Author Topic: Preparing for rain  (Read 5925 times)

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Preparing for rain
« on: November 21, 2015, 06:26:52 AM »
El Nino has got me thinking about how guns might be prepared before a match when you suspect rain might be part of the experience.

I'm not asking about how to clean guns after they're wet.  Rather, do you do anything special to your cowboy guns before the match?  Wax?  Lube?  Silicone?  Rain-ex?

Thanks for sharing any experience you have with water proofing your gunz.

Offline Sagebrush Burns

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Preparing for rain
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 09:56:52 PM »
Best I can do is whine about the weather...

Offline Flatbush

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 11:41:18 PM »
I don't do anything for the guns, but if rain is threatening I bring an umbrella for me, and a big plastic garbage bag I can slip over the gun cart.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:13:31 PM »

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 06:16:04 PM »
Usually my rain preparation consists of FORGETTING my rain coat. At least I forget all about it until I'm halfway there. Other than that, we've got a couple of those  carports installed at our range to park gun carts under, as well as ourselves while we wait for the rain to let up.

Offline hp246

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 09:37:51 PM »
I keep a large garbage bag in the box on my gun cart.  It is always there.  After the match everything gets a thorough cleaning and oiling.

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 02:55:45 PM »
If I shoot in the rain, I use WD-40 all over the metal when I get home. Then I use my air compressor to blow of excess water and WD-40. When I used to travel, I carried a small compressor in the 16' enclosed trailer with all the rest of the gear. 100 psi does wonders.
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Offline Two Spurs

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 07:46:32 PM »
Nothing special for the guns.  My long gun sleeves are with me and I've run Scotch guard on those which helps.

My two wheel cart (which is pretty common): picked up a BBQ pit/smoker cover at Home Depot for only $10. (Lots of different shapes to choose from.)  It stays on my cart full time, rolled up and tied up like a bed roll you'd tie on the back of your saddle. Not in the way, and extremely practical.  ;)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 10:10:52 PM »
Find a nice comfy spot onna couch, right next to a nice large warm and comfy dog.  Mug of Hot Coco or Hot spiced cider.  Think fondly of
those at the match getting soaked.  ;D

Coffinmaker

Offline Will Lynchem

• Top Active Citizen
  • New York City? Get a rope!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 06:41:14 PM »
Coffinmaker, I couldn't agree with you more!!! Unless you have shucked out a truck load of money and traveled have way across the country to EOT or Winter Range, why muddy up your gun cart and subject 3 or 4 thousand dollars worth of guns and equipment to the elements?  Much nicer to have a hot toddy a good movie and romp in the hay with your gal than be cold wet and miserable! JMHO!!             ;D
I call that bold talk for a one eyed fat man!!! 
NRA / Dirty Rats # 703 /  SASS # 99703

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 12:29:09 PM »
Find a nice comfy spot onna couch, right next to a nice large warm and comfy dog.  Mug of Hot Coco or Hot spiced cider.  Think fondly of
those at the match getting soaked.  ;D

Coffinmaker

Kinda roughing it, aren't you?

Drop a DVD in the player (Netflix is wonderful) and watch the western du jour... maybe two or three.  The fridge is only a dozen steps away and there is always something good there, too.

Once in awhile (IIGAS) I'll peek out to see if it's still raining.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com