Author Topic: Meanea Stamps  (Read 10551 times)

Offline Horseapples

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Meanea Stamps
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2016, 01:35:46 AM »
I would have to agree about the profile Buck.  The post statehood, post 1890 WYO stamp is clearly not from the 1880's and it surprises me that the author could make such a basic and easily identified mistake.  I am now wondering how many more might be in the book....

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2016, 10:09:03 AM »
Almost all of the info listed in Packing Iron, came from the collectors who own those items.  Although Richard Rattenbury is very well versed in the world of antique guns and cowboy gear, he was not a collector.  Even if he was, most collectors can't know everything about all of the pieces they collect.  This is true with the items pictured in the book.  Many educated collectors don't spend a lot of time analyzing all forms of all makers stamps used on the gear they own.  I had a leg up on Meanea and Gallatin stuff, only because I knew Jim laird.  He was the most knowledgeable person on the planet, when it came to these two saddle makers.  I got my first four copies from Richard, when they were first printed.  The book made it's first appearance at the Cowboy Collectable Show in Cody on the 20th of July in 1993.  He inscribed and autographed three copies for me and one for my mother, who was still living at the time.  Over the years, I've read the book many, many times and have found nothing of importance that I would consider an issue.  Unlike many other books I have.  One book in particular, written by another author many years ago, has a section on US marked single actions.  The caption under EVERY SINGLE photo, refers to these guns as "CALVARY" models.  The correct term of course, is "CAVALRY".  Who ever proof read that one, sure wasn't paying much attention.

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2016, 03:00:39 AM »
Thanks for that, Buck.
Yes, it's strange about 'calvary'. You see it a lot.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 04:19:32 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com