http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/River_City_John
Abilene
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 11:17:32 pm »

Right, flat point only.  You will hear of people who have used round nose and got away with it, but it is not recommended.  If you use .38's, they usually need to be at least 1.45" long or the action will jam.  That length varies some so YMMV.  Here is an article by Pettifogger which will explain how the action works and how to determine the minimum length needed for your ammo:
http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/togglelink.pdf

I like Ballistol because it is both smokeless and black powder friendly.  I use it like River City John diluted with water to clean, but only for black powder.  For smokeless, use it straight for cleaning.  It seems to take more patches to get the barrel clean when shooting smokeless than some other cleaners, but that's okay.  Always use it straight for lubing the bore after cleaning.  For smokeless only, there are a lot of good ones.  Rem-Oil has a lot of fans, though I've never tried it.  Break-Free CLP as well.

Enjoy your '73! 

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  CAS FAQ (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Will Ketchum)  |  Topic: Help, I am new to this. « previous next »
Jump to: